• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 vs Maverick 88

Which would you choose based on this info?

• Mossberg 500 All purpose (ret.$401)

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Maverick 88 Special Purpose (ret.$289)

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Maverick 88 Special Purpose retail $289
VS
Mossberg 500 all purpose $401
(basic is $401 but I figured these better compare)

So the question I want answered is why spend $224 MORE dollars on a M500 over a M88?

Most sites I ran across had no comparison. One did, another forum, and I am combining and copying it over here to see what the group of Mossberg Forum elites can come up with. The other I pasted as it was a blog.

M500=Mossberg 500 M88=Maverick 88

found this link for more comparison: http://arealmansreviews.blogspot.com/2010/08/mossberg-maverick-88-security-8-shot.html

the above link's list of differences is as follows.......
1.Suggested Retail Price (MSRP): Maverick $233, Model 500 $406 (prices must have changed since 2010 when this was written)

2.Location of the Safety: Maverick has a cross-bolt safety on the trigger guard and the Model 500 has a top tang safety.

3.Trigger Groups: Not interchangeable

4. Swivel Studs: Maverick has an integrally molded sling mount on the buttstock and no forward swivel stud. The Model 500 comes with swivel studs on both the buttstock and the take down screw.

5.Upper Receiver: Maverick is not drilled and tapped for a scope mount, Model 500 comes drilled and tapped.

6.Stock Forearm: The forearm on the Maverick has the action bars riveted or integrally molded to the synthetic forearm. Replacement Model 500 forearms will not fit on the Maverick.

7.Manufacture & Assembly: Based on everything I have read on the Internet, the Maverick has some parts that are fabricated in Mexico and assembly takes place in Texas. All Model 500 parts are fabricated in the USA.

8.Warranty: Maverick One (1) Year Limited Warranty, Model 500 Ten (10) Year Limited Warranty

------------------------------------------

1. The M500 has a receiver mounted slide tang safety.
The M88 has a trigger guard mounted cross-bolt safety.
The trigger assemblies are interchangable

2. The M500 USED to have a slide tube which slides over the magazine with attached action bars for cocking the action. It has a seperate forearm which in turn slides over it and is secured by a nut that threads over the end of the slide tube. Now it is the same as the M88 listed below.
The M88 has a molded one piece forearm which has the action bars pinned to it. The forearm has plastic ribbing inside of it to take up the space where the slide tube would have been. It does not have a forearm nut
The forearm assemblies are interchangable.

3. The M88 is basically a cheaper version of the M500. Every other part on the M88 will Interchange with an M500. The only difference is the M88 will not accept some aftermarket goodies that some people would install on their M500. Mainly forearm replacements, such as: Pistol Grip forearms and SureFire Integrated WeaponLights. Besides those two things or related parts, anything you can put on an M500 you can put on an M88. The M500 you should notice that the top is not drilled and tapped for mounting optics. This is one of the key differences between the Maverick and the Model 500.

4. One interesting fact is this: They are made in the same Factory, but do not carry the same warranty. The M500 carries a Ten Year Warranty, while it's cheaper sibling only carries a One Year Warranty.

5. I have noticed that the M500 tends to wear the bluing off of the magazine much faster, than the M88. This is due to the constant contact from the metal slide tube, I suppose.

6. Both of the action bars on these guns are much looser than comparable guns in their price bracket. They are known for this, but are still very reliable. Although, the M88 can have its action bars come unpinned. Whereas the M500 has them covered by the forearm, and not pinned through it, like the M88.

7. M88's are only offered with synthetic stocks because of their cheapness to mold. M500 comes in Black Synthetic, or a Honey Satin Finished wood, stock and forearm.

8. Both the M500 and M88 are 3" chambered guns, and all barrels interchange between gauges. Even the 20" 8 Shot models.

9. The safety locations and method of function differ. Trigger assemblies as a result are not interchangeable without modification. If you install an M500 trigger assembly in a Mav88 receiver, you will have a safety-less shotgun. If you install a Mav88 trigger assembly in an M500 you will have at least 1 safety, possibly 2,..

10. The receiver of Mav88's are not drilled and tapped for rails/scopes/what have you's,.. (at least the field models aren't, not sure about the security models.)

