• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500/590 Aftermarket Stock OPTIONS

Re: Mossberg 500:Mossberg Stock vs. Blackhawk Stock

Awesome! Its a good lookin stock too, let us know when you get it!

Re: Mossberg 500 Aftermarket Stock (Buttstock) OPTIONS CHOIC

Speedfeed 1 Buttstock With Integral Magazine Tubes
p840307655-4.jpg

p793212217-4.jpg

p676641023-4.jpg

First Impressions: The Speedfeed 1 Buttstock With Integral Magazine Tubes has a very solid feel to it. You can quickly tell that this stock will hold up to just about any abuse you could throw at it; within reason of course :twisted: . The grip has a great feel to it and would allow for a secure grip even when wet or muddy. The integral magazine tubes are one of the great features of this stock and are very easy to use. The only downside to them is if you are left-handed and then the two shells are located high up on the side where you would be resting your cheek. You can still use this stock if your a left-handed but it is definitely more ergonomic for right-handed users.

Installation: Installation involved removing your current stock and tightening one bolt with a screw driver.

Use: The butt pad, which is quite soft, does a great job with reducing recoil. The addition of the 4 extra shells in the stock provide some added weight to the stock which I feel attributes to some reduced recoil as well. When it comes down to its tactical use I consider this stock one of the best available. It has a short length of pull, an extremely durable construction, no accessories that could potentially get caught on things (like shotshell holders), the ability to hold an additional 4 shells that are easily accessible and a great grip for inclement conditions. I do enjoy shooting a shotgun for tactical purposes with a pistol grip but with Mossberg's and their tang safety it is much more ergonomic to use a conventional stock style like this Speedfeed 1 Buttstock With Integral Magazine Tube.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

p640608583-4.jpg

p1004639619-4.jpg

p786292927-4.jpg

p714695572-4.jpg

p909766817-4.jpg

p847936629-4.jpg

p689786393-4.jpg

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOkxc0qmFlg[/youtube]

Phoenix Technology Tactical Series Adjustable Stock With KickLite

First Impressions: The stock and forend have a quality feel to them in part due to them being made by injection molded premium grade glass filled nylon and shock absorbing elastomers. The stock slides easily from one position to the next with very little play which is nice considering a lot of collapsible stocks tend to have a fair amount of wobble to them. The pistol grip is not the most comfortable option available for a Mossberg 500 but it certainly gets the job done; to be fair it is more comfortable than the ATI 6 position collapsible stock Gen 1 but certainly not as ergonomic as the BlackHawk Knoxx SpecOps collapsible stock. By pushing on the butt pad of the stock you easily feel the KickLite technology working. The butt pad has a firm but soft feel to it.

Installation: Everything you need to install the stock is provided by Phoenix Technology including the forend wrench if you opted for the Phoenix Technology forend. Installation involved removing your current stock and tightening one allen bolt with the provided allen key.

Use: With the ability to quickly adjust from 11.5" to 15" of length of pull finding a comfortable position is easy for users of all ages and sizes. The angle of the stock allows for good cheek weld position (for me at least :twisted: ). Other collapsible stock stocks generally require the use of a stock drop adapter. When shooting heavy loads such as slugs and 00 buckshot you can quickly feel the reduction in recoil provided by the KickLite technology. I had a harder time feeling a difference while shooting lighter loads such as birdshot but after shooting a couple hundred rounds my shoulder was thankful to have had the KickLite technology reducing recoil :twisted:. The universal 12ga shotgun shell holder is made of a flexible material and at first glance has a bit of a cheap feel to it but functionally it works really well. I was used to more traditional universal 12ga shotgun shell holders which tend to be more rigid but the more I used the Phoenix Technology version the more I liked it. I note this because some people may prefer a more rigid shell holder but the added flexibility for me adds a degree of durability to it. You could apply more force to it without worries of breaking it.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

ATI 6 Position Collapsible Stock

p508107657-3.jpg

p593653989-3.jpg

p945895651-3.jpg

When looking for a shotgun stock there are many factors to consider. Personally, I was looking for a stock for my Mossberg 500 (home defense and/or tactical purposes). My ideal stock would be one that allowed for the Mossberg to be short enough to be easily maneuvered in an urban setting while having still having a a stock that is functional when needed. I had previously owned ATI products before so I decided to try out their two options that fit my needs; ATI top folding stock and ATI 6 position collapsible stock. I want to mention that there are several other companies that I could have gone with such as Blackhawk, Mesa Tactical, Phoenix Technology, etc.

