• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Paint and Refinishing

Re: Painted the 500 with Duracoat....... check it out

that looks awesome. I think green is a great color for firearms.

Very nice. Looks good green.

The OD looks great on the 500! Mossberg should sell that color from the factory.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Good job. I see cheap 500s all the time. Maybe one day I'll pick one of them up for a project like this.

I'm a FDE guy honestly but the OD is just as neat. Better than boring old black.

Dang!!! Looks excellent!!!

What really caught my attention is that you did your bolt too!! That has been on my list for some time now

Looks good!

I had the same idea over the past weekend and had the same OD kit in the shop. Originally for an AK I ended up using it on the 590 instead. Was easy to do and the cost wasn't bad either, I originally bought the kit at Midway on sale for like $45 I think.

160.jpg

Itsricmo said:
Dang!!! Looks excellent!!!

What really caught my attention is that you did your bolt too!! That has been on my list for some time now

thanks i thought of it last minute. on this mossy it was a machine finish on the bolt kinda shinny. if it was black i would of left it alone.

ZombieHunterD said:
Do you have to use the degreaser/cleaner or can you just sandblast? If it turns out good I may do this layer down the line to my m500 and px4. Hopefully we het some pics from other people to compare or ill have to google lol

you can sand blast but be carefull of mossy upper reciever its made out of aluminum. i just scuffed it up a bit then degreased. you might be able to get away with using acetone or some 90% alchol for prep.

thanks for the comments and yes his green looks a bit darker than mine.

i used aug green and he used od green. my green seems like it has more grey in it. once i get a pov video you guys will see the color in the sun

,,,,both great looking shotguns!!! :D

My bolt has that chrome plate on the face of it and sort of a machined finish across the remainder of the bolt. In another thread the removal I believe called for Brake Fluid and Coke lol... Some research would be necessary for me.... I am scared as all get out when it comes to doing some heavy manipulation like that to my 500 :p

Good work in both shotguns.I like it a lot.I also have found a dealer in Germany for the future.I´d like to see some gun with parkerized finish.
I have a blackpowder pistol with grey Cerakote but I never hear about Duracoat until read this post.
A little question.Is possible to read the serial number from barrel after aplying Duracoat paint?Here,this number must be visible for police inspections.

While duracoat will fill in very small engravings, it usually isn't a problem to read if the numbers are to atf specs.

I believe on some imported weapons that have importers marks engraved with a cheap hand tool instead of being stamped, then it can become an issue.

American Grouch said:
Looks good!

I had the same idea over the past weekend and had the same OD kit in the shop. Originally for an AK I ended up using it on the 590 instead. Was easy to do and the cost wasn't bad either, I originally bought the kit at Midway on sale for like $45 I think.

160.jpg

Grouch

If you could, post some more pics and details over the color selection.

Nice Sneezer by the way!

ThaGooch said:
American Grouch said:
Looks good!

Grouch

If you could, post some more pics and details over the color selection.

Nice Sneezer by the way!

Hope the OP doesn't mind, don't want to be hijacking his thread.

This is the exact kit I used, looks like there was a price drop or my memory is faulty, likely the latter.

http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/813706 ... green-4-oz

The below images were taken today. Yes, we still have about 2 and a half feet of snow on the ground. In direct sunlight I guess you can see the OD green better. I'm quite happy with the way it came out.

Since I have a SOE Micro rig on the way I elected to not put a side saddle on though I did put a velcro ESSTAC 7 shot card on the stock. Between that, the 4 in the speedfeed, and the 9 in the gun I've got 20rds on the gun. Having the shell card on the outboard side of the stock doesn't jack up the balance I like. Also makes loading within the workspace from under just as quick for me.

001.jpg

005.jpg

007.jpg

014.jpg

025.jpg

009.jpg

,,,i'm likein that green color on a mossy. :D

As prepping is the key to any re-finishing, other steps can be added to prolong the "fresh" finish.

Such as when dealing with plastics. There are many kinds of plastic compositions. But the one thing that is common is the flexibility. Although flexibility is key with moving parts, it can b a hinder with adhesion issues. This falling back to prep step. If the type of plastic is unknown, you can side step the adhering landlmine with a promoter. This allowing the paint to plastic bond to increase wear.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 539

A further step can also add to the everyday wear and tear on the finish. While not keeping it completely indestructible, a flex additive in paint and matte clear coat along with letting each coat of the desired finish to cure thoroughly will add longevity to your desired finish on plastics.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 538
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 539
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 539

sweet gun. i need some pics of mine in the sun.

i just picked up a eotech tooo. ill post some pics

Back