• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 .410 Broken out of box

Isaac22lr

.22LR
Got a 500 .410 field, and it seemed cool and all, however it won't even chamber a shell, tried multiple different 3" shells, nothing works, seems like one shell tries to load and the bolt just doesn't go forward and it jams up, and if more rounds are in the magazine, it double feeds.

And of course I got it from Walmart so no returns.

Any tips?

My suggestion is to call Mossberg customer service. If they cannot resolve it over the phone they will send you a shipping label for return and repair.

It could just be a bent arm and is likely something really simple, but since it's a new gun, I suggest exactly what #1buck4me already said.

If Mossberg tries to get you to flip the bill for shipping on a brand new gun not working out of the box, tell them no way and ask for a supervisor.

I suspect a metal chip lodged behind an action bar.
I received guns from 3 makers last year which had chips.

Before you do anything, try spraying some WD40 in the action, then work it & blow it out with compressed air.

Received replacement part which fixed chambering issue, now shells just have failure to eject.
Is it a specific brand that fails or do all brands fail? My son's Maverick 88 was doing that with Federal from Walmart but was fine with Winchester. I solved the problem by polishing the chamber with fine steel wool and a few drops of oil.

Back