• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Barrels

Re: Rising Cost of Barrels??

Here at Bensons Gun Shop in NY I have been watching the cost of barrels for the 500... and they dont SEEM to be going up. 18 inch smooth bore's have stayed at about $100.

Re: Rising Cost of Barrels??

I can agree with the 18.5" security barrel. It's cost hasn't gone up more then maybe a couple bucks at certain places but the other barrels have for sure!

As far as the Fed Reserve making more physical money, I don't think they are releasing it into circulation until they have the old bills back and destroyed.

Re: Stand-offs and Muzzlebrakes Information

newbie_joey said:
Hi Everyone,

I am thinking of getting Mossy model # 50145.
(http://mossberg.com/product/shotguns-pu ... shot/50145)

What are Stand-offs and Muzzlebrakes?

Can I remove the Stand-offs and/or Muzzlebrakes from the barrel?
Or, are Stand-offs and Muzzlebrakes built into the barrel and can not be removed?

Thank you very much.
It's been a few months...did you buy that gun? I'm interested in it as well as a base model to mod/expand on.
If so how do you like it?

French manufactured slug barrel

I came across a matte finished, fully rifled, cantilevered slug barrel for a Mossberg 500 @ my lgs today. It's marked "made in france" and " 12 gauge 3 in shells". That's it. No manufacturers name.

Anyone have a clue who might have manufactured it and when? I'm thinking it might be a hastings barrel, but I'm not sure.

Re: French manufactured slug barrel

i would give Havlin a call.
Havlin (636) 937-6401

edit,,,,,welcome to the forum from NY.

Can I switch my barrel on my 500?

Hello, I searched for but I couldn't find an exact answer to my question. I am hoping someone can give me a definite answer. I have a 12 gauge 20 inch zmb shotgun, and I wanted to know if I can change out the barrel to something more suitable for skeet shooting? like a 28". If so can someone point me to the right barrel that would fit on my shotgun.. Thanks.. Mike

Re: Can I switch my barrel on my 500?

Mkfrns said:
Hello, I searched for but I couldn't find an exact answer to my question. I am hoping someone can give me a definite answer. I have a 12 gauge 20 inch zmb shotgun, and I wanted to know if I can change out the barrel to something more suitable for skeet shooting? like a 28". If so can someone point me to the right barrel that would fit on my shotgun.. Thanks.. Mike

Hello Mike. Welcome from NY.
As it stands now you can not switch the barrel other than another 20" because of the longer mag tube setup and barrel locking screw.
You would need to buy a 5 shot mag tube to use a 18.5",24",28" barrel.

You would need a #10342 mag tube to use with those barrels.
Mossberg or Midway carries them.

old mossy said:
Mkfrns said:

Hello Mike. Welcome from NY.
As it stands now you can not switch the barrel other than another 20" because of the longer mag tube setup and barrel locking screw.
You would need to buy a 5 shot mag tube to use a 18.5",24",28" barrel.
Ah, I had a feeling that was going to be the answer.. Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.. Mike

The part you're looking for is Mossberg #: 90241

Mossberg used to make a 24" barrel that would fit the 8-shot 500's - but it seems they no longer do.

Here's proof of the Discontinued Unicorn you seek

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/113102 ... -tube-blue

80f4hQF.jpg

They had still been making these recently for their Maverick 88 line (as of about a few months ago) - though it seems Maverick's web page has gone dark.

You might try giving Mossberg a call and seeing if they have one still in stock - or possible if they could make you one to order - they definitely have the know-how and tooling - and worst that can happen is they say 'no'.

If nothing else, keep your ear to the used markets like Ebay and Gunbroker - there's definitely a bunch of these barrels out in the wild.

TheJackal said:

Mossberg used to make a 24" barrel that would fit the 8-shot 500's - but it seems they no longer do.

80f4hQF.jpg

They had still been making these recently for their Maverick 88 line (as of about a few months ago) - though it seems Maverick's web page has gone dark.

You might try giving Mossberg a call and seeing if they have one still in stock - or possible if they could make you one to order - they definitely have the know-how and tooling - and worst that can happen is they say 'no'.

If nothing else, keep your ear to the used markets like Ebay and Gunbroker - there's definitely a bunch of these barrels out in the wild.
Oh thats good to know.. I will keep an eye out for one.. Thank you

TheJackal said:

80f4hQF.jpg

Good info. Thanks for sharing.

Anyone know the number for the parkerized 18.5" barrel?

As some may know, I have the blued 18.5" barrel for my 500 (#90015). I didn't think about it at the time when I ordered it, but my 500 is actually parkerized. I know the matte blue barrel number is 90016, but that doesn't appear to be what I need. I've been thinking of actually getting the gray parkerized 18.5" barrel, but I can't find it anywhere. Midway USA, Brownells, and even Cheaper Than Dirt don't seem to have it.

The 500 in this post in the picture thread looks to have the gray parkerized 18.5" barrel I'm looking for, and the same pinned forend I have.

http://www.mossbergowners.com/viewtopic.php?p=129963#p129963

Re: Anyone know the number for the parkerized 18.5" barrel?

Howdy JayC,

Here's a pic of my matte blue 930 Tactical barrel above the park'd barrel on my 590A1...

The finishes are virtually identical...

Can I buy a Mossberg 500 SPX barrel only?

I currently own a Mossberg 500, but I want to upgrade to the ghost ring sights, the SPX comes with the Front Ghost Ring Sights already installed. I havnt been able to find anywhere where I can purchase just the barrel. Is it even Possible? This is the barrel I want - http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/61873

Re: Can I buy a Mossberg 500 SPX barrel only?

Welcome to the forum from NY. I haven't seen that barrel advertized anywhere. You might want to call Mossberg and see what they have to say.(800) 363-3555
Another thought would be to get the sights and have them installed by a local smitty.

keep us posted on your findings.

J_Scheff_11 said:
I currently own a Mossberg 500, but I want to upgrade to the ghost ring sights, the SPX comes with the Front Ghost Ring Sights already installed. I havnt been able to find anywhere where I can purchase just the barrel. Is it even Possible? This is the barrel I want - http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/61873

Yes they did before.....or do.... Im not sure anymore give it a try .

edna said:
J_Scheff_11 said:

Yes they did before.....or do.... Im not sure anymore give it a try .
It also depends on the type of magazine tube you have or else it wont fit. You can ask them and they will explain it to you :)

Re: Anyone know the number for the parkerized 18.5" barrel?

Thanks for the reply. That does look really close. I don't know what I want to do. I just wish I payed closer attention, but if the parkerized barrel is this hard to find I'd probably end up with a blued one anyway. In the end the mismatch is minor, I guess, all things considered. It's just every now and then I get into one of these moods where I think it'd be nice if it matched. :lol: Also, I think I kinda like the parkerized finish better than blued.

Shoot Joe an email and ask him about ordering the SPX Barrel. He is (to my current knowledge) our direct contact through Mossberg for the forums. He has helped me multiple times. Keep in mind it might take a day or two for a reply. He has thousands of other things going on to deal with as well :D
Let him know you are from the Mossberg Owners forums and we sent you.
Ask him if you would need a new Mag Tube and Magazine as well as Misc. Parts. You will have to tell him your current model and style of mag tube. He will set you down the proper path and is a really nice guy to deal with! I believe he will even place the order through email and get it shipped out.

Joe Zakher:
JZakher@maverickarms.com

Back