• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 vs AR for SHTF!

Mack500

.22LR
I'm a New Jersey resident living under very limiting unconstitutional gun laws. As law currently stands, magazine capacity for pistols and rifles is limited to 15 rnds, soon to be 10. Semi auto shotguns are limited to 6. However there are no restrictions on pump action shotguns other than barrel length of 18 inches. So my question is - In a SHTF scenario, would you rather have an AR with 10 round magazines of 5.56 or a Mossberg 500 with 8 round capacity buck and slug, maybe a bandolier and a backpack with another 1-200 rounds or so.

Personally I like the shotty for defense purposes because of the limitation on magazine size. Can be reloaded in between shots. The AR with a larger magazine would really be clutch though. Can you own 25rd mags without using them? If SHTF the last thing I'm worried about is gun laws.

For SHTF.. The AR. I can pack more 5.56X45 than I can 12 gauge. Strictly from a weight perspective.

Personally I like the shotty for defense purposes because of the limitation on magazine size. Can be reloaded in between shots. The AR with a larger magazine would really be clutch though. Can you own 25rd mags without using them? If SHTF the last thing I'm worried about is gun laws.

I agree, if SHTF, to hell with the laws. However nj laws are strict when it comes to getting caught with illegal mags. It's mandatory jail time. I have friends that have large capacity magazines they got at gun shows in PA. I'm just not willing to pay the consequences of breaking those laws so I don't break them. I'm limited to what I can legally buy and own for defense. I use my mossbergs 12's all the time for fun shooting trap and sporting clays. I was considering getting an AR, but with magazine restrictions I've began to wonder if there's really a point to having one. 10 rounds of 5.56 at a time or 8 rounds of the hammer of Thor.

Maybe I'm wrong cause I don't own an AR and have actually never shot one but if your in an us or them situation and you need to stop the threat is one round of 5.56 going to do it? At say <50yrds one round of 00 buck aimed well is likely going to end the threat. One round from the AR is gonna do some serious damage but is it threat stopping or do you need to use multiple rounds? Obviously shot placement has an awful lot to do with it.

Limiting my pick to 1, I think I would pick the AR. They have different pros/cons but compliment each other well so if you are preparing for SHTF, have both on hand.

Mack500...go west young man. PA doesn't have any of those NJ restrictions.

just for what its worth. and this is my personal expierence only. when i had a reflex sight on my 500, dead on with 00 buck at 15 yards, was almost dead on with a slug at 200. i could smack a full size steel silhouette at 200 repeatedly. then swich to 00 and blow holes through paper silhouettes center mass at close range.

FWIW...I'll take the 12ga. With our crappy laws up here AR mags are pinned at 5, provided you don't have a cache of illegal mags. I can get 7-8 out of my 870 with a mag tube extension. Not being an AR owner probably makes me more than a little biased though....jus' sayin'.;)

I understand your situation, but as others have said, if push comes to shove: "Laws? We don't need no steenking laws. Meet my leetle fren."

In other parts of the country, like where I am, it's shotty, AR, revolver, pistol, and whatever else I can lay my hands on. My wife has a sign over the kitchen door that pertains: "Too much of a good thing is never enough". :)

Very interesting question. One that I don't really have the answer to because there are just so many variables.

But strictly speaking from the viewpoint of not breaking any laws, my best advice... don't.

You are more likely to be busted than legitimately need it for SHTF.

Though, I learned long ago to never say never.

Anyway, can you own an SKS?

In original factory configuration, are 10 round internal mags that can be loaded relatively quickly with stripper clips, and are not classified as assualt weapons (because they aren't), but some politicians are ignorant of laws and standards, even of the ones they made up themselves and I am not up to date on all of the state/local laws anyway, so it's just a quick thought and suggestion.

If 8 rounds are all that you'll be allowed to use, one firearm choice that I think would be hard to pass up would be a good old M1 Garand and bandolier or ten of clips.

As for shotgun versus AR, that would be tough.

I guess it would depend on the speed you plan to shoot, and the distance.

Fast and/or far, I would nod toward the AR. Even with limited capacity.

