• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Older Models

Re: Front rails do not come off receiver

Post some pics.

Does the gun work ok when it is together?

Duel arms on the action tube?

Can you point out the parts you are having the problem. I was referring to the arms on the action tube.

Attachments

• InternalsDiagram.jpg
    InternalsDiagram.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 380
  • double bar.jpg
    double bar.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 376

I bet the OP is talking about arms that are built into the slide action tube maybe.

I just want to switch out the forend with a more "tactical" one. I'm not sure it matters but the gun is marked as an "ABR" model. I know A is 12 gauge, I think the B means it was purchased at a retailer not a gunshop but I don't know what R means or if it has anything to do with my issue.

Help!

Thanks[/quote]

While lookin' around,,,,,,A= 12ga,,,,B= A large retail store,,,,R= royal or deluxe. Nothing to do with your issue.

It is the pictured part by itself below your exploded view. Maybe I'm not calling it the right thing. I though it was the "front rail". This may sound silly but for purposes of clarity... I can't get the thing that is attached to the wood part off the gun (receiver) ! :) Now my next question, when we get it off, I'm I going to have a problem getting the wood thing off the metal thing...

But for now. My picture shows the furthest I can get the gun broken down.

Hope that helps you help me!!

Attachments

• mossy 500.jpeg
    mossy 500.jpeg
    127.4 KB · Views: 342

Sorry. Yes the Gun functions and cycles fine when assembled.

Thanks again for effort on this.

tr

Looks like you have the receiver empty. Is there anything on the mag tube that could be stopping it from sliding off? As it sits now it should come off.
Changing out the wood part of the forend shouldn't be a problem once you get the action tube off.

Looking inside the receiver can you see the end of the action tube arms, and are they free?

If they are free, something must be binding on the mag tube.

I have a New Haven (by Mossberg) 600 AT. its a 500 clone. With the same issue. I have yet to figure out how to get the arms out of the receiver. My only solution was to remove the nut securing the grip to the forend assembly. And remove the grip. I made a spanner from a piece of steel tube, but tools are commercially available.

What I don't understand is I have a 500A from the '80's also and it comes right apart.
:?: :?: :?:

I think I found something lookin' around. I don't know when Mossberg started to use the currant mag tubes,but the older ones had ridges on them holding the action tube on.
Take the mag tube off and slide the action tube off the back.

Thank goodness for google. :)

Sorry guys,,,,the answer was right here all the time,,,,,
viewtopic.php?t=8045&p=106219

here's a look at the type.

Attachments

• 950e4b4433a9894bfe06efdd8bb3e4bb.jpg
    950e4b4433a9894bfe06efdd8bb3e4bb.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 271

I've seen that picture before but I didn't think it was related, I didn't notice that there was something around the middle of the mag tube. So its that black "spring like thing"!!?? Is it really as simple as that?! Thanks for your persistence Old Mossy!!! I had all but given up.

Ok, so now I'm gonna tear that apart and get back on here when I can't get it back together!!!! Old Mossy, you might as well start your search on that! :D :lol:

Thanks again.

No problem. Glad to help.

VICTORY IS THINE!!!!!

I can't wait till someone asks the same question on this forum.. I'll be an "expert"... on something at least.

Now I just have to get it all back together.

Attachments

• victory.jpeg
    victory.jpeg
    117.7 KB · Views: 207

Glad you got it. :D
Do you know the year of your 500ABR ?

No. 1982-83? I had to be 13-14. How can I tell? There is a number stamped on the receiver of D81359. Serial number? I read they are pretty inconsistent on these models. I remember it was a pretty awesome gift though! My second gun, first shotgun.

FYI. I found this on the web about the "ABR":

"Mossberg 500ABR "Country Squire" edition. From what I know, the CS edition was a sort of limited edition run for Mossberg. "A" stands for 12ga, "B" stands for that it was sold in chain-stores like Walmart, and "R" stands for 'royale' or 'deluxe' explaining the engraving and such. There is nice engraving on both sides of the receiver which is a hunting scene with dogs and pheasants on one side and a large pheasant with "Country Squire" on the other side. It has the classic scalloped bolt which you only really find on older Mossbergs""

Sounds exactly like my gun... Interesting.

New Haven 600AT stock

Hi all, just new to the forum. I have a New Haven 600AT which I am told is a Model 500. Where can I find a Buttstock for it. Old one is checkered on the pistol grip and for end. Any ideas would be helpful thanks.

Re: New Haven 600AT stock

Welcome to the forum from NY. The 600A and the 500A are the same stocks and are all over the internet.
You get a chance post a pic or two. :)

Back