• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 464 SPX tactical lever rifle

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
I vote for option B.

Remember the Nintendo Power glove? It was the next big thing too. Way too complicated for the purpose at hand and a great example of just because you can, doesn't mean you should...

yup!!!

When I first saw the 464 SPX .30-30 tactical lever gun I fell in love with it. Now that I've had it for a week I know that I didn't make a mistake.

I've only put 24 rounds through it but it is everything I hoped for, it's small (the barrell is 16.25" long!) and light, but rugged. It has the adjustable stock which I find great, better than living with a gun that doesn't fit, and it has that smooth Mossberg action. I'm surprised that people are not lining up to buy it, it would be perfect as a truck or a working gun.

As soon as I can I'm putting a scope on it and I'll probably get a bipod (just for range shooting). This little beauty is going to get me reloading and doing all kinds of interesting things that I have never done before...

p.s. I'll post some pics as soon as I remember to take any.

That stock needs to go, it is an abomination! Having said that, the rest of the gun is GTG IMO.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Andrew, I think its awesome the gun is everything you hoped for and is workin well for you! You cant beat that at all and in the end, its as I've always said, it doesnt matter what the rest of us think about it. Its your goat and youre the only one feedin it.

Welcome to Mossberg Owners Andrew!

PS, You served in VietNam? Thanks for your service Brother!!!

Yeah, I think it's great, even the stock, tho I may also get a 'conventional' stock for when I want to dress it up a bit. When I say conventional I mean a black plastic stock to match the forearm that's hiding under the front rails.

Yep I was in Vietnam, all of 1966, I don't regret it in the least tho it was a bit confusing coming home afterwards.

And thanks for the welcome, I'm already planning my next Mossberg, another lever gun but in a more conventional attire. I saw someone mentioned a .44 Mag version, sounds mighty nice...

here's my baby:
Mossberg464SPX.jpg

Andrew, I can say for all of us here, we sincerely appreciate your service!

Man, I love the look of a classic lever gun, but the one most eye catchin to me recently is the marinecote model! The .44 would be sweet, but I'd love to have a .30-30!!!

andrew678122 said:
Yeah, I think it's great, even the stock, tho I may also get a 'conventional' stock for when I want to dress it up a bit. When I say conventional I mean a black plastic stock to match the forearm that's hiding under the front rails.

Yep I was in Vietnam, all of 1966, I don't regret it in the least tho it was a bit confusing coming home afterwards.

And thanks for the welcome, I'm already planning my next Mossberg, another lever gun but in a more conventional attire. I saw someone mentioned a .44 Mag version, sounds mighty nice...

Yes, thank you for your service.

Does Mossberg offer a traditional black stock for that? If so that would be awesome.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Serving my country was my honor...

Re the black plastic stock: I really don't know if Mossberg has the piece I need. Under the 3 rails on the fore end is a black plastic fore end, looks just like a regular rifle fore piece (other than the holes used to mount the 3 rails) but in plastic. I'd love to get a matching butt stock piece just so I could swap it out occasionally.

I like the adjustable ATI stock also. I have long arms and I can adjust the stock so the rifle feels great, better than most...

I have a real liking for the marinecoat lever action too... but I also like the blued pistol grip rifle, this is a mighty fine looking rifle:
Mossberg464bluedwalnut.jpg

It's $386 at Bud's...

I took my baby to the Ft Bliss Rod and Gun Club this morning and put 40 rounds through it. The first time I shot it I had trouble with the iron sights, but I figured out what was wrong, it was my sunglasses, they have a pronounced reddish tint which was making it difficult to see the green fiber optic rear sight. This time I even shot a couple of quarter size groups at 50 yards, and even 1 dime size group! Probably more down to luck, but what the hey, I'll take the credit. Overall I was pleased with it...

Not at all bad man! I'm happy with 3" groups most days at 50 yards! :lol:

I often shoot 3" groups at 50yds but I'm never happy with them, I know I can do better, at least I used to be able to do better, lol. I'm going to put some optical aid on my 464 SPX...

I own one. I admit it.

I was talking to a buddy the other day stating I’d never owned a lever action .30-.30, which is a sin as it’s one of the best West Texas brush guns there is. I have a pretty practical collection of guns a bit like many of you but also have 3 M4 variants, one a .300 Blackout, M500A with some goodies, plenty of tricked out 1911 and XD types, etc so I’ve got all the ‘tactical’ I really need, or so I thought.

I mean, come on, the ultimate Red Neck Assault Rife, RNAR!

Ok, it was like a train wreck, I just couldn’t look away, came across one on GunBroker’s with a few minutes left and no bids…so WTF, in an act of utter brilliance I bid, 15 minutes later I owned it.

It’s kind of like sleeping with a big girl, you won’t admit it but you’ve probably done it… but I bet you wont whip her out at the ranch. Nope. But this thing, well… I can’t wait to see the looks on my buddies faces.. “WTF is that?!” “Stand back, it fires a 30 megawatt laser, I can kill and cook all at the same time”…they’ll buy it, for a minute.

Yep, mount a good light and a red dot, the pigs won’t have a chance. How about some night vision? I think the barrel is threaded, anyone load subsonic .30-.30 before?

Hey, it’s not always about buying the prettiest, most sought after, collectible or even the best shooting gun. Sometimes it just about the fun.

It should be in next week, then....

Hold my beer and watch this!

Attachments

• G41026.jpg
    G41026.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 1,914
I'm still thinking about getting one...though something that ugly should only be approached with from behind and with great caution...Yet I have to say that it's so ugly that it has a certain charm to it...which I'm strangely attracted to :lol:

I typically don't suggest mixing alcohol and firearms but in this case it might help things a bit... kind of the end of the night at the bar thing.

However, if I can simply find an unstained stock I have some ideas that might make a pretty neat custom gun.

Anyone know where to buy unfinished stocks for a 464?

I'd like to see if anyone comes up with a suggestion. I suppose the 'standard' Mossberg ones can be ordered from the parts department... where ever that is...

^^^Yep! I'd try that route. It can always be stripped down I'd think.

1 month report:

I've had my 464 SPX for a month now, and have probably put over a hundred rounds through it. I have to say I love the rifle even more now than when I first bought it. It seems to have a break in period because the more I shoot it the better it does, the action is slicker, cartridges feed smoother, the magazine is easier to load, it just feels real nice. I really like the black Parkerized finish, it's a heavy coating that seems very durable, almost impossible to scratch. If Chuck Connors sees my baby he's going to be jealous.

I couldn't be happier with it.

DSC08047b.jpg

Back