• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Customization and Modification

5e7c68791abeaf152e7e8f9a67081143.jpg

Just had the loading port beveled & blued for my 1st 3 gun match next month....

Hi! New shotgun owner here. I picked up a used (but nearly new) JIC II a couple weeks ago. My local range requires shotguns to have butt stocks so I added a 6-position stock and the ProMag tri-rail forend. I also added a butt pad and a set of tan ladder-style rail covers ( not pictured below). I bought a couple 25 round boxes of Winchester white box "heavy target" shells for $7 each from Wal-Mart. Hopefully I'll get to the range next Monday. "Before" and "After" pics:

Welcome to the forum from NY and congrats on your "new to you" Mossy.

Thanks for the pics.:)

I actually cleaned off the bluing & switched my tacstar side saddle to a mesa tactical .....you can see how much more room & less interference of the saddle for my strong hand reloads
234569342b28a0d1ab75ea31088d45bd.jpg

A few weeks ago, I picked up an old Mossberg 500A 12 Ga with a 28 inch Vent Rib Modified barrel. Both the stock and fore end had some cracks but the price was very good. I had been kinda looking for a pump gun for slugs and/or buckshot so I thought I would do a make over on this one.

Here is what I started with.

003_zps77fd3f8d.jpg

Feeling like Dr. Frankenstein looking for parts, I found a cheap plastic stock and fore end from a 500 Persuader. Someone had already painted them so I was able to get these for cheap.

001_zpsda30c141.jpg

I disassembled the gun and although it was very dirty, it showed very little wear. I had never stripped one of these guns but thanks to You Tube, it was pretty easy to break it down to the bare receiver.

I decided to get outside of the box and join the zombie craze and paint the stock and fore end green.

004_zpsc446424f.jpg

005_zpsf5e241bd.jpg

Instead of buying another barrel, I just cut this one off. Because of the spacing of the vent rib, 19.5 inches was as short as I could go. I have painted the receiver and magazine tube flat black, and the bolt a matching green. I just cut the barrel today so it isn't painted yet. I have a fiber optic front sight to put on it (green, of course) and I may get the DeWalt out and port the barrel. Anyway, here is the semi finished results.

002_zpsa002b8e3.jpg

I figure it can double as a night light in the bedroom, I just hope that it isn't too bright and keeps me awake.

Paint and cutting tools!!!
I love it when people take a 500 and turn it into a custom gun.
The best thing about 500's is their price on the used market.
That allows all us yahoos to rattle can them and shorten them to what makes us happy!!!
Please keep us informed on how the paint on the bolt holds up to shooting.
I have never painted the bolts of guns I have rattle canned, but just might in the future if it lasts on your gun.
Thanks.

Some people cut the VR at the closest point and justleave the last inch or so open so thjey can get to closer to 18". I like what you did better, it looks better having the VR extend all the way to the end IMHO.

Well done. Love DIY stuff

Ey up im wanting to put the magpul stock and foreend on my suppressed 500 are they all standard size furniture or are they all different? Its a 3 shot btw

uploadfromtaptalk1447846325041.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Yep, all standard as long as the action slide tube is the right length. It needs to be the longer one at 7-3/8 or 7-5/8" I think. The shorter tube is about 6-1/2" but in that case, Hogue Grips makes an extension nut for the shorter tube so that aftermarket furniture will work.

Back