• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500/persuader retro safety issue (...with Pics: Plastic vs. Metal)

ybrik

Hey folks, I just got one as I couldn't resist a classic with blued finish and walnut furnitures.
When I got this one, the elevator tabs are off its receiver holes.
This has been addressed now, but the safety is stucked at the the on position all the way to the back.
I can't move it forward even when the trigger group is removed.

What could be the issue in here?

I plan to disassemble this when I receive an oem metal safety and flat heat screw for it.

What's also the best way to clean and maintain the walnut stock and forend?

TIA!

1710103337824.png

My guess is the small steel ball is out of place or has some debris causing the stuck lever. In the interim you can carefully loosen the retaining screw and take it apart. Just watch for flying parts. A little lube will help when reassembling the safety.

Regarding care of the wood. The old school solution is Johnson Paste Wax in the yellow can with the red stripe.. Works well and repels moinsture.

Regards

Take 2-3 square pieces of masking tape stacked and using your finger press then into the screw slot. This helps give you purchase on the one way screw.

Then take an appropriate sized screwdriver whose width is the same as the screw slot and applying some pressure to the taped screw head turning it counter clockwise.

Once loosen then carefully remove the screw and while holding down the safety lever so the parts don't go flying.

It's that easy.

Regards

By the way, I tried to google the johnson paste wax and it seems it's not widely available in local stores here in Canada.

Any Hard Floor Wax should do fine.

Down here SC Johnson Paste Wax is typically available at places like Walmart and various hardware and big box home stores. But any good floor wax will do and a small can will last you a lifetime because it doesn't take much to coat a stock.

Regards

I just purchsed a 590 retro (not the A-1). Aside from that ridiculous slotted screw head and its removal, what do I need to do when removing it? Does the action need to be back like the 500 model example above? Does the safety need to be on safe or fire when removing the screw? Do I also need to hold it down while removing the screw?

Basically, I’m asking whether the 590 model is the same as the 500 model when changing out the safety button.

Last edited:
1. Pull the action fully to the rear to open the action
2. Safety lever to the rear in safe position
3. Remove the screw as described above
4. As you remove the screw hold the lever down to keep the base plate, ball and spring from flying away
5. Once parts removed make sure the safety part which the retaining screw goes into is all the way back
6. Clean and lube parts

That's it and you can now reinstall the parts and new lever/retaining screw.

There are several videos on line that will show the process if you have questions.

Regards

Last edited:
Thanks Ernst!
There is one other trick if you're initially having trouble getting the lever screw loose. As you turning the screwdriver counter clockwise take a hammer and tap lightly on the end of the screwdriver handle. This tapping will help break the screw loose.

Most factory installed screws don't have sealer but if someone has had it out before and reinstalled it with sealer it may be tough to get started.

But the masking tape to fill the slot is the way to go. Good luck!

Regards

Yeah, I did the masking tape trick. It worked perfectly. The original screw is unmarked. But I used the socket head screw that came with the new safety switch. Very easy install.

IMG-2518.jpg

glad you successfully removed your stock safety 6MT. Is that the 590 retro?

Also with the masking tape trick, could I wrap it to tip of flat head screw driver instead of the screw?

Also with the masking tape trick, could I wrap it to tip of flat head screw driver instead of the screw?
Mine is the 590 Retro. And no, the tape goes on the screw head. I used 4 layers and used my fingernail to indent the slot. Then, some downward pressure and the screw let go pretty easily.

This is what I consider a perfect upgrade on Mossy shot guns. I’ve made it on all of my Mossy 500 pumps with no regrets. Other upgrades are subjective to philosophy of use but this one is both thumbs up in my opinion!

So I detailed strip this today, disassembled the safety and found out the real issue.
There was no safety detent plate.
Instead of buying it will send an email to mossberg if they would send me one...

Before removing the safety screw, I noticed there is some grime on where it screws in, so I assume it's thread locker so just to be sure, I dabbed it with kroil. So I used the masking tape method and the screw did turn loose with a bit of hesitation initially breaking loose that locker.

I'm just really disappointed if I don't get one sent my way as didn't want to pay shipping all the way up north.
I guess this is a monday/friday gun...

3IVyecB.jpg

EERtTpF.jpg

wDWi3VR.jpg

EDIT: The safety detent plate was stucked underneath the lever, held in by the screw. I stand corrected on this.
Safety is all good now. I lubed the channel between the safety lever and block.

EDIT: The safety detent plate was stucked underneath the lever, held in by the screw. I stand corrected on this.
Safety is all good now. I lubed the channel between the safety lever and block.
Glad you noticed the plate. I saw it in your picture but looked like it was stuck under the lever because of the thread sealer.

Normally you don't need thread locker if you tighten the screw well given it doesn't really have any up and down movement.

Sometimes the little ball and spring get junk in them and don't work properly but a good cleaning and lube should fix the issue.

Glad you got it working well.

Regards

Glad you noticed the plate. I saw it in your picture but looked like it was stuck under the lever because of the thread sealer.

Normally you don't need thread locker if you tighten the screw well given it doesn't really have any up and down movement.

Sometimes the little ball and spring get junk in them and don't work properly but a good cleaning and lube should fix the issue.

Glad you got it working well.

Regards
I really didn't notice the safety detent plate under the lever. As on my other 2 mossy, the plate came off the lever upon removal.
I'm still waiting for numrich's steel lever, hence I put back the plastic lever for now.

I think the issue was the lever and block was really tight when they put on the screw from the factory so they safety doesn't even budge.

On a different note, they don't drill holes on the other end of the plate anymore?
Numrich has this part and says new production, the 5-hole.

Back