• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Side Saddle/Shotshell Holder Options

Yeah, I got the AFG2 that fit the tri-rail perfectly. The ERGO is a really great forend, a little pricey but when you want gear that works and won't break under abuse... you probably wouldn't go wrong purchasing it!

I used some Larue Tactical hand stops in OD Green on my rail. They were excellent as well!

Hi guys. Flipping through the pictures I saw another AFG1 that needed modification. In the third picture you can see how I altered my AFG1 to fit the ERGO Tri-Rail forend and hand stop.
I had to sand off the corners of the ERGO hand stop because they were digging into the palm of my left hand. You can see that in the close up of the first and third pics.
Based on the advise of Lazy Eyed Sniper I kept the AFG1 instead of buying the AFG2. He told me from his experience the AFG2 bangs on your finger with every shot. So instead of spending more money, I went with what I already had. Works perfect, very comfortable.

Attachments

• AFG1 grind f downsized.JPG
    AFG1 grind f downsized.JPG
    168.5 KB · Views: 729
  • after 86 downsized.jpg
    after 86 downsized.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 727
  • after 302 downsized.jpg
    after 302 downsized.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 727
Seeing how that hand stop fits into your hand is pretty neat. I have never seen a picture of it "at work" to know how it really worked and is separate from the other brands and styles.

thanks for the couple of pics!

Haven't shot with it, though.
I'm curious as to how it'll feel on my hand after putting a few rounds through the Boom Stick.

Well if it is anything like the Larue Tactical ones, it will be awkward at first. You kind of have to condition your hand to the new grip position and pressure points. This one in particular may take a little extra long to get used to because of the aggressiveness of the stop.

dorangolv said:
Haven't shot with it, though.
I'm curious as to how it'll feel on my hand after putting a few rounds through the Boom Stick.
that's the first thing I thought . When you're really thinking about it at the range you'll probably be ok but if you shoot around corners or do some dynamic type shooting and moving to cover stuff at all I bet it bites you as soon as you have three or four more things on your mind. I have really been trying to shoot off the range and shoot from awkward positions a lot lately because if it comes time to do battle I don't think I'll just be standing or sitting there like I am at the range shooting . Its like my 12 inch LOP Hogue, as long as its one of two things on my mind I never have a problem with it. The moment I try odd positions or barrier drills I end up getting my nose kissed by my thumb

I bet it bites you as soon as you have three or four more things on your mind
I didn't think of it that way. :shock:
At the range you're stuck with the format they require. But out in the desert away from prying eyes, you can move more and hide, shoot from cover etc.,. Out here there is an area with water ruts about 10-12' deep. Lots of places to climb, slide, hide and shoot from. Right now my knee is the size of a baseball so I might just go with stand and shoot for the time being. Bursitis sucks almost as bad as Gout.
I read an article once about going room to room in your home with your HD weapon of choice and 'clearing' the house. The idea behind this was to do just what you said. To "Practice" using your weapon under the same circumstances, weapon in the same condition, in the same place where you plan to use it for "Real".
I had a chance to do this for the past couple days while the family was out of town, MAN does this 590 get heavy when fully loaded!!! 8+1 whew. Plus all the stuff I've added to it since buying it new including a Mesa tactical Sureshot Shotshell 8 shell carrier loaded with 8 on the sidesaddle. My left shoulder started to get tired from the 'raise and lower' of the muzzle.
However doing this exercise showed me that shortening the stock bought the 590 closer in to my body for the sake of balance and compactness. I also found out how hard it is to clear my stairs leading upstairs and how narrow the hallway is. I began to think I've spent all this money and I would've been better off with just a pistol grip and light attachment period! :oops:

Attachments

• Wide shot c downsized.jpg
    Wide shot c downsized.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 637
yeah, things are different when you start applying the weapon to its intended role. I had a Knoxx spec ops, reflex, sling, mounts , a few rounds on the spec ops, battery tube full of batts.......I liked it. I ran it that way for a while then I handled a stock 500 for half a day and changed my set up back to simpler, now my shotgun weighs less than 6 pounds. It handles and carries on the sling so much nicer now, I added the stuff slowly and didn't realize how heavy and unwieldy it had become over time.
Its all good though I always say "what ever works for you"......but I encourage folks to try other set ups as much as possible because you never know what you'll like

I added the stuff slowly and didn't realize how heavy and unwieldy it had become over time.

I have to say, I got caught up in the 'Tactical mod mode' and bought too much, too soon. :oops: As I type this, I am opening a brand new Raptor Grip from Shockwave Technologies.
http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/?page_id=14

I bought the Raptor Grip after walking around and 'Clearing' my house for 2 days with the ATI Talon tactical 6- position Stock. The shotgun was so heavy with all that stuff on it I though my arm was going to fall off. That, combined with the length when deployed made me question its effectiveness for CQB. There is so much weight hanging out there 20" away from my body.
I had to rethink my own motives for buying all the stuff I did. The way it is set up now it almost seems more appropriate for combat in a wide opened area like between buildings or on the street. I went beyond the bounds of "Practical Tactical" and succumbed to the "Hollywood" image of a "Mean looking Shotgun". I'm realizing too late that just because all these companies make all these products for shotguns doesn't mean I need to buy them and put them on my shotgun. :oops: :roll:
It looks cool, but it is a bit unwieldy in the tight confines of my 1,595 sq. ft. 2 story home. :?
I might try tearing it down to just a sidesaddle holder, light and Raptor grip.
We'll see.
I'll let you know.

weird how that happens....firearms are such a personal preference thing. Different strokes for different folks.....

Here's my side saddle, nothing exciting, just mounts onto my blackhawk adjustable stock
IMAG1815_zpse6ae45d0.jpg

IMAG1814_zps82687f84.jpg

Hey all,

I was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations for solid (i.e. synthetic or aluminum) buttstock shell holders. All the ones I come across are elastic. Perhaps that's all that's really available, and maybe that's for good reason. Anywho, just thought I'd ask.

Thanks!
Brad

Want one in leather?

Attachments

• robschcover1.jpg
    robschcover1.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 199
Back