Just buy a lot of mags.

Up close and and unmistakable firepower, albeit slower recovery and followup shots (if necessary), I'd nod toward the shotgun.

Though carrying around a hundred or two shotgun shells would even slow superman down if you're trying to move in a hurry.

Though carrying around a hundred or two shotgun shells would even slow superman down if you're trying to move in a hurry.

I don't know about that john. A hundred slugs weigh approximately 9 lbs. even with minimal training you could lug a couple hundred in a bag or better yet, spread about your body.

Furthermore, the weight if an ar15 is up to 8.5 lbs without being tricked out. A mossberg 500 goes up to 7.5 without being tricked out.

Plus, have you ever slung a ar15 on your back and taken it out for awhile? It's rather uncomfortable. The 500 is so much easier. And anyone who says they will be at the low ready at all times is fooling themselves.

20+ pounds of weight to carry around (ammo+ gun+ don't forget about other essentials) will be 200 tons at the end of the day. Especially if you're doing maneuvers and moving in and out and over and under and around stuff.

Couple that with possibly having to do it in a caustic atmosphere or hazardous environment and maybe while under fire, possible mask/protective gear, etc., that would be rough on anyone.

Very interesting question. One that I don't really have the answer to because there are just so many variables.

But strictly speaking from the viewpoint of not breaking any laws, my best advice... don't.

You are more likely to be busted than legitimately need it for SHTF.

Though, I learned long ago to never say never.

Anyway, can you own an SKS?

In original factory configuration, are 10 round internal mags that can be loaded relatively quickly with stripper clips, and are not classified as assualt weapons (because they aren't), but some politicians are ignorant of laws and standards, even of the ones they made up themselves and I am not up to date on all of the state/local laws anyway, so it's just a quick thought and suggestion.

If 8 rounds are all that you'll be allowed to use, one firearm choice that I think would be hard to pass up would be a good old M1 Garand and bandolier or ten of clips.
Sorry, don't want to hijack the thread.

Yup, SKS are legal here and is a firearm I've seriously considered purchasing numerous times. I almost purchased one last year actually. Still pretty cheap here too. You can get an SKS of some variety, usually with a ton of surplus ammo for 3-500 bucks Cdn. It's a great gun to just sit in the safe for that 'just in case' situation or some relatively cheap plinking.

From a realistic stand point, if I had to bug out now...it would be #1. 870 12 ga & #2. 9mm Jericho. I would leave my lovely scoped Rem 700 behind...but it would hurt...a lot.

Gotta agree with Gunny on grabbing whatever I could get my hands on though...that's real.

I'm a New Jersey resident living under very limiting unconstitutional gun laws. As law currently stands, magazine capacity for pistols and rifles is limited to 15 rnds, soon to be 10. Semi auto shotguns are limited to 6. However there are no restrictions on pump action shotguns other than barrel length of 18 inches. So my question is - In a SHTF scenario, would you rather have an AR with 10 round magazines of 5.56 or a Mossberg 500 with 8 round capacity buck and slug, maybe a bandolier and a backpack with another 1-200 rounds or so.

How much would a backpack weigh with 1200 rounds loaded into it?

Sorry, don't want to hijack the thread.

Yup, SKS are legal here and is a firearm I've seriously considered purchasing numerous times. I almost purchased one last year actually. Still pretty cheap here too. You can get an SKS of some variety, usually with a ton of surplus ammo for 3-500 bucks Cdn. It's a great gun to just sit in the safe for that 'just in case' situation or some relatively cheap plinking.

From a realistic stand point, if I had to bug out now...it would be #1. 870 12 ga & #2. 9mm Jericho. I would leave my lovely scoped Rem 700 behind...but it would hurt...a lot.

Gotta agree with Gunny on grabbing whatever I could get my hands on though...that's real.

It would so hurt to leave behind a Rem 700.

What allowances does Jersey make for firearm competition?! Those laws will kill 3 Gun competition and more across the state. I'm guessing the politicos have no idea of the extent ofinternationally sanctioned firearm sports. Iirc NY has competition allowances but if you can't even own the equipment?!? Sheesh.

Back