• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Super bantam Barrel split. HELP

Daveg523

Copper BB
So I bought my son a Mossberg 500 Super Bantam with a 22" turkey barrel on it last week and changed out the X-full choke with an Improved Cylinder choke and tried to sight it in with rifled slugs and after 3 shots, the end of the barrel split about an inch. Does anyone have any ideas as to why that would happen. I can't find anything stating that barrel can't shoot slugs as long as the choke is an I/C at a minimum. Lucky we saw the split and no one got hurt.

That's a bummer. Big time. All I can tell you is that normal thinking and any research I could find (not official) says there is no reason why you would not have been able to shoot slugs with the IC Choke. But when you say "Rifled Slugs", I'm not sure exactly which brand of ammo or type you are referring to. Sabot rounds are meant for rifled barrels but are usually copper jacketed and have a plastic carrier that stays with the shell until after it has completely exited the barrel. Some rifled slugs say for smooth bore only (which "could" be interpreted as a cylinder bore) like the Federal Power-Shok. And Mossberg says they sell a slug barrel as well as Field and Multi Barrel combos which may mean that they never intended the Turkey Barrel to shoot slugs. Or you could have actually got some bad ammo? Or maybe the choke was defective/wrong.

Too many possibilities to think about here for that kind of a failure. Send it home to OFM and let them deal with it. Good Luck.

Paul

First of all, I hope no one was harmed in this!!

AND!! I have a 18.5", permanent IC Choked barrel, I have been shooting slugs through it since I first brought it home. There is no reason it should have done that. By "rifled slugs" i believe you are speaking of "foster" style slugs such as Remmy Sluggers, Brenneke KO or Federal Tru-ball.

Either way, regardless of slug brand, so long being they were foster slugs, you should have had no problem shooting them from MY experience with an IC Choke :p

I would begin the endless fight to get a hold of mossberg and have a replacement barrel sent to you.

I am sorry to hear that you had an issue and I hope that everyone is okay. Let us know what Mossberg says and if you have any trouble let us know.

Sounds like a defect to me and I would definitely contact Mossberg. Did the tube split as well or just the barrel? I would be curious to see pics of this if that possible (just to satisfy my personal curiosity)

You should be able to shoot a slug through a full choke barrel without this happeneing (yes I've actually done it) although I would not recommend it. Even sabots should not cause this. The ribs on the rifled slug are designed to crush in case people use too restrictive of a choke.

I've put many slugs through my 500c (20G) turkey barrel with no ill effects and I have put several hundred rounds through an 870 turkey barrel (12G) with no problems.

Normally if there is a restriction on a barrel it will be stamped on the outside. The only restrictions I'm aware of on modern barrels have to do with shell length (i.e. 2 3/4", 3" or 3 1/2") and whether or not they are compatable with steel/hevi shot. The latter will not cause a split but just an eventual wearing out of the choke due to the shot material being slightly harder than the metal in the barrel/tube.

Back