• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Troubleshooting

Re: M500 won't load shells

Here's a thread on fixing the cartridge stop, and I'm positive that this is your problem... even the new one from Mossberg is probably still bent in such a way that it's not allowing shells to drop in... and even causing the bind with your action bar. Bend the stop just a hair to the right (when looking at it from the bottom as it's sitting in the receiver) and this should elevate your issue. Also inspect your action bar right at the point where it becomes wider.... this is what actuates the cartridge stop, and if there's excessive wear, this could cause the bar to jump in front of the stop... Got any pictures?

^^^^yup yup and yup^^^^

,,,,almost forgot,,,,welcome to the club from NY. :)

Update: I was able to straighten out the cartridge interrupter and lo and behold, it now cycles! Thanks again for everyone's input.

Action slide assembly problem

First post on this site.

I am having some trouble with my mossberg 500 pump. When I rack the action slide back it doesn't catch the shell stop. Since the shell stop won't move I can't get it to feed any shells into the elevator. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem and what they did to fix it? Do I need a new action slide assembly or is it usually the shell stop? Thanks.

Re: Action slide assembly problem

Is this a problem with all Model 500's or certain model/years?
If it is happening to every 500, Mossberg should do a design mod. Ron

Moss 500 trigger malfunction

I bought my Mossberg 500 flex about 3 months ago. I went target shooting once, dove hunting last week,where I shot 20 rounds or so, and I went dove hunting yesterday and on the first shot, my trigger wouldn't pull. I handed to my buddy who is more savvy about firearms and he pulled it twice and it didnt pull and on the 3rd pull it fired. I put it away for the day and used one of his, But I was wondering if anyone ever had a problem like this. its a fairly new and unused gun. wondering if there was any solutions before i took it the the gun shop. Thank you.

Re: Moss 500 trigger malfunction

Sorry to hear about your problem. There are several different things that could cause it.
If you are not that familiar with the gun I would contact Mossberg. It is under warranty.

Contact
Joe Zakher
jzakher@maverickarms.com
He has helped many members here.

Merged Thread,,,,,,,,,,,,,I bought a wally world Mossberg 500 in .410 back in the spring and the barrel looks as if I might have drilled it with a hand drill. Many concentric rings and a couple that are so deep that I am afraid to shoot it. Really in my 70 years as an amature gunsmith I have never seen a shotgun bbl this rough.
Anybody else run into this situation, and what did you do to correct it. Help Bernie

welcome to the forum from NY. Sorry to hear about your problem. Can you post a pic of the barrel?
Hard to tell without seeing it.

bernie1 said:
I bought a wally world Mossberg 500 in .410 back in the spring and the barrel looks as if I might have drilled it with a hand drill. Many concentric rings and a couple that are so deep that I am afraid to shoot it. Really in my 70 years as an amature gunsmith I have never seen a shotgun bbl this rough.
Anybody else run into this situation, and what did you do to correct it. Help Bernie

Contact Mossberg if the barrel really is rough. I believe they have a 10 year warranty, but it will certainly be covered if you just bought it this year. Have you cleaned it, though? Maybe it is just dirty.

Rob

I have cleaned it several times along with several feet of 240 grit emory cloth which has cleaned up about 50% but there are still 2 places that have really deep gouges. It has become obvious that a chip became lodged in their reamer and really messed up the tube. Am going to call Mossberg tomorrow, as this one must have slipped by Quality Control. Thanks all Bernie

jimmycrackcorn said:
Itsricmo said:
Thank you for the innovative solution but my follower is aluminium and handled the heat quite well ;) lol.. Mag tube and everything is removed, impatiently awaiting the arrival of my Barrel and New Mag Tube :D

Wait.... So after all that pussy footing you decided to torch it with your follower & spring right there at the port instead easily pushing it out of the way..?? JC man.. Your too much... Lol.

All that for just a mag tube... I'm just dying to see where the conversation goes about the up & coming no brainer barrel & magtube install..

What did you get anyways Ricmo..?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

LOL :lol: :lol: I missed this so long ago! I am crying from laughing!!
Yes, it all worked out well and without a hitch! All said and done, I have a "8" 7+1 Tube and 20 barrel with bead sight. Hogue Forend and Buttstock. Project has come to an abrupt stop lately... All projects unfortunately

New Mossberg 500 Shell ejection issue

Hello. I bought a new Mossberg 500 all purpose....my first shotgun. Took it out to "break it in" today and put 50 rounds through it. My question: Is it normal for a new shotgun to have trouble ejecting a few shells ( 5-7 out of 50)? It did seem to get less frequent as I shot. I disassembled, cleaned, and oiled the gun when I got home and have yet to shoot it again, but plan to next weekend. Any thoughts, advice, or comments are appreciated. ~ Andrew

Re: New Mossberg 500 Shell ejection issue

awbagwell85 said:
Hello. I bought a new Mossberg 500 all purpose....my first shotgun. Took it out to "break it in" today and put 50 rounds through it. My question: Is it normal for a new shotgun to have trouble ejecting a few shells ( 5-7 out of 50)? It did seem to get less frequent as I shot. I disassembled, cleaned, and oiled the gun when I got home and have yet to shoot it again, but plan to next weekend. Any thoughts, advice, or comments are appreciated. ~ Andrew

Hello Andrew. Welcome to the forum from NY and congrats on your new Mossy.
Sorry to hear you are having a problem with it. Did you clean it out of the box before you shot it?
There is a problem with the cartridge stop on some of the 500's and 590's.
Seeing how you said it was getting better after putting some shells thru it I would wait till after next weekend and see if it cures the problem.
If not you can call Mossberg and they will take care of it.
Here's a link to the problem.
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=8835

Keep us posted

Andrew sorry I misunderstood your problem.
Check the ejector also.

Re: New Mossberg 500 Shell ejection issue

Thanks for the info! I'll let you know what happens this weekend. I should have mentioned that I was using cheap ammo. I looked it up (Winchester Ultimate Game and Target) and found that other people have had the same problem...not only in the Mossberg but other shotguns of different types as well. Apparently they have a cheap aluminum rim and head that expands and makes it difficult for the shell to leave the chamber. I'm going to buy something better and hope for the best. Thanks for the quick reply!

Back