• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Side Saddle/Shotshell Holder Options

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
kris7047th said:
RCS (Raven Concealment Systems) Modulaoder which comes with a second interchangeable belt loader Extra shell panels can be ordered. No screws, just a large Velcro band that adheres to the gun.

http://www.ravenconcealment.com/modular ... l-carriers

IMG_2069_1.jpg

IMG_2065.jpg

Very nice!

I run a similar set-up using ESSTAC cards on my 590. Now that you have it set up, what are your initial impressions?

I trust it.

I ended up with that Mesa side saddle. The piece weighs next to nothing and it holds 4 one ounce slugs. It is in the center of gravity so to speak so it really doesn’t affect the swing or pointing of the gun at all. It is much nicer than having the shells on the butt like I had before because it put weight on one end. Plus I can now shoot left handed much more comfortable and it carries on the sling nicer as well. I am a staunch believer in having a couple of slugs on the gun so it’s a good solution for me.

IMG_0987.jpg

kris7047th said:
LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
kris7047th said:
RCS (Raven Concealment Systems) Modulaoder which comes with a second interchangeable belt loader Extra shell panels can be ordered. No screws, just a large Velcro band that adheres to the gun.

IMG_2069_1.jpg

IMG_2065.jpg

Very nice!

I run a similar set-up using ESSTAC cards on my 590. Now that you have it set up, what are your initial impressions?

I trust it.

Another nice feature about this system, if you empty the carrier on the gun, you just rip it off and smack the loaded extra carrier in place. The belt carrier has loops/snaps but can be in a pocket for accessibility also.

That adhesive loses a lot of holding power in hot weather. We use tons of it at work, the best you can buy and for the most part it is good and strong but this summer I had some adhesive give in the hot weather and they aren’t holding much weight, small inverter, clip board, ect. I have had weapons left in trucks all day and be almost too hot to hold. I just imagine tearing the card off and the entire thing coming off because the adhesive got soft in August. I haven’t heard of it yet but it’s had to have happened, I have had too much industrial Velcro give out on me in the summer.......or do they not depend soley on adhesive?

From what I can tell, a lot of these Velcro systems depend solely on adhesive so they can fit on as many shotguns as possible with as little work as possible. The only one that looks like it doesn't rely on adhesive only is the Vang Comp DSAC which has screws to attach a plate with the Velcro on it to the receiver. I don't know if the screws cover the Velcro at all, but when I was researching side saddles, it was the only one I could find that looked like it had more than just adhesive holding it.

oli700 said:
That adhesive loses a lot of holding power in hot weather. We use tons of it at work, the best you can buy and for the most part it is good and strong but this summer I had some adhesive give in the hot weather and they aren’t holding much weight, small inverter, clip board, ect. I have had weapons left in trucks all day and be almost too hot to hold. I just imagine tearing the card off and the entire thing coming off because the adhesive got soft in August. I haven’t heard of it yet but it’s had to have happened, I have had too much industrial Velcro give out on me in the summer.......or do they not depend soley on adhesive?
These have been tested and used a lot, even in Arizona in classes. Anyways, I live in Michigan the chance of the adhesive giving way due to heat is extremely REMOTE. Not like you are going to be in the dead of heat for hours on end. We are talking self defense of the home .. not out in a desert.
And should it show signs of wear, coming off, you should notice it .. then replace. But the plastic is more likely to unexpectedly to crack in pieces than the adhesive becoming an issue.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj5-o3rLbZY[/youtube]

It all just depends on your situation.

These most likely wouldn't work for oli in his line of work, but not too many products would. He gives a new meaning to "hard use"... :D

kris7047th said:
Anyways, I live in Michigan the chance of the adhesive giving way due to heat is extremely REMOTE. Not like you are going to be in the dead of heat for hours on end. We are talking self defense of the home .. not out in a desert.

I see, I was talking more general use. I don’t have dedicated HD guns, just ones I expect to sorta do everything. Any of mine can just as easily sit by the nightstand for a year or sit in a vehicle all summer so they got to work in all conditions no matter how REMOTE the possibilities are......thanks for the feedback , I like the set up idea in general. The only thing I don’t see so much if you are talking home defense is the need for tear off cards and such.....that’s a fire fight lol......nice set up for a fire fight though.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:

These most likely wouldn't work for oli in his line of work, but not too many products would. He gives a new meaning to "hard use"... :D

Lol, this we got some lap tops that contain topo maps of the entire area. Fairly light weight and I decided to use Velcro strips to hole it down. Not even suspending the weight. It was good in june and July but in August we got a spell of 100+ days and it slid off the center console onto the floor of the truck while on some bad washed out roads. That goo was all over my gear and papers,maps. I didn’t have time to clean it up so it collected dust for the rest of the night and hardened back up on all my stuff lol, pissed me off all summer it would heat up and get gooy and I would stick my arm in it or something.

