• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 shtf advice

primusgod

.22LR
Hi guys just joined the forums and hope to soon be the proud owner of a 500. This being said I like many others have dreams. Mine is to have a multipurpose boom stick for the following:

- deer hunting with slugs
- taking small game
- fending off the possible "two legged varmints"

Any tips on barrels and builds would be appreciated!

Also is a rail system like a warhammer or black Aces worth the weight? I am 6'2" and 210 so I'm not sure a pound would bother me much :)

Dear God,
Welcome to Mossberg Owners. I have a 500 which I converted to magazine [box/drum] feed for 3-gun competition. None of what I did would help you out w/ your hunting setup, but I know that there will be others that will follow up on that.

When you get started make sure you drop some pix on the forum. And they don't have to be of your firearms. We love hobbies, art, travel, humor... ANYthing. More pix.

Amen

Dear God,
Welcome to Mossberg Owners. I have a 500 which I converted to magazine [box/drum] feed for 3-gun competition. None of what I did would help you out w/ your hunting setup, but I know that there will be others that will follow up on that.

When you get started make sure you drop some pix on the forum. And they don't have to be of your firearms. We love hobbies, art, travel, humor... ANYthing. More pix.

Amen
tha
Dear God,

Amen

I'm actually interested in the drum and box conversions. I've done research and while I know purists may balk I see nothing wrong with them if any ftf issues are tested and tweaked out. I would keep parts to switch back just in case though! Any tips?

I recently bought the Mossberg 500 field/deer combo. It comes with a 28" barrel with 3 choke tubes and a 24" rifled slug barrel with rifle sights. I paid $298 at Walmart not on sale. You can change the barrels in seconds. I have been very pleased with both the gun and the price I paid.

I'm actually interested in the drum and box conversions. I've done research and while I know purists may balk I see nothing wrong with them if any ftf issues are tested and tweaked out. I would keep parts to switch back just in case though! Any tips?

I bought my 500's magazine feed conversion from Knoxx about 1998 as a pre-production order. It took over a year for my kit to arrive. I had a police armorer do the assembly for me. Kept all of the original pieces in case I wanted to convert back. Got 2 10-round drum and 2 5-round box mags.

I set it up for 3-gun competition. I'd initially load it with 10+1 and carry the 2 box mags for reloads, so I had 21 rounds available. That was plenty for any of the stages we fired. I did save a bunch of time reloading. I didn't make any difference where I finished the competition because my rifle was a Garand and my pistol was a stock 1911A1 manufactured in 1945 and I shot 7-round military mags. Obviously I didn't have the fastest set, but it was the most interesting.

The manufacturing rights for this system have apparently been bought from Knoxx by Adaptive Tactical.
Their site is : http://www.adaptivetactical.com/products/venom-10rndrotary-magazine.php

Honestly, I would not suggest this setup for field work. The loaded drums weigh 3 to 4 pounds and they are too big to be carried comfortably. The box mags are much easier to stow. They make 10-round boxes also.

On a final note: Don't let the purists bother you. Find what fits your body and your application and go for it. Tinkering with configurations is a ball. Even failed experiments are interesting experiences. Be safe.

See MANUAL_puller's discussion about his setup on an 88.
Check post #11 at:
http://www.mossbergowners.com/forum...ith-the-rifled-slug-barrel.13920/#post-231250

sb-swadjstock.jpg

Last edited:
Great info so far! I'm a tinkerer and want to get into smithing and custom work so any useful/ reliable mods will be tried out. Along with plenty of training from day 1 ;) had a pack of cyotes come through while I was in my truck last night so I'm bumping up my shotgun priority. Anyone around with experience on rail systems?

If it's me, for hunting, the rail would be out of the question. A box or drum magazine would be too. For shotgunning you've really just got one shot, maybe two and their gone and out of range.

If you live in a state where you can hunt coyote from a vehicle then a rail could be ok, or a scenario where you could put a bipod on it or something. As a brush gun (at least for me) the rail would be unweildly.

What length barrel does it come with? If you're going to use it at some distance, I'd get a rifled barrel and use sabots. That wouldnt be particularly multi purpose though. If you want multi purpose in a single barrel, I'd do something from a 20 to a 24" barrel and choke tubes. With choke tubes you can go from slugs to really small birdshot with little effort. The choke tubes can also help stretch the effective range a bit and put the coyotes within reach even to around 50 yards.

