• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 vs AR for SHTF!

lol I'm plowing through ammo don't know what you're talking about

Playa's gotta play

Most people don't run their guns hard to begin with.

You're right, in a peaceful, laid back society. But that can change in a heartbeat, and the OP was talking about a SHTF scenario. So I would expect, given that, that people would be running their guns, and themselves, pretty hard when the need arises. So I tend to plan for the worst case, not the best case. :)

it does pay to do homework. As you do it you realize you cant have your cake and eat it to. You realize you give up something in one area to gain something some where else. for instance AK vs AR, they take two opposite philosophies on staying reliable. An AK can digest a ton of crap and mostly stay running when most rifles wouldn't due to open spaces and loose tolerance, an AR is designed to keep the crap out if utilized in that way and easily brought back into service if it stops. There are lots of little video tests showing that. I think both rifles get bum raps on issues that are exploited as more than they really are.
Like you always here " in Vietnam w threw away AR's and picked up AK;s when we could"......I hire and work with a lot of Middle East vets and they never even heard of solders doing that in their experiences.......wouldn't it be cool if there was a perfect weapon.

You're right, in a peaceful, laid back society. But that can change in a heartbeat, and the OP was talking about a SHTF scenario. So I would expect, given that, that people would be running their guns, and themselves, pretty hard when the need arises. So I tend to plan for the worst case, not the best case. :)
My point is being missed. Just because you own a gun doesn't mean you know how to run it hard. Most of my friends own firearms but if the SHTF and their gun had a minor malfunction they would be a deer in headlights.

Running it hard and in realistic as possible conditions prior to the SHTF would put you in better position than having to try and learn how to run your gun in a stressful environment on the spur of the moment.

malfunction clearing, reloads, team commands during engagement, weapon transitions (long gun to hand gun), shooting from cover/concealment, weapons retention, etc.

My point is being missed. Just because you own a gun doesn't mean you know how to run it hard. Most of my friends own firearms but if the SHTF and their gun had a minor malfunction they would be a deer in headlights.

Running it hard and in realistic as possible conditions prior to the SHTF would put you in better position than having to try and learn how to run your gun in a stressful environment on the spur of the moment.

malfunction clearing, reloads, team commands during engagement, weapon transitions (long gun to hand gun), shooting from cover/concealment, weapons retention, etc.

Ah, ok. Sorry 'bout that. Absolutely agree. :)

they call this wisdom

While you guys fight it out I'll be in my bunker playing Atari and drinking a cold one. I'll pop up now and again to loot the bodies. LOL

I had to break the tension in here.... Carry On....

aw man, I hope there is no tension.
Good points from everyone, its all good.
We are merely riding on the coat tails of militaries that have done far more to test and torture these things than we probably ever will. Every one, every government, every person who invents a firearm has their reasons and opinions on what the choose to own, arm their military with and design.....there are many more we haven't even acknowledged.....FAL is the right arm of the free world, M14's...on and on, one thing for sure is no military arms its solders with shotguns as a primary long arm but rather a specialized tool ......

I want a 7.62x39 but I've wanted it in a VZ58 forever now. Prices have been good to but I just keep putting the money in reloading ammo and a couple over priced AR parts lol, and the VZ's I have been seeing are Century and all I read is how Century stuff sucks basically but I have never shot a century anything

What part of NJ are you in? In a true SHTF scenario, I'd have 3x guns on me: pistol on my hip, AR slung on my back and shotgun in my hands. I currently have 7 bird shot shells loaded in the mag, 5x slugs on the side saddle and 5x 00 buck on the stock saddle. That should give me the ability to choose one of the 3 variation of ammo depending on the type/distance of the threat within the compounds of my home. If I'm going to be running around outside my home trying to leave or go to a store, etc. I'd choose the AR with my 15 round mags but I'd also bring my chest rig with 4x additional mags.

Why does everyone assume they will even have access to a gun much less their choice in a SHTF scenario?

Most likely for me I'll be at work 60 miles from home where I'm not even alowed to carry. I know the obvious answers but its not always possible.

Just adding another thought to the discusion....

Sent from my Barnett Raptor using alien technology

What part of NJ are you in? In a true SHTF scenario, I'd have 3x guns on me: pistol on my hip, AR slung on my back and shotgun in my hands. I currently have 7 bird shot shells loaded in the mag, 5x slugs on the side saddle and 5x 00 buck on the stock saddle. That should give me the ability to choose one of the 3 variation of ammo depending on the type/distance of the threat within the compounds of my home. If I'm going to be running around outside my home trying to leave or go to a store, etc. I'd choose the AR with my 15 round mags but I'd also bring my chest rig with 4x additional mags.

Honestly... in SHTF scenario... put down the damn bird shot.

And I'm guessing you've practiced tripple transitions from shotgun to pistol to rifle to pistol to shotgun to rifle to pistol? Sounds like and aweful lot of things to keep track of in a defensive situation.

Why does everyone assume they will even have access to a gun much less their choice in a SHTF scenario?

Most likely for me I'll be at work 60 miles from home where I'm not even alowed to carry. I know the obvious answers but its not always possible.

Just adding another thought to the discusion....

Sent from my Barnett Raptor using alien technology

You can't keep a firearm in your car? Something stashed to get you home? 60miles is a long way, especially if there's a locallized event between your work and home. But you're absolutely right... there's no way you could account for all situations, but preparing for what you can puts you ahead of most folks sitting around you.

That is a problem with an obvious answer to me. I can only think of one good reason to be 60 miles from a firearm and that is because you had to fly there using a international airport.
There is simply no good excuse to not be with in sprinting distance from a firearm......and that's being generous
Eff policy in the A when it comes to self defense

Honestly... in SHTF scenario... put down the damn bird shot.
So you don't like to eat in a SHTF situation ? I can see where he might want to swap places with the Buck in the carrier but the birdshot would have high value in a SHTF situation.......but I suppose you city dwelling East siders will just go to White Castle or some fried chicken dealer lol

So you don't like to eat in a SHTF situation ? I can see where he might want to swap places with the Buck in the carrier but the birdshot would have high value in a SHTF situation.......but I suppose you city dwelling East siders will just go to White Castle or some fried chicken dealer lol

lol everyone thinks NY is one big concrete jungle. We gots mountains up in this beeatch. wit treeeeeeeees.

I was thinking engagement of hostiles.... maybe I have cranky issues with NY gun laws at the moment.

I gots plenty of birdshot fo clays and preys.

Back