• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 steel safety question

Reaper

Do I need to use the sheet metal piece that goes under the Mossberg factory plastic safety with the Mossberg steel replacement safety?

Is it a good idea to replace the plastic safety with a steel one, or should I leave well enough alone until it breaks?

I didn't wait for the plastic one to break and changed it out for a metal enhanced one.

Mainly because of the more positive feel.

p_080000539_1.jpg

Is it a good idea to replace the plastic safety with a steel one, or should I leave well enough alone until it breaks?

It's more a preference than a need. A number of guys on here have decades old 500s with original plastic safety. I my self have a 500 that's is more than 10 years old with a few thousand rounds through it with zero safety issues.

It's not likely to break, but should one desire to upgrade, there are a lot of really cool choices out there.

my 590 was built in '99, and as far as i know it's the original plastic safety, and my 500 is so new it hasn't had a round fired out of it yet. i like the idea of the taller piece.

The hardest part was getting the trigger assembly back in....

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

The hardest part was getting the trigger assembly back in....

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

There was no reason to take it out. In fact, you don't need to disassemble anything else to replace the safety.

1. Verify the shotgun is unloaded, including the chamber.

2. Cock the shotgun and do NOT pull the trigger.

3. Remove the old screw (some are hard, others are easy), safety button, detent plate, & detent ball. Take care not to lose the ball or the spring under it.

4. Use a dab of grease to hold the ball in position on top of the spring.

5. Put the plate in place, making sure the center hole lines up with the screw hole.

6. Put the new safety in place and tighten the screw.

7. Verify proper function.

It took longer to type that that it did to replace the one on my 500.

Note, If your old screw is hard to get out, you can grab the plastic safety with a pair of pliers and break it. It will break right at the screw hole, then you can remove the screw with pliers, if necessary.

Back