• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 trigger issue after firing multiple rounds

Joe Sepeczi

Copper BB
As I was siting in my Mossberg 500 last week in prep for upcoming deer season in Illinois, after firing 5 rounds, the trigger would no longer actuate when a round was chambered. If I ejected the round, I could dry fire but as soon as I reloaded, the trigger wouldn't depress enough in order to fire (almost as if the safety was on). I came home and cleaned my shotgun (I always clean after shooting), and went back out to the range later that day. It fired fine for about 4 rounds and then started exhibiting the same behavior. I wanted to get it into a gun smith but they are all booked out this time of year and I'm heading out on Thursday this week.
Any thoughts on what my issue might be. Is it a tolerance issue that shows up after the gun heats up from firing a few rounds?

That is not only abnormal but highly unusual. I can shoot a 500 for a thousand rounds without cleaning.

Damn, right before hunting season.... suxxxx.

Completely unloaded and empty does your shotgun drop the hammer every time you dry fire it?

If you can dry fire on an empty chamber, then the bolt is completely in battery (forward and locked).

If it won't click on a loaded round then I have to suspect that ammunition is swelled or something and your bolt is not in lock-up.

That is not only abnormal but highly unusual. I can shoot a 500 for a thousand rounds without cleaning.

Damn, right before hunting season.... suxxxx.

Completely unloaded and empty does your shotgun drop the hammer every time you dry fire it?

If you can dry fire on an empty chamber, then the bolt is completely in battery (forward and locked).

If it won't click on a loaded round then I have to suspect that ammunition is swelled or something and your bolt is not in lock-up.

Yes, it drops the hammer on dry fire every time. It sounds to me like a tolerence issue on the ammo brought on when the gun heats up after shooting multiple rounds. The ammo is the same ammo I always use (3 inch copper solids from Remington). I'm going to cross my fingers and hopefully I'm one shot - One deer this year. Then get it into the gunsmith. I'll report how things worked out. Thanks for replying as I wanted to know if others experienced this.

Easy enough to find out if it's the ammo. Pick up a box of cheap bird shot(2 3/4") and see what happens running it through the gun.

Welcome to the forum from Florida.

Back