• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 unlocks and opens after firing, normal?

I've done my web search and can't find a definite answer to my question/concern. I bought this used 500 a month or so ago and when I took it to the range to test fire it I noticed that after each shot the action was opened from 1/2" to about 2" without my having worked the slide. I have owned and fired several pump action rifles and shotguns and never noticed this before. The shotguns were 870's and the rifles mostly .22's, this is the first time shooting a Mossberg 500. If this is normal, fine. If it is a problem I would like to know how to address it. I love the gun and it's features, just need to know if it needs some TLC.

The slide unlocks after the hammer falls. No need to push the release to work the action. That is normal.

It is also normal that the force of the shot going off will push the slide/bolt/hanguard rearward some, especially if you're not really holding onto it.

A stevens model 79C for example, will not unlock upon firing, making it necessary to push the release to work the action.

The Rem 870 and Winchester 1300 do both unlock upon firing without needing to push the release.

Back