Mossberg 500 Pump Action Paint and Refinishing

Discussion in 'Mossberg 500 Pump Action' started by 30.06, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Tanker

Tanker .223

Re: Staining 500 Stock

I beleive it is common with birch/beech as I have researched. It is just a fact of life with these species. Unless you apply a spray stain/lacquer finish, you are going to get the blotchly look. Even with the wood conditioner, it is there, though nto as pronounced. As I said earlier, it is not an unattractive look and I really prefer it to the factory finishes.
    Now, if is was a walnut setup, I would be really happy! Nothing looks better than a nice oil finish walnut stock. Ron

2. Tanker

Tanker .223

Also one other thing (without the risk of abusing my posting priviledge) is the forend.
    Has anybody else noticed that the wood grain and stainign of the forend is quite different to the butt stock? Is tht because the forend is cut differently concerning grain? It stains nicely without any dark spots. Ron
  3. John A.

John A. I'm "THAT" guy Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Walnut certainly makes for nice wooden anythings. LOL

Before my Dad past away, he made us an entire living room suit with a TV/Entertainment cabinet and two really large Curio cabinets from a walnut tree that had fallen during a bad storm in my late Aunt's back yard.

A few of the pieces even has some of the "defective" white sap wood streaks in it, which I specifically asked Dad to leave in the wood as it gave it some character that you won't find in a production piece.
  4. valvestem

valvestem .22LR

There is a pre-treatment method for staining wood, so you will not get the blotchy effect. It has to do with diluting shellac down like 4 to 1 and applying to the wood before the stain. I am probably wrong on the ratio as it has been many years since my woodworking days, but I am sure the internet can offer up the formula information.
  5. Tanker

Tanker .223

Yes, Minwax has a wood condtioner already mixed.
  6. John A.

John A. I'm "THAT" guy Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator

I have used many different brands of wood stain and treatment and protection over the years, but Minwax is my favorite.
  7. ripjack13

ripjack13 Resident Sawdust Maker Staff Member Administrator Forum Moderator Supporter "Philanthropist"

8. Tanker

Tanker .223

Thanks I already know and read those articles. I used Minwax wood conditioner. MY updates are on my other post on teh finished product. Ron
  9. zoner

zoner .410

coupla paint projects first Mossberg 500A, Hogue overmolded forend,walnut Buttstock cut down and fitted with Hogue ez fit recoil pad then primed and painted buttstock flat black to match forend. Disassembled gun, had metal done in "Battleship Gray", reassembled and installed Marble's Tritium bead sight. My homemade "Mariner", here she is mossy 1.jpg
    Conn 500 likes this.
  10. zoner

zoner .410

my camo HD/truck gun. 20 ga H+R w/18 1/4" barrel and 26" barrel threaded for choke tubes, finish by Krylon.......Mike camo.jpg
    Conn 500 and LTB45 like this.
  11. LTB45

LTB45 .308 Supporter

KRYLON my most favorite finish on 500's
  12. GRV03

GRV03 .22LR

As mentioned in a previous thread im probably going to be buying a 54303 here soon and painting away that god awful Muddy Girl but leaving the blued finish as is, so just fore end and stock

Anyone know offhand how that finish is done? Is it readily removed or should/could i just paint over it?

If im not interested in painting the metal could/should i skip Duracote and opt for something cheapet like Krylon?
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  13. LTB45

LTB45 .308 Supporter

It is probably a Hydro dip process but dont quote me on it.
    I have 2 500's I have painted with Krylon. I hunt with these and shoot plenty of clay targets with them.
    Krylon holds up great!
    Rossignol likes this.
  14. Rossignol

Rossignol The Original Sheriff Staff Member Global Moderator Sponsor Forum Moderator

I second what LTB said. Probably hydrodip, krylon is cheap and easy.
    LTB45 likes this.
  15. Conn 500

Conn 500 .223

That's some great work there.