The ATI units are packaged in a clear bag which helps shoppers get a better idea of what they are buying while at the store. This did not matter to me much since I bought the ATI stock online. Once I opened the bag there was another bag that contained the smaller hardware as well as guide for the product.

The installation was a breeze and was completed in only a few minutes. The instructions were thorough enough to clearly explain how to install the product but not complicated enough where they are hard to follow. The only tools needed are a philips head screwdriver and an allen key. One nice addition to this kit is that it comes with two extra base plates to allow you to install this item on a Remington or Winchester shotgun.

When it comes to using the stock I do not have a single complaint about the item. It easily collapses and extends with the touch of a button. This stock does a good job with recoil but could certainly improve in this area when compared to other available units for the Mossberg. I think this is a great tactical stock but if you are looking for the most reliable stock this may not be the one for you. I would not be confident that this stock would hold up when doing a mortar drill with it. The hardware that ATI provides could use some improvements as they are simply wood screws and are not the most durable option available to secure the stock to your Mossberg.

ATI Top Folding Stock

p28075301-3.jpg

p506721009-3.jpg

p745084417-3.jpg

p556067055-3.jpg

p654777918-3.jpg

When looking for a shotgun stock there are many factors to consider. Personally, I was looking for a stock for my Mossberg 500 (home defense and/or tactical purposes). My ideal stock would be one that allowed for the Mossberg to be short enough to be easily maneuvered in an urban setting while having still having a a stock that is functional when needed. I had previously owned ATI products before so I decided to try out their two options that fit my needs; ATI top folding stock and ATI 6 position collapsable stock. I want to mention that there are several other companies that I could have gone with such as Blackhawk, Mesa Tactical, Phoenix Technology, etc.

The ATI units are packaged in a clear bag which helps shoppers get a better idea of what they are buying while at the store. This did not matter to me much since I bought the ATI stock online. Once I opened the bag there was another bag that contained the smaller hardware as well as guide for the product.

The installation was a breeze and was completed in only a few minutes. The instructions were thorough enough to clearly explain how to install the product but not complicated enough where they are hard to follow. The only tools needed are a philips head screwdriver and an allen key. One nice addition to this kit is that it comes with two extra base plates to allow you to install this item on a Remington or Winchester shotgun.

When it comes to using the stock I do not have a single complaint about the item. It easily folds up onto the shotgun and with a push of a button folds down to become a fully functional stock. It may not be the most comfortable stock in the world but for its purpose as a home defense and/or tactical stock it is great. One thing I should note is that if you are looking for the most reliable stock this may not be the one for you as I would not be confident that this stock would hold up when doing a mortar drill with it. The hardware that ATI provides could use some improvements as they are simply wood screws and are not the most durable option available to secure the stock to your Mossberg.

I added a few more stock options for the Mossberg 500 :twisted: .

Wow! Head spinning, gonna take a little to go through all those! Good lookin out Dan!

There certainly isn't a lack of options for the Mossberg 500 :ugeek: .

Its great to have all this compiled in one place, as I think "which stock?" along with "what ammunition?" are the most commonly asked questions.

We're working on both of these right now!

Added Phoenix Technology Kicklite Sporter Stock to the list of available stocks for the Mossberg 500.

Added Pro-Mag PM111F Collapsible (6) Position Stock with Pistol Grip & Fore End

BlackHawk CompStock Shotgun Stock
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8xTteNRfGs[/youtube]

ATI Tactical Talon Pistol Grip
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh0DtiCi5pc[/youtube]

Blackhawk Breachersgrip Shotgun Stock For Mossberg

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xwlBZ2YfSk[/youtube]

First Impressions: The BlackHawk Breachersgrip has a very solid feel to it.

Installation: Installation involved removing your current stock and tightening one allen bolt with an allen key (not included in the kit). Overall a very easy installation.

