• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 dedicated for Skeet (or 835)

So my tax return is going to be here soon and my plans are to get a new Mossberg, specifically to be dedicated for Skeet Shooting. I have been looking at the 500 with a ported 28" barrel with a skeet choke. Does that seem like a good setup for skeet?

I have also been looking at the 835, would that be a better choice. I know I will not be shooting 3.5 shells so most of the pros I see are from the 835 are simply the overbored barrel.

Recommendations, should I go with the 500 or 835?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Take it from a guy that has a safe full of shotguns. O/U's, SxS, Pumps, no semiautos since I blew up 2 1100's a couple years ago

When shooting Skeet and Sporting Clays, the first guns I reach for are one of my 500's.

If you can work the pump you will have no problem. If you can't work it, you will learn real fast.

I think for skeet (and not that I have any skeet shooting experience) the 500 would be the better way to go. @LTB45 would be able to be more insightful.

I have an 835 and I have zero complaints but I believe that where it shines is with more payload. I wouldn't want to swing it for wing shooting though we have a couple members with the semi auto version, the 935, but aren't using it for something like trap or skeet.

Yeah, I am comfortable with a pump and prefer it actually. I'm not looking for competition but rather more for skeet fun and games with family and friends.

A local dealer has the 500 and 835 for nearly the same price which is what has created the dilemma.

When do skeet with your 500s what choke do you prefer?

I shoot Skeet with a Skeet choke. Cylinder or Improved Cylinder work just fine as well.

Skeet is a game of breaking targets very close. Trap on the other hand is where I use a Full choke in my Trap gun (not a 500)

If you are looking at not shooting real Skeet, Hi house Lo house and are talking about just shooting flying clays from a thrower (hand thrown or from a simple machine) then put a Mod in and never look back.

Last edited:
For skeet I do not think you will see a benefit of the overbored barrel.

Even with trap I do not think you will see a noticible benefit.

That said I would buy whatever you can get the best deal on, both are good guns and with a couple minor tweaks both can share most components.

It will really be just shooting clays from a thrower, nothing advanced. I have been using a 590 Mariner which works okay but now I want to get my own primarily for that purpose.

I also do small amounts of Coyote hunting where I primarily use my AR but having a shotgun to go to in close range would be nice too.

MatthewGlenHill~

Somehow I sensed that you were really asking more about hitting going-away thrown clay targets not skeet. I'm glad that I asked the right question.

500 using a Mod choke will do you fine.
I am a bit bias though, I have 4 pump guns all 500's
:)

If you want to have fun with family and friends shooting at hand-thrown clays, and Lenny LTB45 says a 500 is good-to-go, there is really no more point in debating your choice of shotgun as far as this thread goes. I would buy a couple used older guns rather than a brand new one.

Thank you all for the help I am going back an forth on an all black 500 or a Mossy Oak 535 here at my local shop. The price isn't actually all that different so it is a tough call.

There is a thread out here about factory camo peeling.
2 of my 500's are camo. Paint that I did.
Those are used to hunt with as well as busting clays.

If you go with a black gun it will allow you to go with wood furniture some day. Lots of folks do. Just my 2 cents.

If you want to have fun with family and friends shooting at hand-thrown clays, and Lenny LTB45 says a 500 is good-to-go, there is really no more point in debating your choice of shotgun as far as this thread goes. I would buy a couple used older guns rather than a brand new one.
A right. Why would anyone want to buy a new 500 when every LGS has a few better quality older 500s for well under $200 usually.

Thanks for all the help everyone, I ended up going with a 535 that I got on a Memorial Day sale, I loved the lighter weight in that one... now I just have to get out there and do some shooting!

Back