• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Failure to feed...needing help

Bringing back an old thread. My new 500 has stopped feeding ammo. The Cartridge Stop is clearly not moving out of the way enough for the shell to be pushed. If I push it in either my finger the shell pops right out. Gun was purchased new in January. What to do? Thanks.

It sounds like the same issue as the OP. He was able to mildly bend the stop so that there was less of it sticking out over the end of the shell.

Do I have to disassemble the gun to do this? I ran probably 300 shots through it and it just happened today.

I would try giving it a good cleaning which includes taking it apart if it just started after 300 rounds. If after the cleaning it still won't feed,you probably need to adjust it by bending or get a new one.

Below is a pic of how a good stop and interrupter should look like.

Here's a great video on taking it apart,,,,,,,http://www.mossbergowners.com/forum/index.php?threads/mossberg-500-disassembly.26/

Keep us posted

cartridge good cartridge stop.jpg

I thought the pic above was of a defective stop. I have to push that in with my finger to get the cartridge to eject from the magazine.

As I suggested before I would give it a good cleaning and see if it gets any better.(dirt behind it).

If not change it.

Send our Mossberg contact a email and explain it. They should send you a new one. Include the serial number.

Joseph Zakher
jzakher@maverickarms.com

Keep us posted.

Thanks. Bums me out that this is happening to a brand new gun. I have cleaned with a boresnake and hoppes after each session of use.

Mossberg had a problem with them.

Tear the gun down and clean the innards.

MRL, that is a good pic of a bad stop. Nothing is going past that. I hope JZ helps.

From MRL above.
MWTPtN5k8vcv0DtF2Vdci4SEX6IA6ZNpt96lD5OAStoDIT8ujFY7q_qyvrtN5jdyOpa5myHOxoM1EA=w936-h624-no

Reactions: MRL
Update: I was contacted by Joseph Zakher. He offered to send me a new cartridge stop and new action slide (pump slide assembly) if I was comfortable breaking down the firearm to install the parts. I said this was my first gun and it looked like a bit more disassembly than I was comfortable doing, so they sent FedEx to pick it up today. Hopefully the turnaround will be quick.

Thanks for the advice here, all.

UPDATE

Got the gun back today via FedEx. According to the invoice they replaced two items:

-- Cartridge Stop
-- Action Slide Assembly

Seems to be good as new (well, it is a new gun). I just cycled a bunch of shells through it (just loading/ejecting, not firing) and all seems to be fine.

Thank you to Joseph Zakher at Mossberg/Marverick and the folks here who provided advice.

Update: I was contacted by Joseph Zakher. He offered to send me a new cartridge stop and new action slide (pump slide assembly) if I was comfortable breaking down the firearm to install the parts. I said this was my first gun and it looked like a bit more disassembly than I was comfortable doing, so they sent FedEx to pick it up today. Hopefully the turnaround will be quick.

Thanks for the advice here, all.
Glad the gun is fixed.
This repair being over your head?
You should be comfortable tearing down every gun you own. What was required here is nothing more than you do for a proper cleaning.
Learn your gun inside and out is my best suggestion to all gun owners.

Back