Mossberg 500 Pump Action Troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Mossberg 500 Pump Action' started by DHonovich, Sep 3, 2010.

1. old mossy

old mossy Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Same with my 1988 500A, ya can't kill it.

Sorry Mexico ya can't make it right.:(
  2. mossbear

mossbear .22LR

I've let a couple other shotguns go to new homes that cost more than my 1994 500c because they couldn't compete with her in reliability. Plus, except for a small scratch on the wood stock, it looks as good as the day it was born. I love my little Mossy.
  3. Scottie

Scottie Copper BB

I got a Mossberg 500 for Christmas, took it out to go skeet shooting. After 60 rounds it stopped feeding. Looked on this site found out about the cartridge stop issue. I got contact info for Joseph at Maverick arms he sent me a new cartridge stop and action slide.

My question is after I replace this parts will this problem happen again or will it be good for now on.
  4. old mossy

Welcome. Sorry to hear you were having a problem with your new Mossy. Glad to hear they took care of it.

You should be good to go as far as the cartridge stop. Once it's replaced you'll be ok.
  5. Scottie

Scottie Copper BB

That's what I thought but just wanted to make sure. I understand if it was caused by a bad lot on those parts just want to make sure there is not a larger problem that continues to cause the problems
  6. BULLYBOY13

BULLYBOY13 .22LR

i have a Mossberg 500AG 12GA receiver that I purchased a while back and I finally got all the parts to complete it but the trigger assembly will not go in all the way. the connector hits the receiver and can not be installed "even when the receiver is striped". I took my 590 trigger assembly and tried to install it but I'm having the same problems but the trigger assembly will fit my 590 no problem. by being a older receiver did Mossberg change anything? I thought that all parts were interchangeable.
  7. Rossignol

Rossignol The Original Sheriff Staff Member Global Moderator Sponsor Forum Moderator

All I can tell you is I've witnessed the same thing where triggers will swap one way but not the other; e.g. A 500 trigger to a 590 but not a 590 to a 500.

In your case I couldn't say what the fix would be.
  8. old mossy

9. BULLYBOY13

BULLYBOY13 .22LR

I haven't put the stock on it yet and the receiver was completely stripped no nothing in except for the safety and I moved it to safe/fire as well.
    so from the link that you posted is that the locking lugs are different on the newer trigger assembly "bigger" and that's why I can not install it into the 500AG receiver and that's is why the connector hits the receiver and will not go in all the way. so can I file the locking lugs down or dremel it down to fit?
  10. RichardL

RichardL .410

Is the safety block thingy in the right direction? Not backward? If that trigger group fits into your other gun fine, that's the only possibility. The only other possibility would be that one of the group pins was slightly out and that was blocking it....but you said the group fits the other gun fine. And the 590 trigger group won't fit either. Only one possibility. Safety block thingy.
  11. old mossy

I would NOT do any sanding on the locking lugs.

Just to see what happens take out the safety completely. ????
  12. BULLYBOY13

BULLYBOY13 .22LR

it still wont do anything since the connector hits the back part of the receiver and can not go into it.
  13. old mossy

Both trigger assemblies fit your 590 with no problem,correct?

At this point I would look at the receiver opening. ?????
  14. BULLYBOY13

BULLYBOY13 .22LR

that is correct both trigger assemblies fit my 590.
    yeah that looks like where the problem is and if I can file some on the trigger assembly to make it fit or file some on the receiver to make it fit.
  15. old mossy

I would measure the receiver opening on both receivers and file some off the receiver, going nice and slow and trying the trigger assembly as you go.
  16. RichardL

RichardL .410

The "connector" you've mentioned. The safety connector? Post a pic or two before you do anything. Something isn't adding up and "adjusting" is hard to undo.
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  17. RichardL

RichardL .410

Sorry, bud, but I'm calling BS on this one. I know it's an older post but it needs a response. That shell position you show is ONLY possible with the shell lifter out of the gun. A shell can't possibly lodge in that place when the gun is properly assembled. It would have to be an inch INSIDE the trigger group for the hull lip to catch that way. Anyone with a Mossy can try that one and prove it in two seconds. The ONLY way your "problem" can happen is if you're trying to use shorty/micro shells....and in that case, the problem has nothing to do with the Mossberg.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  18. Iver Johnston

Iver Johnston .410

Trying my 500, the unfired cartridge would have to be shorter than 1.75 inches long for it to drop through the shell lifter like that.
    RichardL likes this.