• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 model 50580

klausmarshall

Copper BB
I just bought a Mossberg 500 model 50580, 12 ga., 8 shot, Persuader/Cruiser, 20" barrel. It came with an 8 inch forend. I have looked till I am a cross eyed for a replacement forend. I have read countless reviews on various products. I want to put on a picatinney rail system on it so I can put a handle and other accessories on it. I like to get a handle becAuse it would add to the stability of the gun while I fire it and plus, I will be able to pump it via the handle.
Does anyone out there have this type of gun with the mod I am looking to do. I don't want to have to make any mods or take it to a gun smith. I also want it to fit tight...ie; no loosness/shaking.
I would be interested if anyone has a set up like the one I am looking for?
Thanks,

Welcome to the forums, Klaus! I believe the forend length you have is the 7-3/4 or 7-5/8 forend. (NOTE: Both lengths specify the same forend but some websites and retailers have one measurement while others have another.) There are many forends available that have the ability of adding 1913 Picatinny Rail or some already have it molded in or attached by another means.

How much are you willing to spend on a forend?

klausmarshall said:
I actually measured the forend and it was 8 inches exactly. I would prefer to spend no mor than 70.00 or LESS.

here's a pic of how they take the measurement,,,,

Attachments

• 05001L_05[1].jpg
    05001L_05[1].jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 284
I measrued 8 inched for the grip portion only. I was able to take off the grip only without the 2 metall prongs attached in you photo. I only have the grip that I can slide off and back on.

Now I am confused... the action bars aren't attached to the slide assembly tube??
I sense a pinned forend is in your possession :S

^^^^yup
is it possible to post a few pics of the forend?

Agreed about showing a photo but no digital camera. Sorry. Maybe I should not have called it a forend but rather just the forarm grip.

klausmarshall said:
Agreed about showing a photo but no digital camera. Sorry. Maybe I should not have called it a forend but rather just the forarm grip.

thats what we are saying,,,,the forend needs to be held on by something. how did you get it off? :?:

Still confused lol...

A quick google search shows that you should have the standard "corn cob" style forend on your mossberg. Assuming it is NOT a "pinned" forend, your process would have included having to remove the slide tube nut and then pulling (with minor force) the actually forend off the slide tube.

Leaving you with three pieces as pictured above. The forend (black synthetic thingy) would probably measure 8" give or take because it has to cover the entire slide assembly. However, that is not how you order other forends. The forends are separated by the measurement of the Slide Tube Assembly. (Part with the little Arms coming off that go into the receiver). THAT is what will be 7-3/4 or 6-3/4 long... That is all assuming you didn't get some freak of nature 500 we have never seen :lol:

Itsricmo said:
That is all assuming you didn't get some freak of nature 500 we have never seen :lol:

,,,and as crazy busy as things are,just might be.:)

:lol: Ain't that the truth!

Klaus, maybe search around and see if you can find a picture of the part you measure to be 8"

That is exactly what I did. I had to unscre a nut that held on the grip. Once the nut came off, the grip slid right off (with a little wiggle persuasion). The grip is what I measured as 8 inches. Seems like I can get a replacement/picatinny style grip to slid back on via the reverse process?

Yes, but to find one to fit, you measure the metal tube NOT THE PLASTIC FOREND. This is where you'll get the measurement needed for the new forend. For example the Blackhawk! Forend for BOTH sized tubes measure identical outside, but the inside where the tube slides, and specifically where the nut engages, that is where it's different. I hope that clarifies.

Semper Fi my Brothers & Sisters in Arms.

OK and thanks to all the input from all. I have a feeling that I will wind up ordering the wrong thing a few times until I get what I am looking for.

klausmarshall said:
That is exactly what I did. I had to unscre a nut that held on the grip. Once the nut came off, the grip slid right off (with a little wiggle persuasion). The grip is what I measured as 8 inches. Seems like I can get a replacement/picatinny style grip to slid back on via the reverse process?

ok you have an unpinned forend. you need to measure the action bar as shown in the pic i posted.
once you know that measurement you can order a forend.

klausmarshall said:
OK and thanks to all the input from all. I have a feeling that I will wind up ordering the wrong thing a few times until I get what I am looking for.

dosen't have to be. tell us the measurements and someone will steer you in the right direction. :)

take a look here,,,,http://www.atigunstocks.com/61-forends-and-picatinny-rails

OK, I measured the length of my "action bar" as shown on the 2nd item down on the photo and mine measured 7 3/4. I had to use the photo that was posted earlier to help me describe what I measured.

Attachments

• 05001L_05[1].jpg
    05001L_05[1].jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 196
Back