• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 sight options

taylorjr

Copper BB
Hey all, new member here.

I've got a Mossberg 500 with an 18.5" barrel with the breacher lug on the end. Exactly like this:

50145.jpg

I'm looking for a rail system to put on, similar to this to get good sight distance:

black-aces-tactical-mossberg-500-590-590a1-quad-rail-800x600.jpg

The one above won't work because the forward section is too big (estimated around 5-6") compared to the space between the forend and the taper of the breacher lug (about 4")

Does anybody have any suggestions? I like the look of the rail system, but my main objective is to have sights better than what my 18.5" barrel has on it right now,which is a mossberg 5-40 thread post like below. I hate just having 1 post, which is why I'd like to go with something like ghost ring sights. I'd like the sight distance to be as far apart as possible.

l_579000080_2.jpg

My shotgun will be primarily set up for HD, I'd like low profile sights similar to ghost ring sights... even something like Magpul's MBUS sights are too tall for my tastes. I'm open to a low profile rail and reflex sight combo as well.

I've looked into Aimtech's Warhammer as well. That seems like an okay option, but i don't know if it's adjustable enough to fit with a breacher barrel.

Any help is really appreciated.

Welcome aboard!

The easiest way to set up ghost rings on your 500 is to swap out to an 18.5" 500 SPX barrel and add a receiver rail with rear ghost ring. Run a web search for model #51523 for reference. Setting up a red dot would be much simpler though. I run a SightMark Mini Shot on my 590 and it's been great...

Sightmark Mini Shot Holographic Reflex Sight Review

taylorjr said:
I'd like low profile sights similar to ghost ring sights... even something like Magpul's MBUS sights are too tall for my tastes. I'm open to a low profile rail and reflex sight combo as well.

Have you shot with ghost ring sights? they aren’t that low profile and a reflex is a little worse....unfortunately what you have will be the lowest profile sight you can put on it.
What is it about a single bead you don’t like ?

It’s really not a single sight, on a shotgun the grooved flat on top of the receiver is the rear sight. How you sight down it and orient the front bead to the receiver is the key to it. Once you learn it , it is quite a bit quicker than lining up ghost ring sights.
So really the low profile you want and HD aspect you are looking for is right under your nose.

A reflex is cool on a shotgun , I really thought mine was as fast as the bead, but the sight plus the base, plus the rail equals high not the low profile you require.
The shotgun stock is designed to allow the user to sight down the receiver, not at all meant for optics, reflex sights and really not even ghost rings although some GR designs are lower than others.
So to get a proper cheek weld a cheek riser or stock change is needed.
It is the same reason some people can’t use the bead once they change to an AR style collapsible stock, they effectively removed the inherent slope of the shotgun stock known as the "comb" and cant sight down the receiver....some people don’t mind either way and more power to them but they don’t have a proper cheek weld……just something to keep in mind as you search for what your looking for.
I have tried all the above configurations and this is my direct personal experiences.

oli700 said:
taylorjr said:
I'd like low profile sights similar to ghost ring sights... even something like Magpul's MBUS sights are too tall for my tastes. I'm open to a low profile rail and reflex sight combo as well.

Have you shot with ghost ring sights? they aren’t that low profile and a reflex is a little worse....unfortunately what you have will be the lowest profile sight you can put on it.
What is it about a single bead you don’t like ?

It’s really not a single sight, on a shotgun the grooved flat on top of the receiver is the rear sight. How you sight down it and orient the front bead to the receiver is the key to it. Once you learn it , it is quite a bit quicker than lining up ghost ring sights.
So really the low profile you want and HD aspect you are looking for is right under your nose.

A reflex is cool on a shotgun , I really thought mine was as fast as the bead, but the sight plus the base, plus the rail equals high not the low profile you require.
The shotgun stock is designed to allow the user to sight down the receiver, not at all meant for optics, reflex sights and really not even ghost rings although some GR designs are lower than others.
So to get a proper cheek weld a cheek riser or stock change is needed.
It is the same reason some people can’t use the bead once they change to an AR style collapsible stock, they effectively removed the inherent slope of the shotgun stock known as the "comb" and cant sight down the receiver....some people don’t mind either way and more power to them but they don’t have a proper cheek weld……just something to keep in mind as you search for what your looking for.
I have tried all the above configurations and this is my direct personal experiences.

