• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Paint and Refinishing

Re: Removing Spray Paint of Mossberg 500A

Jaxis said:
I cant seem to figure out how to add images

click post reply
upload attachment
browse
choose pic
add file
place inline
submit.

You have a lot of sanding to do.

Probably easier to sand off the drip marks and just repaint.

Oh...my...gawd....my eyes! My eyes! It burns us!

Hey, it does have a certain old school charm to it.

Oh dear lordy... Burn it... BURN IT DEATH!
I am going to have to vote the sanding idea and wire brushes... Going to to take a while... Do you have any free slave labor? I mean kids??? ;) :lol:

Oh, cool! A tie dyed Mossberg. Must have been owned by some '60's hippie. :lol:

Wife's pregnant.. so not yet. but im hoping acetone will melt the spray paint.. its appears to be pretty old paint job. I was able to clean the trigger guard last night just buy scratching the paint off with my figner nail.

I would be very careful around the plastic parts with that acetone... lol as said before it was used and probably still is used to weld plastic together. If it comes off that easily, the barrel with a brass brush shouldn't all that horrible.

It's probably an enamel, in which case you might try Easy off oven cleaner or brake fluid on the plastic pieces. Test on a small spot first. Either one will take an hour or so, but you'll need to watch it and test it to see if the paint has softened. As soon as it's soft wash it off, then scrape with a hard plastic scraper that is used for scraping burnt food off cookware. You can get the scrapers at the local supermarket.

Also as a thought, the plastic spreaders for putty. You can sand or file them to match the grooves where needed.

I haven't had the need to do it, but I have read that car model builders use Purple Power to strip paint off the plastic pieces. Pour some in a tub, and let the plastic pieces soak in it.

here is my first run on the barrel. will go back and touch out later

Attachments

• moss4.JPG
    moss4.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 249

And here is the receiver, stock, and mag tube. Will work on hand guard tomorrow.

Attachments

• moss5.JPG
    moss5.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 196

Jaxis said:
And here is the receiver, stock, and mag tube. Will work on hand guard tomorrow.

starting to shape up.
what are you using to strip the paint?

much better

I ended up just using straight acetone on everything including the synthetic stock. was all my hardware store had. my hand sure is sore though. was worth it though. I'm going to have to replace the butt stock, or just paint it. Its now grayish green and white

Back