• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Cruiser and Marlin model 60: 1st test

CaddmannQ

Will TIG for Food
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
A few weeks back I bought a Mossberg 500 Cruiser and a Marlin mod 60 semi-auto .22 long rifle; but due to pressing issues I was just not able to get out and shoot until yesterday.
20161107_082731.jpg
I shot The Marlin first.

This is probably their most inexpensive rifle, black carburized with a black plastic stock and plain iron sights. I paid $190+ for it which is not a bad price locally. You might save $10 at the big-box store.

Anyhow I had heard rumors that the new Marlins were all imported and were not the equal of the Marlins of old. Well I have owned a 1960's version of the same gun, and I can say that while there are a few plastic parts that used to be metal, this is still a tried-and-true design and it really works.

I shot 2 boxes of ammo through it yesterday and it never jammed or misfed a single time. For a semi auto that'd only had one proof shot through it at the factory, then no more, I thought this was an exceptional performance.

I believe it weighs a few ounces less than my old wooden stock Marlin, but I sold that gun 20 years ago & can't compare them side-by-side, unfortunately.

I paid $25 for that old Marlin, well used, and it gave good service, but I can honestly say this gun shoots better.

I was shooting off of sandbags at 50 and 100 yards.

From the 2nd shot I was able to easily put 14 rounds in a 6 inch circle at 50 yards, rapid fire. (Our gun range defines rapid-fire as "faster than one round per second".) For a guy with my eyesight, I thought it was remarkable.

I was not shooting all that well either yesterday. I was only holding a 4 inch group with the mod 464 .30-30 at 100 yards, and on a good day I can shoot a 2-inch group (with the Leupold scope.)

So for me doing anything at all with iron sights was amazing.

I also took out the Mossberg 500 12ga and put 35 shells through it.

This is definitely the thing if you want to intimidate and destroy a home intruder. I put the first five rounds of Olin military boxed 00 Buckshot into the steel Target at 10 yards, from the hip, with satisfying results. This gun is a cylinder bore so beyond 10 yards & shooting from the hip it's pretty hard.

I tried shooting trap with my buddies Remington semi-auto 12 gauge, but with my old eyes, hitting a fast moving Target is all but impossible. They don't change Focus very fast, which is why I gave up flying. I can't look from the ground to the sky to the instruments to the sky quickly enough to make sense of anything.

I also shot the "old" Ruger .22 pistol, which is always fun and shoots flawlessly, and my relatively new.45 ATI mod 1911 ( which had been giving some trouble.)

Last week I had polished the feed ramp on the .45, and I went through 50 of my buddies low recoil reloads without a single misfeed!

I shot silhouettes 5 and 10 yards, but didn't score very well.

Sorry no photos of my targets. We got in a hurry at the range yesterday and I didn't save any.

Last edited:
Gotta love Marlin .22's...

circa 1960...

ad74bbcc-9d23-4ca7-90d1-f83b1b36ebb5_zps1bbg5bnp.jpg

circa 1980...

1d68c79a-29b8-436a-b1ef-a22a55515921_zps4dhcanoq.jpg

bafb9cef-37bf-4a41-80bf-3013e894dc83_zpsgfvgejhy.jpg

========

Had a glenfield model 60 with a squirrel stock just like that, and traded for a marlin 60 in wood and stainless several years ago too.

They've always been pretty good guns in my opinion. A lot of guys don't really like the magazine tube, but it has its' place, meaning whereas it's a lot easier to lose a detachable magazine while going through brush and never to be seen again.

I've never heard of anyone ever losing a magazine tube unless they're self inflicted with CRS (Can't Remember S^!t).

If I'm in the wild and I have to take more than 15 shots at something, I'd be in big trouble.
I think for a .22 tube feed makes perfect sense.

A mag tube works just as well as anything else does. perhaps even moreso in ways.

Choices are good though.

Back