• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Troubleshooting

Re: Grrr ... Ejector Screw

One of my 500's that I bought off of Gunbroker, did not come with an Ejector or the Ejector Screw.
The guy refunded me $20 and I called Havlin Sales http://www.havlinsales.com they sent me the Ejector and the screw shipped for $15
Great people to deal with!

Re: 500A stock trouble

I had just today read these replies to my post I have been working everyday since. I will try the vice as soon as I get he chance, it is a new gun so I am hopeful it will break loose with some extra force.
Thanks for all the replies.

Don

If it is thread-locked, sometimes you have to apply a little heat. If you have a soldering iron, try heating it up and placing the tip on the head of the bolt that holds the stock in place.

Part arrived yesterday. Put her together this evening. Need to get back to the range with her this weekend ... happy Father's Day! :mrgreen:

Good to hear.
Enjoy your weekend and your 500.

Strip the gun down and remove the trigger group. The stock itself will turn to release the tension on the stock bolt.

When reassembling it, place the stock approx 20 degrees off the center point, snug the stock bolt with your tool, and then gently turn the stock the last bit to center the trigger group cut out. It prevents stripping the stock bolt receiver hole from too much leverage on the tool.

rich

slugs with 500a?

i have checked the forums a bit, and google (i admit, while im not bad with google, i cant seem to search forums worth a crap, but i did what i could) and i couldnt find much on the subject, i know this has been talked about. at least i would think. is there any issue shooting slugs with a standard 500a (believe to be between mid/late 80's to early 90's, still researching the date)?

what about all those crazy funky cool loads like the dragons breath, dragons slug, bolo (heard it called something else too... its the two balls with the string between them), and all those other crazy mostly un neeeded (but assumingly very fun to shoot) shells?

or am i stuck with bird and buck...

also in the topic, so i dont have to start a new thread for a simple question...

is there any real downside to choosing 2 3/4 shells over 3" shells? i have read that the 500 hold 6 of the first, or 5 of the second (not counting chamber) what real differances do you see in the 3 main types (bird, buck, and slug).

thanks in advanced and sorry if this has been asked before (im sure it has).

Re: slugs with 500a?

Slugs are good to go. Rifled slug is your best bet. The “rifling” doesn’t impart spin on the slug but rather provides a squish zone for passing through various chokes. Sabots will shoot out of a smooth bore but are not as accurate as rifled and actually start to tumble unless shot through a rifled barrel. Sabots and a rifled barrel are the most accurate and have the best accurate range.As far as the gimmick type rounds I havent shot any but I would venture to say that if it fits a Mossberg will shoot it.

I think that there is an advantage in the longer shell for hunting and range but as you said one less round is the tade off. I would rather have the extra round . as far as HD 2 3/4 will do the job fine.

+1 with Oli

Shouldn't be a problem shooting the "specialty" rounds. "Use at your own risk" is somewhere on the packaging I am sure.

larger round = longer range, bigger punch, greater kick, 1 less shell in the tube

I concur with what the gentlemen above have opinioned...

Slugs = OK

Specialty Rounds = Fun, expensive, $ better spent on practice / defense rounds

2 3/4" vs 3" = Depends on the mission...target...range...etc

Just my 2 cents...

Call me +3 to the other comments! :D

Rifled slugs are good to go and Oli gets the gold star this round!

As to the distinct differences in load type;
Birdshot is for bird and small game generally and rather not adapted or suitable as an HD load. (There is way more info dedicated to this in the ammo section)
Buckshot, generaly 00 or #1 is considered acceptable as an HD load. Buckshot can also be an effective load for coyote, wild dogs, and deer within range, though many brands I wouldn't be comfortable pushing beyond 25 yards.
Slugs at typical HD ranges are too much for me to be comfortable with. From what I have seen, they tend to retain weight and shape much more so than I used to believe. This may allow the slug to penetrate and continue penetrating after initial impact with the intended target. Generally 25 yards and beyond, I'd rather be loading a slug for reasonable accuracy and reliable stopping power and far better chance of humane kills if I'm hunting.

Now to shell length.
I personally have zero desire to test 3" shells. It isn't IMO worth the loss of capacity in an HD or competition gun, and I haven't seen anything performance wise to warrant switching over to 3" as a hunting load, especially given the added recoil.

Most importantly in your search for a favorite load(s), never take my word for it! Go shoot A LOT!!! See what meets your needs and see what you like!!! ;)

Rossignol said:
Call me +3 to the other comments! :D

Rifled slugs are good to go and Oli gets the gold star this round!

As to the distinct differences in load type;
Birdshot is for bird and small game generally and rather not adapted or suitable as an HD load. (There is way more info dedicated to this in the ammo section)
Buckshot, generaly 00 or #1 is considered acceptable as an HD load. Buckshot can also be an effective load for coyote, wild dogs, and deer within range, though many brands I wouldn't be comfortable pushing beyond 25 yards.
Slugs at typical HD ranges are too much for me to be comfortable with. From what I have seen, they tend to retain weight and shape much more so than I used to believe. This may allow the slug to penetrate and continue penetrating after initial impact with the intended target. Generally 25 yards and beyond, I'd rather be loading a slug for reasonable accuracy and reliable stopping power and far better chance of humane kills if I'm hunting.

Now to shell length.
I personally have zero desire to test 3" shells. It isn't IMO worth the loss of capacity in an HD or competition gun, and I haven't seen anything performance wise to warrant switching over to 3" as a hunting load, especially given the added recoil.

Most importantly in your search for a favorite load(s), never take my word for it! Go shoot A LOT!!! See what meets your needs and see what you like!!! ;)

I already knew about the shots. But thanks anyway! lol.

I meant whats the difference in the sizes based on the types. Haha.

I prefer for a home efense gun to have 00 buck and then a slug, and then continue rotating order. That way if the 00 for some reason dont get the job done, it should at least give me time to aim and place the slug were i want.

However. In the past with shotguns,vivnever really paid any attention to lenght of the shells. I mainly just when clay shootingand they only allow 2 shells in the gun at a time. So i never needed to care. But For HD i wanted to know.

And i never shot those fancy ones, but want to try tuem for fun at least once. Lol.. i mean comon, a flaming slug is better then no flaming slug right? Lol!

Sounds like you have the right methdology.

If you have the money, and are curious to try the specialty stuff out, have at it. Just devlop a russian accent and videotape it! :lol:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP4FjODPDFA[/youtube]

Were you able to get your stock off?

Hey, did that guy start the wildfires down there near Los Alamos !!??

Oli...we need a fire jumper in aisle 1... :mrgreen:

LOL, Might prevent one here. I’m not trying to be anyone’s dad but paying for the cost of suppression isn’t cheap, $10,000 for one load of retardant X however many it takes, 20 person crew $10,000 a day for one and there will be multiple, Type 1 heavy helo about $ 12, 000 an hour for one and there will be multiple. Plus peoples houses and timber.....adds up quick…If firefighters die its manslaughter if found willful, negligent or malicious…..Dragons breath would be willful and negligent. I have seen people get pinched here for shooting AP at rocks and starting a fire .

I'll tell ya what, people today have about as much common sense as a metal tin with two rocks in it. If you don't stop and think about the results your actions may have, especially when using firearms, then you deserve the Darwin award and whatever comes with it. Be it jail or injury. Call me harsh, but I'd rather not have those type of people around my children.

EDIT: There is nothing wrong with these rounds as long as they're used responsibly and in a safe manner. So if you have a safe spot to go shot them, more power to you. Just keep a fire extinguisher, or at the very least a bucket of water, with you.

Back