Use: When I asked a friend to tell me what he thought of the BlackHawk Breachersgrip after firing a bunch of slugs, 00 buck and bird shot down range he simply smiled and stated "FUN!" I could not agree more with his description. I have to admit I was very skeptical when I was told by BlackHawk that you can comfortably shoot this pistol grip with one hand but they are 100% correct in that statement. Not only is this pistol grip completely functional in greatly reducing recoil but it is very well built. I gave this pistol grip a beating and it never skipped a beat. BlackHawk did a great job building this pistol grip and I would be very confident in it holding up to quite a bit of abuse. I do want to mention that I have heard of one BlackHawk Knoxx stock breaking at the joint but I assume that it was due to some sort of manufacturer defect. The only flaw I have with this pistol grip is that it is a bit difficult to manipulate the slide release. The grip is not as ergonomic as the 2nd generation BlackHawk Knoxx stock but it gets the job done. I am being picky when it comes to this pistol grips faults but all in all this is a great pistol grip. I highly recommend the BlackHawk Breachersgrip to anyone looking for a pistol grip on their Mossberg!

p100923064-4.jpg

p288139430-4.jpg

p79291644-4.jpg

There is a small o-ring that you can see in the picture above that needs to be removed before you install the BlackHawk Breachersgrip on your shotgun.
p491829596-4.jpg

Please not that there is a crush washer so when you are tightening it you will have to give a little extra twist of the allen key to make it snug.
p207877021-4.jpg

There is a solid sling swivel adapter located at the end of the grip which I used to attach an HK style clip to it.
p338597760-4.jpg

Please note that you can not use some of the common sling mounts like the GG&G side sling adapter with the BlackHawk Breachersgrip.
p479981696-4.jpg

p260372900-4.jpg

p122424782-4.jpg

p479259797-4.jpg

p42973882-4.jpg

p360917057-4.jpg

ATI Tactical Talon Shotgun Stock
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1dd_-W9yE8[/youtube]

ati vs knoxx

Hello everyone, sorry if this has been beaten to death but i just got my first mossy and was trying to decide between ATI Tactical Talon Shotgun Stock and the Blackhawk Knoxx Spec Ops stocks. Which one will mitigate the most recoil? Thanks in advance for your time everyone.

Re: ati vs knoxx

If you don't mind waiting a week or two I will be getting in the 2nd generation Spec Ops stock to test. I already have the ATI tactical talon stock which is currently being put through its passes. Below is a list of all the current stock options available for the Mossberg 500.

viewforum.php?f=17

DHonovich said:
If you don't mind waiting a week or two I will be getting in the 2nd generation Spec Ops stock to test. I already have the ATI tactical talon stock which is currently being put through its passes. Below is a list of all the current stock options available for the Mossberg 500.

viewforum.php?f=17

i certainly can wait for a few weeks, i wont be buying it for another month or 2 anyway. thanks for the reply.

Sounds good, be sure to check in and post up any questions you may have when I review them.

I can offer this on the Knoxx. It works as well as they claim for me. I have shot lots shells from clay loads to 3”00 buck in my lifetime. The first day I shot with the stock I shot 30 Remington Sluggers and 30 Remington 00 buck both full power, about 25 target loads and the next day nothing….not even tender I was amazed. I will also say straight up this stock is not for everyone. The recoil is completely different than a standard stock. It seems to make the gun jump up. The recoil is still there but the stock redirects it up and back and in the process takes the shock and converts it to more of a push…..it is comparable to getting punched on the shoulder or getting shoved, it just scrubs the initial “pop”. At first it messed up my timing because of the different type of kick it produced. Over some time I got better with it but didn’t really realize it till I shot some with a coworkers 590. I had actually gotten faster with follow up shots with the Knoxx and really noticed the recoil on the 590…..you learn to get in sync with the motion. This after 30 years with a conventional stock vs. shooting the Knoxx 20 times in a 4 month period, about 600 shells. This stock needs an investment of time from the shooter because it is kind of weird feeling at first. The only other thing would be long term reliability but it seems very well built. I have never experienced cheek slap either but again you can’t shoot it like a regular stock. Cheek weld needs to be more toward the rear of the stock…. Pro’s : adjusts from 12 to 15 “ LOP, reduces felt recoil, with the PowerPak it gives option to for cheek riser to run optics, stores ammo, stores two 123 batteries, three sling mounting options, heavy duty. Cons : moving parts, tad heavy, and a learning curve….I love mine.

Back