Mossberg 500/590 Aftermarket Stock OPTIONS

Discussion in 'Mossberg 500 Pump Action' started by DHonovich, Jan 20, 2011.

1. rodm1

rodm1 Copper BB

I have a 500 combo 12ga and the wood stock doesn't seem to fit as good as I would like. I looked at a 20ga Youth and I think the 12” LOP with a 1” Limb saver would be ideal for me. The other thing is the trigger angle of the stock seems to be way better on the Youth. The 12ga plastic stock seem to have a good trigger angle also.

Is there a stock for the 12ga that will give me the grip angle (closer to 90 degrees) and a 12”LOP that I'm looking for? Can the plastic stock be cut down that might work for me.
  2. old mossy

old mossy Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Not sure about the "trigger or grip angle" but a 20ga stock will fit a 12ga. It will be a smaller where it meets the receiver and will have a small lip.

Yes the plastic stock can be cut.

You could also check out the Hogue 12" stock.
    Rossignol and LAZY EYED SNIPER like this.
  3. Rossignol

Rossignol The Original Sheriff Staff Member Global Moderator Sponsor Forum Moderator

I especially like the Hogue furniture.
  4. LAZY EYED SNIPER

LAZY EYED SNIPER Overwatch Staff Member Administrator Supporter "Philanthropist"

Another thumbs up for the Hogue 12" stock. I have 4 of them...
    Rossignol likes this.
  5. rodm1

rodm1 Copper BB

Thanks everyone, I have more options then I thought. What size Limbsaver will fit a Hogue 12" stock?

From research it seems a small Limbsaver is what I need for the Hogue 12" stock.
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  6. Rossignol

Rossignol The Original Sheriff Staff Member Global Moderator Sponsor Forum Moderator

Sounds right.
  7. LAZY EYED SNIPER

LAZY EYED SNIPER Overwatch Staff Member Administrator Supporter "Philanthropist"

The small slip-on will fit, but is unnecessary. The recoil pad that comes on the Hogue stock is evey bit as plush as the Limbsaver. It's awesome...
    Rossignol likes this.
  8. Rossignol

This is very valid point. The recoil pads on the Hogue are amazing and really, the only reason to add a Limbsaver to the Houge would be if the LOP is too short and you need a little more. They do make a 13" LOP but the only place I've ever seen them is from AIMPRO but it is or has been about impossible to get through to them.
  9. Van Doren

Van Doren .410

This is my Maverick 88 with the Hogue 12" LOP stock installed, with the factory 14" LOP stock next to it for reference. It's a pretty nice little modification.

20151225_112004.jpg
    Rossignol and LAZY EYED SNIPER like this.
  10. LAZY EYED SNIPER

Nice. I have the same set-up on my Mav 88...
    Van Doren likes this.
  11. zoner

zoner .410

OP....havlinsales has some wood and synthetic bantam stocks for 20 gauge with short LOP for 25 bucks..... saw em yesterday. I am not affiliated with havlinsales other than being a happy customer
  12. Michael Burritt

Michael Burritt Copper BB

im sure this is like beating a dead horse over and over.
    But I'd like to know what would be a good stock that can manage 3in 00 buck or 3in slugs with out killing your shoulder
    I was looking at collapsible stocks such as ait which some like most hate Knoxx some people like some don't, Mesa and mako which are expensive but I hear good things some times hear the stock hit your cheek or pinch it or if you have the recoil reducing stocks it'll cause it to jam or not cycle like it should when you try to rapid fire or if you put a scope or higher sight you're head sits funny so it's harder to aim with it

And yes I know about the pistol grip you can't get to the safety as easy.

I'm debating to go for the more tactical stock or just stick with a fixed plastic or polymer stock with pistol grip so it's not 100-250+ spent and it comes back to bite me
  13. old mossy

14. old mossy

oh yeah,,,,,welcome to the forum from Florida.
  15. Michael Burritt

Thanks. And that works for any stock to
  16. old mossy

Before you spend money on other stocks that may or may not work for you give it a try.

Works for a lot of people.:)
  17. Michael Burritt

I'm kinda stuck in a bad spot because the 500 I got is pistol grip only no stock which I've never had any issues with my dad's shotgun that has a wooden stock non pistol grip my spas 12 takes recoil good but I can't use 3 in that only. 2 3/4 low and high brass that as the Polymer stock with pistol grip to do yea I'm used to the solid ones more so worried how the collapsible would work and are they worth it for at the range and or HD
  18. old mossy

If it was me I would try and pick up a used or cheaper stock for your 500 and see how it feels to ya.

JMO
  19. Rossignol

The recoil pads on the Hogue stocks are awesome, but if all you have now is a pistol grip, you may be ok with a factory Mossberg stock as mentioned above.
  20. LTB45

LTB45 .308 Supporter

Used polymer stocks can be found on Ebay cheap.

If you use a proper mount on your shoulder, even a 2x4 as a stock, won't hurt.

Primarily I shoot my shotguns ALL the time. I agree with the others here 100%. Get an inexpensive polymer or wood stock. Shoot it. If it does not work for you, you can always sell it and try something more expensive.
    old mossy likes this.