• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 - .410

ewcraig

Copper BB
Hi I just joined the forum & it looks like a ton of info.

Just wondering if any of you here have the Model 500, .410 from Walmart?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mossberg-500-All-Purpose-Pump-Action-.410/17656105

On the stock it reads 2.5 - 3 in shells. Does the mean that 2.75 inch shells work too, or just 2.5 and 3 inch shells?

I would appreciate hearing from forum members and any experiences with this gun.

I was planning on using it for home defense with 000 buck.

Thanks

Erik

Thanks Lazy Eyed Sniper. Do you know if this will take slugs? I have found conflicting info on the internet.

I shoot smoothe bore and don't have any experience with chokes.

The info I've seen out there regarding shooting slugs through full chokes looks like it's not a good idea, although someone else may come along and offer more information from first-hand experience...

ewcraig said:
Hi I just joined the forum & it looks like a ton of info.

Just wondering if any of you here have the Model 500, .410 from Walmart?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mossberg-500-All-Purpose-Pump-Action-.410/17656105

On the stock it reads 2.5 - 3 in shells. Does the mean that 2.75 inch shells work too, or just 2.5 and 3 inch shells?

I would appreciate hearing from forum members and any experiences with this gun.

I was planning on using it for home defense with 000 buck.

Thanks

Erik
If you plan on using slugs and larger buck shot ( such as '00' and '000') $66.00 (with maybe a little extra in change) will get you an 18.5 inch barrel for it, The barrel in question is from the 50455 (.410 Cruiser) I have a 50104 ( .410 field model the same as the one you linked to) with said barrel and a 50455 ( with a 13.5 inch synthetic stock installed) both shoot buckshot and slugs like champs.

The full choke barrel on the 50104 will pattern #4 buck very well though. ( Federal 3-inch 9-pellet #4 buck)

I have shot slugs through my "long" barrel 500E (.410) without any issues. You can get an 18.5" cylinder bore barrel from Mossberg's parts/service center (1-800-363-3555), Item # 10003, for about $67 + s&h.

To the best of my knowledge, .410 shells come in 2.5" and 3", no 2.75" I got a .410 Mossberg 500 a while back and it would lock up on me. I guess they are tighter than the 12 ga. guns. Two times I took it all apart and tried smoothing out anything that I thought could be smoothed and finally brought it to a gun smith who probably did the same. Between that and just shooting it, the gun started behaving as it should. I wish there was more ammo available for it as I enjoyed taking it out for Sporting Clays from time to time. I walk the course and I like the lighter weight of the gun and the shells I need to carry with me. David

To the best of my knowledge, .410 shells come in 2.5" and 3", no 2.75" I got a .410 Mossberg 500 a while back and it would lock up on me. I guess they are tighter than the 12 ga. guns. Two times I took it all apart and tried smoothing out anything that I thought could be smoothed and finally brought it to a gun smith who probably did the same. Between that and just shooting it, the gun started behaving as it should. I wish there was more ammo available for it as I enjoyed taking it out for Sporting Clays from time to time. I walk the course and I like the lighter weight of the gun and the shells I need to carry with me. David

Holy necro...the original post was from 2012.

Welcome from MI!!

Hi Mike, I just joined. I only have the one Mossberg which is why my post on the related thread. I shoot .22 rimfire a lot and belong to RimfireCentral where there are about 166,000 members. Quite a lot of posts. Thanks for the welcome. Regards, David

Yeah, I'm a member of rimfire central too, but haven't posted there in a couple of years.

last time I did, a few folks (some with high post counts that should've known better) were trying to tell me what I was doing was illegal, so that's when I decided it was time to move on to greener pastures to a more knowlegable member base that weren't just posting BS to pad their post counts. Especially when they were wrong in the first place.

Oh well.

Hi John, I am sorry you had that experience. I have found the collective knowledge on the board to be worth looking at. And I have tried to contribute to it in the areas I think I can be helpful. I have never heard of a high post count (excuse the pun) counting for anything. I read your "Unconstitutional laws are not laws" with the mind set of a lawyer and appreciate the sentiment. As a practical matter, until a law is struck down as unconstitutional, it is a law that allows a lower court to impose penalties. It is noble to take on such a law with a test case, but it can leave you bloodied and broke in the process. I am 79 years old and have lost the fire I once had to right all wrongs. I try to keep my head down and avoid conflict. Just a personal thing I guess. Nice to meet new folks. Do you have a Mossberg 500 in .410 and do you hunt with it ? Shooting sports like skeet or trap ? David

Some people think high post counts = more knowledge.

That is not the case.

I am not a lawyer. The wording "Unconstitutional laws are not laws" is in reference to many of the sentiments that our Founding Fathers had when they started this great country. Many of which were included in the Federalist papers. Many of which have been preserved from their personal correspondence between each other, and other places. Lots of quotes.

Consider this opinion of the Supreme Court:
The general misconception is that any statute passed by legislators bearing the appearance of law constitutes the law of the land. The Constitution of the United States is the supreme law of the land, and any statue, to be valid, must be in agreement. It is impossible for both the Constitution and a law violating it to be valid; one must prevail.
This is succinctly stated as follows:
The general rule is that an unconstitutional statute, though having the form and name of law, is in reality no law, but is wholly void, and ineffective for any purpose; since unconstitutionality dates from the time of its enactment, and not merely from the date of the decision so branding it.
An unconstitutional law, in legal contemplation, is as inoperative as if it had never been passed.
Such a statute leaves the question that it purports to settle just as it would be had the statute not been enacted.
Since an unconstitutional law is void, the general principals follow that it imposes no duties, confers no rights, creates no office, bestows no power or authority on anyone, affords no protection, and justifies no acts performed under it . . .
A void act cannot be legally consistent with a valid one.
An unconstitutional law cannot operate to supersede any existing valid law.
Indeed, insofar as a statute runs counter to the fundamental law of the land, it is superseded thereby.
No one is bound to obey an unconstitutional law and no courts are bound to enforce it.
— Sixteenth American Jurisprudence, Second Edition, Section 177. (late 2nd Ed. Section 256)

OK, with that out of the way, no sir, I don't have a 410 mossberg or a pump action 410 at all. Although, I have some 410 single shot shotguns, and have owned them the large majority of my life. I learned to hunt squirrels with a 410 shotgun and got quite good at it. Further, I taught my 3 sons how to hunt, and they also started out with a 410 single shot when they were mature enough to learn how to use them. And they too got quite good at it.

I still like 410 bore. They are light, they don't have as much recoil. The main down side to them is the cost and availability of the shells, especially in times like these, and they do have a more limited range and payload (reduced amount of shot) that they will hold.

But, that taught me better to stalk up to my prey, and become a more proficient marksman as such.

Back