• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Barrels

500 High Capacity Kit - NEW PICS 3/5/13

Well I have been wanting to do it for a while now. I finally pulled the trigger and ordered the 20" Persuader Barrel with proper mag-tube and spring!!! Ended up selling my 18.5" Threaded Barrel and ordering the 20" tonight online. I have to wait for Mossberg to call me to complete the Transaction but at least I started the process!! WOO!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I will post pictures immediately upon receiving my new barrel :) I hope it isn't too long before it comes in the mail! :D

PS. Anyone know the best way for removing a stubborn mag tube?

Rick

Re: Mossberg 500 20" High Capacity Kit

Nice Rick!

Lookin forward to seeing this come together...

Breacher barrel length?

For the factory Mossberg 18.5” stand-off barrels, is the length measurement made to the tip of the serrations on the end or is it 18.5” plus the breacher tip for an overall barrel length of more than 20”?

I have not found one to inspect in person and would appreciate a photo of the 18.5” standard and breacher barrels side by side. Thanks.

Re: Breacher barrel length?

The 18.5" length is measured to the end of the serrations on the breacher. Here's a few stock pics......just compare the distance from the barrel mounting ring to the muzzle.
169488.jpg

748383.jpg

Thank you. I would really like to get one of those for HD in case a secondary weapon is needed. Anyone know the Mossberg part number and how much the 18.5" runs these days?

LoL......I won't argue there. The breaching barrel is an option that it is nice to have from the factory instead of adding later......it can get pricey by the time you are done with it, but the swap is totally possible.

Itsricmo said:
Well I have been wanting to do it for a while now. I finally pulled the trigger and ordered the 20" Persuader Barrel with proper mag-tube and spring!!! Ended up selling my 18.5" Threaded Barrel and ordering the 20" tonight online. I have to wait for Mossberg to call me to complete the Transaction but at least I started the process!! WOO!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I will post pictures immediately upon receiving my new barrel :) I hope it isn't too long before it comes in the mail! :D

Rick

heat gun,hair dryer and a lot of armstrong. :)

Man I wish I knew you were selling your old stuff I would have been all over it. Keep us posted when the new kit comes in!

Itsricmo said:

Rick
Small strap wrench, just be carefull not to crush it.

Heating ther receiver slightly may help....do not overheat it. Try to heat the receiver w/o heating the mag tube for best results.

I'm glad Mossberg did that with the 18.5" breachers.

On the 590 American models they fixed the breacher to a 20" barrel, bringing the total length to 23". Wasn't too bad in its original cruiser configuration, but boy does it look long once I put a stock on it.

...oh, and you can call Mossberg Sales and order the 18.5" breacher barrel directly from them...

(800) 363-3555

Just be sure you reference the part number Tim provided since some of the model 500 breacher barrels use a different barrel lug and the 590 style mag tube/cap assembly...

Thanks for the information on the removal of the mag tube! I will try out the hair dryer first as I don't have a heat gun and do not want to torch the receiver lol I never thought of the strap wrench thing, sort of like what I would use to remove my Oil Filter, right?

I may call Mossberg because they haven't called me yet lol

Itsricmo said:
Thanks for the information on the removal of the mag tube! I will try out the hair dryer first as I don't have a heat gun and do not want to torch the receiver lol I never thought of the strap wrench thing, sort of like what I would use to remove my Oil Filter, right?

I may call Mossberg because they haven't called me yet lol

be careful if you use a strap wrench not to put too much pressure to collapse the tube.

come on Ric,,,,

Attachments

• 357ei1.jpg
    357ei1.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 866

Ric,

When I changed my spring and follower. I went into the bathroom, sat on the toilet (not like that guys), and used the hair dryer to heat the receiver. I put the receiver between my knees to hold it, then used my hands to twist it out. They used red Lock Tite between the receiver and mag tube. It took some muscles to get it to turn. It would turn about a 1/8 of a turn each time I muscled it. Had to reheat the receiver a couple times. Took about 5 minutes to get it out. I did not use any tools. When I put it back in, I did not use any Lock Tite, just tightened it as much as I could. Good Luck

Frank

First I was like WTF....and then I was like cool :grin::grin:

Sent from my Mossberg 930 using Tapatalk2

Back