• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500/590 Aftermarket Stock OPTIONS

I guess I was trained differently. IMHO my firearm must be clean and ready. If i do not take care of it then it may not be able to defend me and mine when called upon to do so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Rogerb1583 said:
I guess I was trained differently. IMHO my firearm must be clean and ready. If i do not take care of it then it may not be able to defend me and mine when called upon to do so.

^^^100%^^^ :)

Don't misunderstand, Rogerb, I fully agree and tear down mine almost bi-weekly whether it's been fired or not. ( NOT OCD, I just like doing it) I'm just saying Mossbergs are known for being able to take a beating and still function, 98% of the time when they don't, it's due to severe abuse, or just a simple malfunction / broken part. One of my friends has a 500 that he bought when graduating in '96 and swears he's never cleaned it, just a few drops of oil and wipes it down with a Remington cloth...

Shoten said:
Don't misunderstand, Rogerb, I fully agree and tear down mine almost bi-weekly whether it's been fired or not. ( NOT OCD, I just like doing it) I'm just saying Mossbergs are known for being able to take a beating and still function, 98% of the time when they don't, it's due to severe abuse, or just a simple malfunction / broken part. One of my friends has a 500 that he bought when graduating in '96 and swears he's never cleaned it, just a few drops of oil and wipes it down with a Remington cloth...

No flames intended. :) The robust construction of he Mossberg 500 was one of the reasons I purchased one. I usually clean mine once every month or so if it has been fired. Anyway........ still on the fence when it comes to buying and installing an adjustable stock on my shotgun. Trying to sort through all of the reviews and the variables. :?

I'm curious to what you finally decide rogerb. I don't clean mine as much as you intend to but could see where removing the stock that much would be a pain. If you intend to clean it that often I personally would stay with a standard stock instead of the pistol grip. The other option would be to get the Mossberg FLEX model and you can remove the stock in seconds without tools. That sounds like it may be ideal for you.

url

The ATI Talon stock/handle removes very easily from the mount which has a dovetail system and that 1 screw on the side to keep it from sliding apart. The back of the grip is made of material like the buttpad and reduces felt recoil.

I've had about 5 different stock systems on my 500 since I bought it in '93 and I like the ATI Talon system the best.

If you don't like or need a pistol grip style, ATI's Akita stock is like a standard stock but is length adjustable and has an adjustable cheek riser.

Thanks for the good support in this thread for ATI as usual guys!

To those wondering our Talon stock system can be removed for cleaning in a matter of seconds via one screw at a dovetail joint. Here's a picture for everyone's reference:

Attachments

• sling-adapter-and-torx-bolt-left-side.jpg
    sling-adapter-and-torx-bolt-left-side.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 527
Please forgive my newb question... I assume that aftermarket stocks include model specific hardware for attachment but I have read products reviews for collapsible tactical stocks including models listed in this thread, where the purchaser has warned that the new stock bolt was too long and they damaged the safety during install. Is this a "real" issue or more operator error (rushed installation)?

Edit: Also, and I know this has already been asked before, does ATI offer discounts to members? I would send a PM but do not yet have the privilege. Thank you!

The ATI stock that I ordered ,and installed, came with all of the hardware needed for installation. It took me about 20 minutes from start to finish to install with no problems. I did have to go make a pot of coffee and watch a weather report in the middle of the installation. [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND TIGHTLY-CLOSED EYES] The ATI Talon is a great addition to the Mossberg 500!

ATIgunstocksUSA said:
MossbergOwners discount code
~Matt, ATI

Now we are talking! haha :mrgreen:
I am still pushing for a Polymer Ghost Ring rear sight and some sort of front sight for the 500/590 series... One of these days!! :D But if we are talking about stocks... Do you fellers over at ATI have any intentions of doing different patterns for the Stocks? Like Multicam, Desert Camo, etc...

Thanks for your time and being an active part of our community!
Rick

I will inquire about the sights...

As for the camo/patterning we used to do that actually on some rifle and Akita stocks, that being said being said it didn't really stick. Look to see some more color options from us in the future though.

Future is good! Means there are more options coming this way!
Let us know if the Higher-Ups like the Sight Idea. :)

I have searched high and low for any picture of the ERGO tactical stock adapter installed as well as reviews. No luck. It's like the item doesn't exist.

I find it hard to believe that nobody had tried this yet.

I mean to recycle an LMT/ERGO AR grip and stock with it.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1385365010393.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1385365010393.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 318
Looks interesting and simple. Curious as to how well it fits and how much it costs. Mesa Tactical has an adapter like that which takes AR grip and stock but costs a lot.

Only problem I see though is that AR's have very little recoil so they usually don't have/need padded stocks or grips.

The average cost of the ERGO tactical stock adapter is $29-36 depending where you look.

I would have considered the LEO Mesa adapter but it won't fit grips with a higher tang like the ones LMT uses. This one seems to have room enough for those kinds of grips.

Come on guys, it's got tactical in its name... somebody has to have tried it by now. ;)

Rogerb1583 said:
The ATI stock that I ordered ,and installed, came with all of the hardware needed for installation. It took me about 20 minutes from start to finish to install with no problems. I did have to go make a pot of coffee and watch a weather report in the middle of the installation. [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND TIGHTLY-CLOSED EYES] The ATI Talon is a great addition to the Mossberg 500!

Which part number ATI Talon did you order, the all plastic ending in .45 or the aluminum upgrade part number ending .55?

This is one of the models I have been considering and was not sure if the more expensive aluminum upgrade version is worth the extra $$$

How do you like it so far?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Back