IMG_1037.jpg

And its only 76 today but once it melted the first time it turned to sh!#

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:

I don't know anybody rougher on guns and accessories than Steve Fisher who now runs Magpul. He uses these and promotes them. Steve also owns MDFI and they are used by almost all of the students in the SG classes. Steve deliberately pushes guns and accessories to fail to know the reliability. He has these on his shotguns for personal use and his classes with Magpul.

Just don't want to leave the impression that this system is sub par for *operators* because that is what it was originally designed for but good for those who are not .. like me.

This is Keith Denman an instructor for MDFI, also a corrections officer at Jackson Prison, Mi

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1IX1iQJicw[/youtube]

anoer vid with staff and students

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f0-gJTZw08&feature=player_embedded#![/youtube]

oli700 said:
kris7047th said:
Anyways, I live in Michigan the chance of the adhesive giving way due to heat is extremely REMOTE. Not like you are going to be in the dead of heat for hours on end. We are talking self defense of the home .. not out in a desert.

I see, I was talking more general use. I don’t have dedicated HD guns, just ones I expect to sorta do everything. Any of mine can just as easily sit by the nightstand for a year or sit in a vehicle all summer so they got to work in all conditions no matter how REMOTE the possibilities are......thanks for the feedback , I like the set up idea in general. The only thing I don’t see so much if you are talking home defense is the need for tear off cards and such.....that’s a fire fight lol......nice set up for a fire fight though.
Well .. I live in a small city smack dab between Detroit and Toledo. We have had not such good characters move here from both cities, and no one feels safe from some of these kids that are in gangs. Should things go south due to collapsing economy .. or whatever. I am more concerned facing a gang than just one BG. That is happening in Detroit which is only 1/2 hr away from me. Just a year ago, a house right behind me was invaded by four young thugs looking for drugs (the family with two children was a medical Marijuana grower) at gunpoint(s) was robbed. Entire family was forced to lie prone face down on the floor. They were caught and convicted. Now I find out there is a grower across the street from me :evil: very good possibility they could get raided too. What if the wrong house gets hit (like mine) ??

Oh .. I forgot to mention due to our lousy economy nearly HALF of the sheriffs dept was pink slipped nearly two years ago, leaving only ONE unit south of the Raisin River and ONE north of it for our entire county. The same has happened to our police dept and Mich State Police. Put a call in and response is just too long.

kris7047th said:
Just don't want to leave the impression that this system is sub par for *operators* because that is what it was originally designed for but good for those who are not .. like me.

:lol: I'm no operator , I'm just a nobody with a hot vehicle who has had bad luck with the best of what Velcro has to offer in hot conditions. The billet aluminum Mesa unit suits my needs perfectly and the surgical tubing isn’t affected by climate as far as retention like plastic side saddles .

kris7047th said:
This is Keith Denman an instructor for MDFI, also a corrections officer at Jackson Prison, Mi

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1IX1iQJicw[/youtube]

anoer vid with staff and students

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f0-gJTZw08&feature=player_embedded#![/youtube]

Chewie19BBY-CVD.jpg

This is Chewbacca……he is a Wookie.

What’s your point?, not one of those dudes pulled their weapon out of a 125 degree car and pulled that card off multiple times . Your video showed a couple guys shooting a good amount of shells in a fast manner. Nice show for a controlled environment, not one of them pulled a card by the way….in fact they really didn’t do anything to write home about.

Not everybody lives in YOUR conditions. And when you use laptops as an example .. that what I call comparing apples and oranges. Laptops weigh quite a bit and I agree that set up lacked foresight. But a panel of shotgun shells weighs very little and not likely to side off the gun .. it's the barrel that gets hot not the receiver.

ps .. I don't keep my guns locked in a car .. so no issues there either.

Key points made gentlemen,

While it's been shown that the adhesive on velcro can melt under prolonged exposure to extreme heat, it is understood that not everyone will be in a position to have their firearms subjected to these conditions. This further emphasizes the point that firearm accessories should be tailored to a shooters individual needs. If you've found something that works for you, use it and enjoy it. There's no need to justify your choice to anyone else...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Key points made gentlemen,

While it's been shown that the adhesive on velcro can melt under prolonged exposure to extreme heat, it is understood that not everyone will be in a position to have their firearms subjected to these conditions. This further emphasizes the point that firearm accessories should be tailored to a shooters individual needs. If you've found something that works for you, use it and enjoy it. There's no need to justify your choice to anyone else...
Thank You (BTW .. I am a lady) Gotta say that I do not appreciate the condescending treatment and mocking that I received. Maybe this isn't the forum for me. I only meant to post a product that is currently being widely used among top tier trainers and they are recommending students of all ages to use them also.

kris7047th said:
(BTW .. I am a lady)

Oops, my bad. :oops:

I'm sure there are plenty of folks here that will benefit from your experience with the RCS unit. Thanks for posting...

Not sure where this took a bad turn but whatever. Sorry I questioned the adhesive reliability and yes your right I am stupid for trying to secure my stuff with Velcro….I was trying to save space. Your set up is superior by far and endorsed by some folks on YouTube demonstrating its superiority, thanks for sharing!

Back