• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Paint and Refinishing

Re: Removing Spray Paint of Mossberg 500A

Jaxis said:
I ended up just using straight acetone on everything including the synthetic stock. was all my hardware store had. my hand sure is sore though. was worth it though. I'm going to have to replace the butt stock, or just paint it. Its now grayish green and white

don't forget the pics. :)

old mossy said:
Jaxis said:
I ended up just using straight acetone on everything including the synthetic stock. was all my hardware store had. my hand sure is sore though. was worth it though. I'm going to have to replace the butt stock, or just paint it. Its now grayish green and white

don't forget the pics. :)

Before
During
& After...makes us happy :D

Starting the stock tonight

Attachments

• moss6.JPG
    moss6.JPG
    157.7 KB · Views: 165

First coat of primer. still needs to be sanded but looks better than the camo.

Attachments

• Moss7.JPG
    Moss7.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 164
  • moss8.JPG
    moss8.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 165
Re: Painted the 500 with Duracoat....... check it out

just curious to how the mag tubes have held up with the duracoat and use of the shotgun

I've yet to paint the receiver. its in pretty rough shape. needs some filing and paint for sure. the only paint I've got is high heat grill paint which actually worked out pretty nice for the stock and fore grip. its got a kind of rough texture. similar to skateboard tape but not as abrasive. any ideas for the receiver? maybe just some semi gloss black paint?

for anyone looking to remove paint or strip stain off look into a soda blaster.

it works alot better than sanding and its better on the enviroment. its not as hard on the material like sand blasting.

but you need a compressor to use it. i reccomend this for making a car look better to refinishing a gun.

once i have mine set up and working i will make a video in hd.

most of the time the sand blaster weakens the metal but thats not the case for the soda blaster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm3WOo33kNc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDEfGvWBTGA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmDRPZG_xxY

if you have a gun that has amazing carving and wood work its hard to sand in ever spot. this gets in there and removes nothing compared to sanding.

lmk if any of you guys have exp with these or if you decide to buy one lmk

Re: Painted the 500 with Duracoat....... check it out

ZombieHunterD said:
just curious to how the mag tubes have held up with the duracoat and use of the shotgun

its still on there good. i drop my gun in sand, dirt, rocks, metal tables etc and i just have a few nicks. you cant even notice it unless you have extreme ocd. so for me its great stuff.

the mag tube doesnt even look scratched and i put about 300rds through it since i did the paint. i purchased the duracoat with the lube built into the paint. so that might be why idk. ill post here again with updates so you guys have a better idea.

i had the gun in the back of my truck, in a scabbard, in a tool box, and much more.

Re: DuraCoating My 500A - T1 Tactical Black

Hey BuffaloDave! I saw the pictures of your prepped and painted Mossberg. Nicely done! Very meticulous and patient. That means it will last longer because you did it right the first time.
What color is that? My Mossey is Blued but I want something that isn't so shiny and reflective.
I looked through a few of you pictures while I was there.
Beautiful CARS! Wow! I thought salt ate up cars like that decades ago.
P.S. I sent you a friend request on FB.

Attachments

• IMG_0139b.jpg
    IMG_0139b.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 206

Hi DorangoLV!

Thanks for the compliments! The color on my gun is T1 Tactical Black (the color name was in the title of this article! LOL)...I saw your friend request on FB this morning, and deleted it, as I get a lot of prank requests...now that I know it's legit, try resending again! My apologies!

My car on my FB page is my 1st car I ever owned. My brother purchased it brand new in 1969 from my uncle's AMC dealership here in Buffalo, NY. --- After driving it 3 years, he wanted a Mustang, so my parents bought him out, and gave me the car as a high school graduation gift! I've owned it ever since, and even drove it through the Blizzard of '77...it went through a ground-up rebuild, and is now better-than-new! Thanks again for the compliments!

Good luck with your projects!
Dave

Dang, nice work there, Dave!
That flat color really goes great on a shotgun and you did an awesome job!

Itsricmo said:
Dang, nice work there, Dave!
That flat color really goes great on a shotgun and you did an awesome job!

Thank you Itsricmo!
Not too shabby for a 1st attempt! ;)

you don't want to see what I turned up with my 1st attempt on my Mosin hahaha... Krylon doesn't like left over Cosmoline that seeps out of the wood for future reference.

Itsricmo said:
you don't want to see what I turned up with my 1st attempt on my Mosin hahaha... Krylon doesn't like left over Cosmoline that seeps out of the wood for future reference.

Yuck! Yeah, this DuraCoat is AWESOME stuff....not bulletproof, so it can scratch and obtain a gloss on the flat finish if rubbed a lot...but I'm very pleased!

Duracoat makes my Krylon look like cheap crap.. oh wait... IT IS! haha
By no means am I trying to compare the two but definitely your Duracoat is better and turned out better!! :D

Have you seen the "Shake n'Spray" Duracoat they have out?

Itsricmo said:
Duracoat makes my Krylon look like cheap crap.. oh wait... IT IS! haha
By no means am I trying to compare the two but definitely your Duracoat is better and turned out better!! :D

Have you seen the "Shake n'Spray" Duracoat they have out?

Yes! That is exactly what I used, as I didn't have an airbrush, nor did I want to purchase one for what most likely would have been a one-time use. I bought TWO (2) kits at the same time, just in case I needed to redo anything down the road. GREAT stuff!

Oh wow! I didn't know you used the Shake n'Spray!
I had heard so much bad about it that I rather use Krylon instead but now I am kind of upset I didn't realize that is what you used earlier! Looks excellent and even better then what I had been reading!

Mossberg 500 "Matte" finish maintenance

I have a Mossberg 500 50521 18.5 with the Matte finish. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for maintaining the finish. I got two responses from Mossberg (any gun oil & WD-40). I was curious what readers use and why. Thanks in advance.

Re: Mossberg 500 "Matte" finish maintenance

'Matte' (meaning dull) refers to the reflectivity of the finish. The actual finish material could be anything from anodized aluminum to paint. Without knowing what the actual material in question is, I'd suggest going with the Mossberg recommendation.

I have an old Mariner (shiny Marinecote) and use a common gun oil (Outers, Hoppes, etc.) to wipe it down with occasionally, even tho Marinecote requires very little to zero maintenance. I really don't worry much about the exterior finish on any of my guns. The bolt and other internals are more important.

Back