If I were going to consider a rail on something multi purpose, it would be a receiver rail and use with that something like a smallish low profile red dot. I'd add a stock pack to carry the choke tubes possibly and extra ammo. The stock pack would also get your cheek up a little to better match the red dot.

Also perhaps a barrel clamp of some sort from CDM Gear to mount a light for house duty.

Also a sling if you're gonna be packing it anywhere.

And then shoot a lot.

Already looking into the 20 inch with choke tubes to go along with a 18.5 smooth bore. I hear "must test myself" that acceptable accuracy can be had with rifled slugs out of a HD type barrel.

Keeping it short and maneuverable is the goal

The rail idea is more for options with sighting. Would like to try night sights for buck shot and a situational low power optic for slugs weather it be a scope or dot sight. I like the reliability of irons just in case. Ofcourse being new to owning a shotgun I'm unsure if rifle type sights work for shot but ill find out!

Also I live in the woods in maine so things will often times be pretty close to me if I choose to shoot as far as hunting goes

For hunting, I would go with a 24 - 28" barrel with choke tubes.

As far as sights go, I had a Burris Fastfire III laying around, so I mounted it on my 500 hunting shotgun. I recently went duck hunting with it and it was amazingly fast. I could keep my focus on the bird and as soon as the red dot touched the bird, I fired. In a defensive situation, it's a natural because you WILL focus on the threat.

BONUS: The Fastfire III auto adjusts to varying ambient light levels.

For hunting, I would go with a 24 - 28" barrel with choke tubes.

As far as sights go, I had a Burris Fastfire III laying around, so I mounted it on my 500 hunting shotgun. I recently went duck hunting with it and it was amazingly fast. I could keep my focus on the bird and as soon as the red dot touched the bird, I fired. In a defensive situation, it's a natural because you WILL focus on the threat.

BONUS: The Fastfire III auto adjusts to varying ambient light levels.

That is a great bonus! Saves on battery life I assume? Any experience with peep sights as a backup? I want to find a solid option that isn't just a bead since it will double as a slug gun. A 24 inch barrel wouldn't be bad I think. More powder burn too. Any negatives of dropping to the 20" though?

Thanks for all the tips guys money is tight so I want to be as close to right as I can the first time;) training will probably change things down the road as I get comfortable but a map always helps on a journey...

I don't know if it saves battery life. I've never changed the battery in either of my Fastfire IIIs, but I keep them turned off unless I'm going to use them. If I was using one on a defensive weapon, I'd probably change them once a year just to be sure. All it takes to turn one on is a single push of a button.

If my 930 SPX I use for home defense didn't have ghost ring sights, one of my Fastfire IIIs would have a home there. As much as I like the ghost ring sights, I'd rather have the Fastfire.

A longer barrel will also give you a smoother swing which, in turn, will improve accuracy on moving game. My 500 has a 26" barrel and is very light, if that's your concern. The first time I took it duck hunting, one of the guides picked it up and thought it was a 20 gauge because it's so light.

Avoid pistol grip stocks.

Spend on ammunition and trigger time three times the money you'd assign for replacement parts/upgrades.

Buy a field/slug barrel combo.

Put a decent sling on it.

And frequently refer back to Post #4

Avoid pistol grip stocks.

Spend on ammunition and trigger time three times the money you'd assign for replacement parts/upgrades.

Buy a field/slug barrel combo.

Put a decent sling on it.

And frequently refer back to Post #4

I personally like the classic finely finished wood with a little black flair lol I'm going to go wood for the stock and forend for sure the tang safety seems meant for a traditional stock

Going to weave my own paracord sling for utility and just beacuse I can make it myself!

If only one barrel could be had though what would be the most flexible while still being moderately compact? I'm considering the 20" with accuchoke since I can hardly find any online they seem pretty popular. I won't hunt much fowl probably just legged game

Last edited:
I have two shotguns. Both are 20" guns. I had another, also 20". I can't stand a longer barrel for a brush/woods gun, it drags the ground when weaving in and out low cover and brush and while climbing. You think you've cleared something and the barrel hangs up and pulls you back, lol! That's not to say longer barrels don't have a place. Just not here.

