• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Customization and Modification

replace plastic with aluminum trigger guard

I was reading and saw that the military bought a bunch of 500's, although the opted for an aluminum trigger guard. It appears the trigger guard houses the entire trigger assembly.

I was wondering if there was a way to replace the plastic one with an aluminum one.

Re: replace plastic with aluminum trigger guard

Yeah, its a fairly easy process. Just buy the trigger ass'y, and its just like breaking the gun down completely.

I'll have to look, I tried to put my 590A1 trigger in my 500 and vice versa. One didnt fit very well... I'll have to go back and look through the thread.

Re: replace plastic with aluminum trigger guard

Thanks for the reply.

I found an all aluminum one at brownells. They're out of stock, but I'm sure they can get more if I backorder one.

While I have it out, I may do some trigger work and get some of the takeup out of it.

Plus, my safety hasn't worked in years so it really wouldn't be a bad idea on my part to replace everything anyway.

Re: Project 500

Got some goodies from Brad the other day ...

DSCN1646.jpg

DSCN1647.jpg

DSCN1648.jpg

DSCN1649.jpg

DSCN1650.jpg

DSCN1651.jpg

DSCN1652.jpg

wow u really turned that old 500 around it looks much better and thats some sweet looking leather on it. :D
job well done

Texas_Made said:
wow u really turned that old 500 around it looks much better and thats some sweet looking leather on it. :D
job well done

I think I have more money in "upgrades" than I spent on the gun initially - especially if you figure retail price for Brad's work. Kind of like putting a Ferrari body kit on a Fiero. :lol:

LTB45 said:
That heat shield looks great.
I love the matte finish.
What company makes that one?

John Masen.

Same one I use, but mine is painted FDE to match the gun

That old gun smell... ;-)

Picked up this 500 AT a month ago. Cost me $122 out the door. Won it on GB from a local pawn shop. Not in the best condition but not too bad. Had a 28" mod. choke barrel on it. Stock has a small split in it. It does have a metal safety button. :) Serial # is G485xxx.

I was thinking of making an ATP8 out of it (20" barrel and long mag tube) but didn't want to have to deal with installing bushings on the the bushing-less Maverick tube I was going to use.

I DID cut the barrel down to 18.5" and re-installed the bead. I'll post separately about this specific project at a later date. Didn't come out too bad for my first effort--cut was straight and smooth but the bead is about 1/64" off center... :oops: Someone else may never notice but it is enough that I notice... :roll:

While replacing/reinstalling mag tubes I noticed this one had a slide tube forward motion buffer coil spring installed. Is this a standard thing? Might have something to do with the following...

Once back together and lubed, I checked for proper function and one thing I noticed was that the trigger disconnector was not disconnecting the trigger and "locking" the slide when the slide was cycled with the trigger squeezed--hmmmmm? :?:

The trigger assembly appeared to be unmodified so I'm going to guess that this 500 will "slam fire" although I haven't tested it. I can see the hammer resting against the bolt as the slide is brought forward.

So what do you think? Bad disconnector or is the gun a slammerjammer? :D

Attachments

• 500at1.jpg
    500at1.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 636
  • 500at2.jpg
    500at2.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 635
Re: That old gun smell... ;-)

Not saying you wouldn't otherwise, but just be smart about firing that thing the first time and maybe bring someone with you just in case. Look forward to seeing this progress and eagerly awaiting that write up on the cut down.

Looks like a sweet ride to me! I love the classic riot gun look!

very sweet look to it.

oh, don't forget to add that beaut to your sig line... ;)

Re: My Mossberg 500 Pump Action Build...

DHonovich said:

I had ordered one of these folding stocks originally for my build. However, my buddy has one and he let me shoot his today and the folding part kept rubbing my thumb joint/knuckle raw. So, i instead ordered a black hawk spec ops knoxx stock instead. I will be sending the ATI back when it comes next week. I really like how the grip felt on the ATI but i ordered me a black hawk slip on specifically made for the Knoxx pistol grip so.

Back