• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Accessories...

Firing Shot Thru Ported Barrel

Hello, just wondering if it is safe to shoot shot thru a ported slug barrel? Thanks, Ron

Re: Firing Shot Thru Ported Barrel

Could you clarify what you mean by "shot" as I don't want to give advice without knowing exactly what you are trying to shoot through your barrel. Additionally is the barrel rifled?

The "shot" wont damage or hurt the rifled slug barrel. You may find lead in the rifling though if you use quite a bit like that. A smooth bore is definitely the better choice for shot, bird shot or buck shot. Shot is designed to be used in a smooth bore.

The other thing to consider is a rifled barrel will actually cause your pattern to be worse. What happens is the shot wants to follow the rifling, and then as it leaves the muzzle, centrifugal force carries the pattern outward, and you end up with a circle pattern. And it will be wider, more spread out, than if you had used the smooth bore.

It would be the other side of the coin to using a sabot slug in a smooth bore barrel. Can you do it? Sure. With acceptable results? Nope.

By shot I mean bird shot, any standard shot gun shells. I've got old goose loads, pheasant, etc. The barrel is not rifled. It is a 12 ga. 24 in. Slugster barrel.
This is a Mossberg 500 with a longer field barrel, and then this slugster barrel. The gun is 10-12 yrs. old and just been sitting in the safe, never been loaded or fired. Thought maybe with the shorter barrel it would make a bedroom gun, just did'nt know how well it would work for that with the ports. Sorry, I should have given more information to begin with. Thanks again. Ron

Gotcha! Typically, when I hear "slug barrel" "slugster" or "slugger" it usually means its a rifled barrel. You mention you have a field barrel "and then this slugster barrel". Again this reinforces my belief its a rifled barrel. No worries, just shoot it and pattern it on paper and see what you come up with, you'll know by the pattern for sure! If it leaves a rabbit sized hole in the middle, its rifled! :)

The shot will work fine with the porting, zero issues there. Many of the newer models for turkey have ported chokes installed from the factory.

Let me know what you figure out!

Using a bore light it's definitely a smoothbore. The barrel reads 12 ga. 24 in. Slugster. No screw in choke.
If these snow drifts ever get small enough to walk out to my backstop I'll see how it patterns. Thanks guys. Ron

Lol! Cool, we'll be here when the snow is gone! :)

Re: Leupold Saddle Mount for 600AT

Finally got the full saddle (straddles both side of the receiver) mount and scope on at 25 yards.

Saw a scoped, rifled, slug barrel from Mossberg at Dick's Sporting Goods and decided to go that way. I was suprised to find that the "laser bore sighted" scope was low 9 inches at 25 yards and was canted about 20 degrees. Set it all up right before I went to the range and sighted it in for 50 yards. Went to the 100 and was 6 inches high and 3 right. Not sure what happened, but dialed it back in at 100 after 4 shots. The next and final 4 were within 1 inch of center bullseye and 1 inch center to center, with 3 shots within 5/8th's inch. I was shooting Winchester Supreme Elite Dual Bond Sabots at 1800 fps. I didn't mess with it any more that day since I ran out of ammo. Haven't found any more in stock yet but can't wait to see if that zero holds.
I know the Bushnell scope it came with (3 - 9) is not the greatest, but set on 3X, I will be very pleased if I can repeat that group. I will keep the saddle mount and set it up on the smooth bore slug barrel for a backup. Overall, by the time I finished, I could almost have bought the Mossberg slugster.

Re: Leupold Saddle Mount for 600AT

Wow man! That is a nice group and I hope that set up works and holds up for you!

How to Attach A Sling to My 500?

I'm sure many of you have been down a similar road and maybe someone can help me find a way! I want to attach a HK type sling to my gun. I'd like to attach at the stock swivel hole and at the heat shield looks like a good opportunity.

MOSSBURG.jpg

MOSSBURG2.jpg

MOSSBURG3.jpg

HKSTYLESWIVELcopy.jpg

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Full

Re: How to Attach A Sling to My 500?

That push button looks pretty sweet! I've never seen those before... The push button thingy would work the CDM Gear clamp. On the stock, I dunno if you can get the insert for the push button for those stocks or not?

Well, there is no hole in the pattern, so I guess I'm good to go.
I really feel kind of stupid for my original question now. I got the 28" shot barrel out and...yep...it's ported too! Guess I could have answered my own question. Thanks guys! Ron

No question is too "stupid" to ask. We all were at that point one time or another. I don't know how many times I have posted things here and on other forums that looking back I couldn't believe I didn't realize the answer.

DHonovich said:
No question is too "stupid" to ask. We all were at that point one time or another. I don't know how many times I have posted things here and on other forums that looking back I couldn't believe I didn't realize the answer.

Yup, same here!

Uhh, actually I continue to do it.

Sling and mount for my Persuader

I am looking at slings and sling mounts for my 500 Persuader. I am leaning toward a single point with a receiver mount and the only receiver mount I find online is the GGG 213RH from GGG at $30 or from Opticsplanet for $28. GGG also has an HK mount type for the same price.
Anyone have any ideas on this? Are there any other receiver mounts? And what sling would be a good one for a receiver mount?
Thanks for your comments.

Re: Sling and mount for my Persuader

I have several thoughts on this!

Heres something I'm really diggin right now, and I have posted my thoughts on Ergo in the product review section!

http://www.ergogrips.net/item-detai...age=sgloops.gif&CFID=4403718&CFTOKEN=85498472

sgloops.gif

Mr. Hines of Ergo said these in the right hand shooter configuration have just gone through testing for the US military. And theyre $18.

The GG&G has been used by several members on here, as well as the MidWest Industries receiver mount end plate. All are of similar construction, being machined aluminum. The Ergo is the only one I believe that has the hard anodized coating.

If youre looking for single point slings, most will have the Clash hook which is made by ITW. Excellent product and another that has passed mil-specification testing. Others will have the MASH Hook, also ITW, also passed mil-spec testing.

Clash Hook
ruger_sr-22_iron_eagle_tactical_model_124_botach_2137_91290475.jpg

MASH Hook
itw-mash_hook.jpg

Ergo makes a single point bungee which retails for about $60. Gear Sector is another, BlackHawk, BDS Tactical, Magpul, SOE... Theyre really too numerous to name them all. Most are made in the US and can vary wildly on price. I think $80 is about the most I have seen. You can check places online like Midway and Brownwells, GearZone. OH! ATK Eagle, is another I would look at! Dont know if they have a single point though... And I had forgotten about the sling Dan mentioned!

Thanks a bunch - had to go do some chores but I am back and reviewing both your suggestions. I must say I do like the Ergo: the price is a bit more reasonable than the GGG and I like the clash hook setup - I do want to be able to remove it with a minimum of effort. Also, the summit sling looks pretty good.
Again thanks, I knew joining the forum would pay off. Hope once I get going with these Mossbergs I can contribute as y'all have. ( y'all - a Texas term I believe :D )

Yea I was unaware of the ergo as an option when I was in the market for one but if I was to do it again I think I would go the ergo route.

Back