I have "rifle" type sights on one, three dot fiber optic.

This is what I used most recently on a fox at 45 yards. Rifle type sights can definitely be accurate with shot to some distance.

1723FA9A-2976-41E4-8629-24E2366379FD.JPG 42ADCEC0-3375-467A-BF4C-67EF331EC450.JPG 871B29A8-8847-495F-A6CB-531C64551410.JPG BCF63AC4-2DCC-432A-94CC-E296BAC214A0.JPG

I have patterns posted in another thread I can link up if you want. I test anything I'm going to use to 40 yards at least but closer too to see how tight the pattern will be. Some loads like 9 pellet buckshot won't open much at 15 yards and could actually miss.

I don't use this gun for slugs and have just a tritium bead sight on the smooth bore gun without chokes for slugs and buckshot.

If money is tight, definitely spend it on ammo before gadgets. You can add all the other stuff later, it's no surrogate for training. I definitely like the idea of the Burris Fastfire, that's something I've always wanted to try.

I have two shotguns. Both are 20" guns. I had another, also 20". I can't stand a longer barrel for a brush/woods gun, it drags the ground when weaving in and out low cover and brush and while climbing. You think you've cleared something and the barrel hangs up and pulls you back, lol! That's not to say longer barrels don't have a place. Just not here.

I have "rifle" type sights on one, three dot fiber optic.

This is what I used most recently on a fox at 45 yards. Rifle type sights can definitely be accurate with shot to some distance.

View attachment 13926 View attachment 13927 View attachment 13928 View attachment 13929

I have patterns posted in another thread I can link up if you want. I test anything I'm going to use to 40 yards at least but closer too to see how tight the pattern will be. Some loads like 9 pellet buckshot won't open much at 15 yards and could actually miss.

I don't use this gun for slugs and have just a tritium bead sight on the smooth bore gun without chokes for slugs and buckshot.

If money is tight, definitely spend it on ammo before gadgets. You can add all the other stuff later, it's no surrogate for training. I definitely like the idea of the Burris Fastfire, that's something I've always wanted to try.

Well money isn't thaaaat tight and I have a good job coming in a few weeks or so. Really just planning because I like research. Those sights look beautiful though and if the 20" can be chokeless I would try slugs out of it.

You can shoot slugs through a choke. I think improved or modified is ok. I don't with the gun pictured above because it's the 835 which has the barrel over bored to the larger 10 ga dimensions. Can't shoot 12 gauge slugs in a 10 gauge barrel but it's still chambered for 12 gauge loads. Heck of a nice gun, just no slug shooting. I rarely shoot slugs and haven't used slugs on any kind of game. As it is, I can reach to almost 50 yards with shot, and beyond that I have a rifle.

Whatever you go with, spend as much time as possible with it.

You can shoot slugs through a choke. I think improved or modified is ok. I don't with the gun pictured above because it's the 835 which has the barrel over bored to the larger 10 ga dimensions. Can't shoot 12 gauge slugs in a 10 gauge barrel but it's still chambered for 12 gauge loads. Heck of a nice gun, just no slug shooting. I rarely shoot slugs and haven't used slugs on any kind of game. As it is, I can reach to almost 50 yards with shot, and beyond that I have a rifle.

Whatever you go with, spend as much time as possible with it.

Good to know! The 20" barrel sounds more and more attractive. I won't have a large caliber rifle for quite some time. In my head I only want 3-4 guns, a 500, an Ak, a pistol, and maybe then a 308. I have less than perfect eyes and shaky hands so long range might not be my cup of tea. Less guns means more individual quality time:)

I have a savage model 11 223, my eyes aren't great either, lol, the scope is on 9 for 100 yard shots! But I rest it on a back pack and use a sling too and while I've shot 3/4" MOA I'm most often shooting 1.5" MOA which I'm ok with. I do hope to have an AR again someday and maybe a pistol caliber carbine in .45 auto. That way, guns work with similar ammo.

Mossberg was recently running a sale on barrels and had vent rib 20" barrels threaded for choke tubes. Couldn't say now what they're running but my guess is about $200.

Back