It's not necessarily the single bead I don't like - I love the bead look and function on my 28" field barrel. The problem that I have with this barrel is that the post sits down right in front of the taper of the breacher lug, and I for some reason hate it. I don't like the way it's situated, I don't like the fact that I almost have to look twice to put the dot on target... Its just not how I would envision "optimal".

The reflex option that sniper mentioned above is actually just about perfect IMO. I've wanted a red dot/reflex on my shotgun for a while, and I really like the look of those Burris FastFire copies/styling.

I never intend to change to a pistol grip shotgun. I don't like that look on a 500 and honestly, it's more cumbersome to me in most aspects.

I think I'll try the SightMark plus a detachable cheek riser. That'll probably be my best bet.

oli700 said:
...So really the low profile you want and HD aspect you are looking for is right under your nose...

I have had many different sight styles on my Mossberg 500. Everything from a full length rail with Magpul BUIS too a scope and/or Red Dot Reflex. Of all the sight styles I have tried, one stayed, tried and true... the Brass Bead at the end of the barrel! Nothing, in my honest opinion, is going to be more reliable, accurate and speedy, than the bead sight with proper practice and training!

Take it for what it is worth,
Rick

Like I said, I enjoy the bead on my 28" barrel. I'm not planning on messing with my field barrel. I just want a better option for my short barrel.

I went with a UTG rail and the SightMark reflex. I'll add a cheek riser later if I'm not getting the proper cheek weld.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll stick around for a while. Best place I've found for advice on shotguns.

Has anyone ever tried to do a "ghetto" rifle sights kinda thing with an accessory rail. After installing my rail i was looking at the sight picture with it on. ANd made me wonder if anyone has ever installed a raised front bead/sight and possibly painted the very back of the rail white or another color to make it easier to pick up. Just a thought i had, if i had it, more than likely someone else has done it already. lol Plus its kind of hard to see the bead with the rail on, so either way i think i will be installing a different front sight for when im not using the green dot.

IMG_4728.jpg

Well I only have a "short" barrel :) I shot slugs accurately too 100yds and range the gong at 150yds a few times if I but my mind to actually trying hard :p The bead sight is factory regulated to be "dead nuts" at 100yds. So technically if you do your part and are shooting slugs you should put the slug on the gong every time. I am going to try 200yds with my new 20" barrel next trip to the range!

Never the less, congratz on your purchase! Post up some pictures and make a little review of the Red Dot!

Yeah, practice does make perfect, but having rifled or reddot sights makes making longer range shots easier and quicker. But either way i need to put a bigger/taller bead since the rail kind of prevents me from seeing the bead as quickly.
I actually got some slugs and buckshot in from targetsportsusa today, if my bro comes home sunday from out of town, we will be going to the range. IF not, then next weekend for sure. I plan to really see how the compstock works, and see how marksight holds up to recoil. Gonna be shooting alot of slugs with friends. Also plan on doing a pattern test with a few 00 loads to decide which will be my hd load. I will be sure to post up a review on my thread on everything.

taylorjr said:
Like I said, I enjoy the bead on my 28" barrel. I'm not planning on messing with my field barrel. I just want a better option for my short barrel.

I went with a UTG rail and the SightMark reflex. I'll add a cheek riser later if I'm not getting the proper cheek weld.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll stick around for a while. Best place I've found for advice on shotguns.

it really is a fun set up, loved mine....just couldnt make myself trust it 100% on my battle gun, the battery thing really bothered me lol

ZombieHunterD said:
Has anyone ever tried to do a "ghetto" rifle sights kinda thing with an accessory rail. After installing my rail i was looking at the sight picture with it on. ANd made me wonder if anyone has ever installed a raised front bead/sight and possibly painted the very back of the rail white or another color to make it easier to pick up. Just a thought i had, if i had it, more than likely someone else has done it already. lol Plus its kind of hard to see the bead with the rail on, so either way i think i will be installing a different front sight for when im not using the green dot.

IMG_4728.jpg

I'm glad you asked this question, I wish someone would answer it. I recently put on a rail on my Mariner, I ordered it in the marincote finish from Mossberg. I got it for a red dot site I was using but took off because I would rather not depend on a red dot for HD. I was wondering how it would be using the rail itself, I haven't gotten a chance to try it yet. Also would a tritium big dot be big enough to see with the rail installed? The only reason I still have it installed on a HD gun is that I also have a TRS-4 light/laser installed in needed. I guess it would just be a matter of adjusting your aim point to the point of impact, but would appreciate some hands on accounts.

Back