• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 - Chamber noise and movement

bchan8

Copper BB
Hello All!

I just picked up my Mossberg 500 yesterday and started modifying the stock, forend, and etc...
So I have everything put back in together no problem, but now I wonder if i did something wrong or is this normal?

Situation:
Gun is fully unloaded, safety on, and do a full cycle with the forend forward.
When I tilt the gun back and forth the chamber shelf (i believe thats the term?)moves about 1/4". This is after removing the wooden dowel. Is this normal for it to do that?
-To give a better description, its where the shell sits in the chamber and the round piece pushes the shell forward, that round bolt assembly or whatever, moves back and forth a bit.

I asked my friend if his shotguns do that he said no. But when I called Mossberg and described it to them they said yes it is perfectlt normal. They told me its the chamber shelf(forgot what he said). When I look at the schematic it looks like the bolt assembly.

Any idea? I will take it to my local gunsmith later this week, but wonder if anyone else experience this as well and is this normal? I hope I did not mess up the gun..

I am not a newbie to guns or 500's.
I must say that I have never heard of a chamber shelf.
Sorry but I would have to see what you are talking about to be any help.

I believe it is this part here,
564c08417093816bfffe48549b7a72fb.jpg

Like this chamber,
500-extractors.jpg

Bchan, the top pic is the bolt. It should not move when you've racked a shell into the chamber. The piece below that (in the second pic) is the shell elevator, which carries a shell up into position from the magazine, to be chambered. Nomenclature is important when diagnosing problems, so I suggest that you refer to your user manual for proper descriptions.

Thank you for the help.

GunnyGene - so when I do not have a shell racked in the chamber, is it normal for that piece to move around with the forend forward? It does not move a whole lot, just 1/4" or so..

bchan8 said:
Thank you for the help.

GunnyGene - so when I do not have a shell racked in the chamber, is it normal for that piece to move around with the forend forward? It does not move a whole lot, just 1/4" or so..

Neither should move when the action is closed, regardless of whether a shell is chambered or not.

,,,,,call mossberg,,,,,should not be moving or rattling like Gunny said.

Back