• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Paint and Refinishing

Re: Mossberg 500 "Matte" finish maintenance

Please pickup a spray can of CLP and use that in conjunction with a quality gun oil instead of using WD40 only. While WD40 is a great product it isn't intended to be used standalone as it has ZERO lubricant properties to it. Its a water displacer plain and simple. Thus the recommendation of Mossberg to use the two. Don't think you can just use one or the other. Alot of folks do and choose the WD40 only. In the long term that is just going to setup you up for failure.

WD40 works great as a penetrating oil. If something was neglected and rusted together it shines in that role really well but as a long term preservative it dries out quickly, turns kinda gummy and leaves little to no real protection. That is where you need to come back and give everything a nice thin coat of oil afterwards especially for long term storage.

The beauty of CLP is that it applies more like WD40 out of the spray can and in most cases strong enough to be a penetrating product for crud/rusted/stubborn to remove parts. What it does that WD40 can't is continue to lubricate and preserve the parts you saturated with it. Its 2 birds with one stone. If you really feel the need to go back and oil certain parts ie friction points with a traditional gun oil it can't hurt especially on hard utilized working gun but usually CLP is more than sufficient if you just want to store the gun for a long period somewhere.

My 2 cents. I've use it pretty religiously and have found it to be more convenient and beneficial than the WD40/traditional gun oil route. YMMV as usual.

For the record one of the emails I got back from Mossberg defines the finish as Parkerized. jgwills sounds like some good advice - thanks.

I believe you are correct. The finish is parkerized. I know my 500 SPX is and I use a good CLP to wipe it down and a good gun oil to oil the internals when needed.

Thats strange. I recently got a "matte" 500. I just called mossberg to ask about a heat shield since I've only seen parkerized and blued for factory ones. He gave me a matte specific part number and also said I would have to order it over the phone as its not online.

That's strange. Looks like even Mossberg isn't sure what to call it. Maybe we should call it matte parkerizing?

If it not parkerizing then it's made to closely resemble it!

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Okay, I found this on wiki. Not that wiki is always a reliable source but assuming that it is.

"The standard finish for the Model 500 is an anodized aluminum alloy receiver and a polished and blued barrel. Some models come with a matte black painted receiver, and a matte blued barrel. Some 500 models are anodized to look parkerized, with parkerized barrels. This is also true of the 590 series since an aluminum receiver cannot be parkerized."

That at least confirms that there is blued, matte, and parkerized. As for maintenance, I would probably go with the recommendations you got from Mossberg, or anything that is not going to ruin the paint.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mossberg_5 ... mbinations

Then to add on to it, I saw on Mossberg's site both a matte, and a matte blued finish. Who knows? Lol.

The email I got directly from Mossberg (I specified my model as a 50521) and they specifically stated that it was parkerized. I have a feeling if this keeps going it will get more confusing. It does look like on any given day it can be listed as everything (anything) possible. Without a background in metalurgy I really can't say. Unless I get something better the Mossberg recommendation will stand. In looking over the internet I see a lot of good stuff for G-96 Synthetic CLP for matte/parkerized barrels.

CLP works just fine on mine.

Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber or Break Free Powder Blast also work well as a degreaser on park'd barrels...

dlo said:
Okay, I found this on wiki. Not that wiki is always a reliable source but assuming that it is.

"The standard finish for the Model 500 is an anodized aluminum alloy receiver and a polished and blued barrel. Some models come with a matte black painted receiver, and a matte blued barrel. Some 500 models are anodized to look parkerized, with parkerized barrels. This is also true of the 590 series since an aluminum receiver cannot be parkerized."

That at least confirms that there is blued, matte, and parkerized. As for maintenance, I would probably go with the recommendations you got from Mossberg, or anything that is not going to ruin the paint.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mossberg_5 ... mbinations

Then to add on to it, I saw on Mossberg's site both a matte, and a matte blued finish. Who knows? Lol.

I Forget the # of mine, but it is a 20"/7+1 with heat shield. It is the matte and has the matte heat shield, which i didn't even know mossberg made til I did some digging here. i really like the look of it.

Finishes for mossy's

Just picked up a new toy (she's not new though...) and was wondering about getting her refinished. Anybody know who, what, where can be done for a mariner finish? Pics are posted in another thread, but I'll post one here for ya'll:
CUu5V51.jpg

Re: Finishes for mossy's

Mossberg won't do it:
BARREL REFINISHING

International Customers please, click here

Mossberg® is pleased to offer a refinishing service for many of our barrels. The service is limited to the reblue of original blued finished barrels and the rephosphate of original phosphate barrels. Sorry, we will not alter a barrel from its original finish and no other components will be refinished. Marinecote™ or camouflaged barrels are not included.

And since Marinecote is a proprietary finish, I doubt that anyone else would have the capability. The Marinecote is applied to the barrel and mag tube on the inside as well as the outside. You might be better off buying a new barrel and mag tube.

GunnyGene said:
You might be better off buying a new barrel and mag tube.

This. lol It would probably cost the same if not less to have it redone completely if at all possible.

John A. said:
I may be mistaken (which wouldn't be the first time), but I think the marinecoat and NP3 Robar are the same finish.

http://robarguns.com/custom-firearm-finishes/np3/

I've heard that also, but don't know enough about it to have a valid opinion. I do have a relevant question tho:

Which came first, NP3, or Marinecote? Especially since the first couple years of Marinecoted guns were shiney (mine for example) and often mistaken for stainless steel, and NP3 is a matte finish.

I don't know which came first.

Paint that's close or a match to parkerized color?

I know I must sound like a broken record for all these topics about parkerized this and parkerized that and I apologize. :oops: I just ask that you bear with me for one more. :lol: I've got the ATI heat shield. I like the way it looks now, but have been thinking about stripping and repainting it. I was thinking that if I repaint it, is there a paint that is close, or even a match, to the parkerized color? I'm not looking to parkerize the heat shield, just color it to look like the parkerization on my 500.

Paint that's close or a match to parkerized color?

I don't have an answer for you but I'm interested if there is one as well. However, I've found that one way to deal with that is to not even try. Paint it something totally different like FDE or tan so it contrasts instead of almost matches. My brother has an 870 with a barrel Cerakoted in FDE and it looks nice on the gunmetal grey tube and receiver.

Re: Paint that's close or a match to parkerized color?

Why do you not want to parkerize it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

yz9890 said:
I don't have an answer for you but I'm interested if there is one as well. However, I've found that one way to deal with that is to not even try. Paint it something totally different like FDE or tan so it contrasts instead of almost matches. My brother has an 870 with a barrel Cerakoted in FDE and it looks nice on the gunmetal grey tube and receiver.

Doing something different crossed my mind as well. I probably wouldn't even be thinking about repainting it if I didn't scratch it while installing it. :oops:

Tommyid1 said:
Why do you not want to parkerize it?

Well, I'm not against parkerizing it. I'm just not sure how that's done or what it costs. I don't want to spend a lot. The shield only cost about $20 in the first place. :mrgreen:

JayC said:
Doing something different crossed my mind as well. I probably wouldn't even be thinking about repainting it if I didn't scratch it while installing it. :oops:

The first scratch can be heartbreaking. I've found that the best way to deal with a scratch is to get more scratches. ;)

Back