• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500/590 Aftermarket Stock OPTIONS

Re: Knoxx Recoil Shotgun Stocks Suck

...all a matter of perspective I guess.

The stock was designed for combat applications and in my opinion using it for trap is way outside the range of realistic performance expectations. I've run a first gen Knoxx on my 590 for years and it has been well suited for my shooting needs...

I admit that I have never used a knoxx stock on any of my shotguns, but that is because I have never been attracted to them.

I do enjoy shooting skeet/trap occasionally, which is a lot like bird hunting, but at the same time, is a lot like fast multiple target acquisitions as well, so that is why I tend to prefer my gear being set up as "universal" as possible.

I have watched several of nutnfancy's videos, and I must say that I honestly don't necessarily agree with him a lot of the time about some stuff.

Maybe I'm odd man out here, but I've never seen the need to go beyond the factory recoil pad, even when I was blasting away with shotties other than my current 590. I admit I have a reasonable amount of 69 year old biological padding in the shoulder area, but I think much of the reason folks look for a 'better' recoil control stock or pad is to compensate for improper technique. :)

Also, doesn't anyone use a padded shooting jacket/vest anymore?

GunnyGene said:
Maybe I'm odd man out here, but I've never seen the need to go beyond the factory recoil pad, even when I was blasting away with shotties other than my current 590. I admit I have a reasonable amount of 69 year old biological padding in the shoulder area, but I think much of the reason folks look for a 'better' recoil control stock or pad is to compensate for improper technique. :)

Also, doesn't anyone use a padded shooting jacket/vest anymore?

You are right and I am learning the $$$ way to putt the junk bling bling away and use the real deal. ;)

I don't run a Knoxx anymore, but I have absolutely smoked on clays with it, and handed it to friends that did the same thing with my thrower, not quite as far as a range thrower but it gets them out there decently. but my shotgun it was set up with a reflex at the time so it lined up better than if I were sighting down the receiver.
The only reason I gave up the Knoxx is because I hated the way it packed on the sling, real butt heavy and I actually prefer a slightly front heavy or balanced long gun
God I hate Nutnfancy

GunnyGene said:
I think much of the reason folks look for a 'better' recoil control stock or pad is to compensate for improper technique. :)

The Knoxx actually require a technique specific to the stock, if you master it its fast. Just like anything that scrubs recoil or muzzle rise, it gets you back on target faster and that is always desirable.
Just like putting a compensator on an AR, it obviously not about the punishing recoil of 5.56 but it keeps the muzzle on target , couple that with proper technique and your not only faster on target you also retain accuracy and its hard to be both

I only have one Knoxx...it's on my 835. And that is my dedicated turkey samich maker. The rest of my stuff , I use a limbsaver.
I prefer the LS over the Knoxx but sitting around waitin for mr gobbler to show his mug makes the knoxx comfortable in the sitting position.

oli700 said:
I don't run a Knoxx anymore, but I have absolutely smoked on clays with it, and handed it to friends that did the same thing with my thrower, not quite as far as a range thrower but it gets them out there decently. but my shotgun it was set up with a reflex at the time so it lined up better than if I were sighting down the receiver.
The only reason I gave up the Knoxx is because I hated the way it packed on the sling, real butt heavy and I actually prefer a slightly front heavy or balanced long gun
God I hate Nutnfancy

GunnyGene said:
I think much of the reason folks look for a 'better' recoil control stock or pad is to compensate for improper technique. :)

The Knoxx actually require a technique specific to the stock, if you master it its fast. Just like anything that scrubs recoil or muzzle rise, it gets you back on target faster and that is always desirable.
Just like putting a compensator on an AR, it obviously not about the punishing recoil of 5.56 but it keeps the muzzle on target , couple that with proper technique and your not only faster on target you also retain accuracy and its hard to be both

Not knocking anyone's choices here :) . Whatever works for the individual is what counts. I just never had a need for anything beyond what was provided by the maker or the Marine Corps to stay on target with anything I was handed, including a BAR or Flame Thrower (which is a HOT weapon in both senses of the word ;) )

Yeah I know, if you don't think you could possibly be any faster even with the aid of mechanics then I guess your at the pinnacle of speed and accuracy

I run a Knoxx (Blachawk) on my turkey gun. I'm not one who normally likes PG stocks but for certain applications it works great.

You're, and a few others, displeasure in the product does not mean it sucks, it simply means that it does not suit you personally.

Edit: FWIW While my experience with them has been positive, I'm not taking sides and have no problems with people expressing their opinions based on their experiences, I just don't want to see this turn into a all out bash thread.

that video was painful, I just don't get how people even put stock in some of these youtube videos....I mean the guy was like, "this thingy.....and you need this thing".........and he only mentioned that hit him in the face, like 10 seconds of the video was on the stock the rest was "duh, this thing and uhhh"

If a knoxx hits you in the face your technique sucks, there is a way to shoot it and it is squared up. I have actually got the cheek slap before but it was because of poor form trying to bust 3 airborne clays and reverted right back to a bladed wingshooting stance and it got me once.....and it wasn't a deal breaker.

I actually have a harder time staying proper with the 12" lop Hogue and not clipping my nose with my thumb

like I said I'm not even using one anymore but it works as advertised, might be for everyone but it doesn't suck

oli700 said:
that video was painful, I just don't get how people even put stock in some of these youtube videos.

It would nice if they had a script to read from. Instead of just winging it. At least use some notes as a guidline for f#$+@ sake.

lol, it would help with at least a feeling of credibility

Mossberg 500 Youth Stock

I just purchased the Mossberg 500 Hogue Soft Rubber Overmolded Youth Stock on my shotgun and its solid and shorter. :) It is a great fit with the 24" VR Barrel with tactical choke.

The Mossy 500 is a great easy shotgun to change and fix. :mrgreen:

I have the Blackhawk Spec Ops adjustable stock with pistol grip. Has anyone else had a problem with the front part of the grip covering the trigger housing and not allowing the housing to come out? I cant tear the mossy down to clean it without removing the stock. Any advice?

Unfortunately with the SpecOps, removing the stock is the only way to remove the trigger housing...

Well that is a pain. I didn't see that in any reviews I read on it. Ugh im afraid to keep taking the stock off and on. Thanks lazy eyed sniper for the help.

Glad to help.

To be honest, I only clean my shotguns when I first bring them home and then once every couple years after that. Even then, it's only 'cause I'm bored and need something to do. These things are built like tanks and there's no reason you should have to fully disassemble the action and remove the trigger group too often...

Well thats a little more encouraging. I'm pretty anal about my firearms. So just minor cleaning on a regular basis should be sufficient.

I'm pretty particular about keeping my handguns and rifles clean, but my shotguns seem to work better dirty...

Back