• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Barrel Alignment problem ??

Mikelodeon

Copper BB
Hey Friends !

I bought a Mossberg 500 20 ga, 26 in barrel last week.

Once at home, I was installing the barrel into the gun, the process should be easy and smooth.
I followed all the instructions BUT apparently the barrel IS NOT aligned.

I attached some pictures in order to show you some details about the issue.

The chamber and the receiver are joined and there is no gap between cuts, besides the
notch in the chamber and the square pin in the receiver fits like a puzzle, once the barrel and the
receiver are joined you don't have any chance to rotate or play with the barrel.

Please see the pictures and help me, if you need more details about this gun I am willing to provide you with all you want.

My question is simple: Is that normal ? or something is wrong with it?

Thank you very much.

Attachments

• Gun03.jpg
    Gun03.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 165
  • GUN02.jpg
    GUN02.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 165
  • GUN01.jpg
    GUN01.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 161
Welcome to MO!

I don't have an answer for you, Mikelodeon, but I'm sure someone on here can give you some info.

Hope you get the answer you need, and enjoy the site.

for a new shotgun thats unacceptable. i would call mossberg.
one other thing i would try,,,give it a good cleaning and reassemble. if it's still the same call mossberg.

Yeah, that's definitely not normal.

Looks like the barrel's vent rib was installed off-center...

I just called Mossberg (that is a job!)
Well, they say some deviation is expected, it has not to be 100% aligned, it could be 1/8 of an inch to any side
in my case I guess is 1/16 clockwise.
The guy from Mossberg says is about tolerances and that is normal.
So would I take the answer?
since is manufacturing (I am a manufacturer, so I understand)
I can expect some tolerance and two manufactured pieces never going to be exactly the same.

but for reason the sights on the barrel assembly seems to be in line with the scope mount screws, seems to be ok.

Again, this is an easy process and I am sure I am doing the job in the correct way, the only thing I have heard is
for some guns the rule of 50% ejector port closed/open doesn't work, some guns accept more or less than that.
I think I have to shoot and see what happens, the good stuff is I am learning !!!!

anyway, I am not happy with this... even if the gun works great ! I am sure everybody here wants a well constructed gun that works great, but if they say "you can expect that because tolerances, that is normal"... mmmm,

there is some gunsmith around here?

Thank you

I recently purchased a mossberg 500 bantam for my daughter. It has the exact same issue described here. I am wondering it is rather a common problem. We haven't tested the shotgun yet. But whenever I look at it, I get really annoyed... Poor quality manufacturing...

Last edited:
I don't know what to tell you about a fix but I do know that this sort of stuff should NOT happen (ie: misalignment of sights and ribs on a barrel). For the small guy to make a jig to align sights and such is one thing, but I would fully expect a mfg like Mossberg to have PRECISE jigging so this NEVER happens to the 1000s of barrels they produce yearly.

BTW Mik, Welcome Aboard! :)

Last edited:
I completely agree. I should have rejected it when I got it from my local FFL. I am going to contact Mossberg to see what happens even though Mikelodeon reported the response already..

I would ask (nicely first) that it be replaced, you paid for a gun with parts that match, period. Not some parts bin special.

I've got the same issue on my brand new 500. Like slipperyroad, I should have rejected it upon receipt at my FFL. I'll also see what, if anything, Mossberg will do for me. My one thought on how to deal with this on my own would be to try to grind down that short tab on the back end of the ejector to allow the barrel to rotate just a bit further -- but that seems a little sketchy. Anyone more knowledgeable have any input on that?

No No don't do that coloradojoe. In my case the rib itself is bent at ~2 in before the end causing the mismatch.
I called the customer service center today and talked to a lady. She said they will replace the barrel but to do that she needs to get the serial no of the gun ( which information I don't have at the moment). It is a step forward. I am going to call back again with the information. I will report back later.

Last edited:
Thanks slipperyroad! I thought better of my hair-brained idea to "fix" the problem. Interestingly, I mentioned this issue at my local gun shop -- and they showed me that several (more expensive) shotguns had similar misalignment issues (though not to the same extent as in ours). I'll have to look more closely, but I don't think the rib on mine is bent. Glad to hear that Mossberg is helping you resolve your issue!

Back