11. The M500 comes with swivel studs ready to accept s strap/sling

---------------------------------------

Based on what I am gathering there is VERY little to justify the $112-$224 extra into the M500 depending on model. The Warranty and Made in USA are all likely going to be the biggest "persuaders" (pun intended :)) I was finding M500 everywhere and have had very little trouble getting accessories. The Maverick is no where to be found and parts are the same. I would say leaving the M500 for Maverick is second worse to leaving the 12 gauge for 20 gauge when it comes to accessories or swaps. Most 20 gauge stuff fits the 12g version. I am not new to shotguns but still rather green having been away from it for 15 years. I just thought it was way to difficult to track down this kind of info and am trying to help others out. I ended up with the M500 model # 50452 which came with a postol grip too and was $379.99. I ordered it in the 20 gauge (wife) since 12g are on every shelf and I can get that anytime.

Since you are actually doing a comparison based on price, I will add my 2 cents.
Most on this forum already know this information about me and my Mossberg's.
I have 4 500's, 2 12ga, 1 20ga and 1 .410.
All of these were purchased USED.
For the 12 ga's I paid $180 (Old stock New In the Box) and $160 (Bubba) (Well used but it has turned into my favorite gun).
The 20 ga was $110 (Bubba Jr or Jr for short) (nice shape worth much more) and the .410 was $200 (Shot very little and looked NEW)

Anyone looking for a 500 or an 88, I suggest that you look for a used one CHEAP!
They are everywhere and since the 500/88 is almost indestructible you cannot go wrong.
Even if they ever do have a problem, it so easy to gunsmith, the parts are cheap and easily found.

I say ALWAYS buy these guns used....Just My Humble Opinion.

Nice deals on those Mossys. I went to to 10 firearm stores and searched at least another 5 online used lists before I gave up and ordered what I wanted. I will continue to be on the lookout and will cross my fingers to pay those kinds of prices.

At our local Wal-Mart a Maverick 88 is only $199. Our local Bi-Mart has the Mossberg 500 with 18.5" and 28" barrels for only $299. You get the extra barrel, but they use a less expensive pinned forearm without a metal tube similar to the Maverick. I don't like this forend and plan on replacing it with a proper 500 law enforcement forend on a new metal slide tube ($75 in parts). Bi-Mart also has a base 18.5" security Mossberg model 50411 with a full stock and a pistol grip for only $329. This has the proper model 500 forend.

I had the same choice and opted for the Mossberg 500 which felt more solid than the Maverick. Also the Warranty ten years vs one, and the fact that it is ALL American made was well worth the extra cost.

If you are just going to set in in the corner for piece of mind and never use it, get the Maverick 88. Look for the 20" Maverick 88 Security 8 shot and only load the tube half full so the spring won't lose tension after 20 years of sitting in the closet.

like LTB45 my 1st and only 500 was used and a great deal at that. I chose it based on brand name. versatility, company and aftermarket support.

It did, however become the down payment for a NIB 930 - there IS a happy ending. After two years of shooting the snot out of it I received in trade $5 less than I originally paid for it and all I did was clean and shoot during the time that I owned it.

It was a 28" with a bead sight and wood furniture. Numbers - paid $200 FTF, negotiated trade with a dealer I use regularly at $195. The key was - i was a cash customer previous to making the deal AND the gun looked its best possible coming in the door - ready for the case and for the next buyer to load and shoot!

My family has been in the car business for 3 generations. NEVER trade a dirty car and always fix the small problems - broken lens, windshield washer tube clogged etc.

Even if it the perception that the car is well cared for - perception IS reality at that moment. I'm not saying defraud or mislead - just out your best foot forward.

Basically the price difference, as you mentioned, is in the versatility. If you do NOT plan to do anything with the shot gun (Keep it Stock) the Maverick is the way to go. However, if you plan on changing the forend, or mounting sights (Red Dot/Scope) the 500 should be your choice. As far as the safety, it will come down to personal preference. I shoot ambidextorous, and liked the tang safety better.

No matter which you choose, you will be getting a 12 gauge boom stick that will last you a lifetime.

You can always get better deals used than new. One place to keep an eye out is the local Pawn Stores. I have seen some pretty good deals in the ones that sale guns.

Frank

Nick Burkhardt said:
At our local Wal-Mart a Maverick 88 is only $199. Our local Bi-Mart has the Mossberg 500 with 18.5" and 28" barrels for only $299. You get the extra barrel, but they use a less expensive pinned forearm without a metal tube similar to the Maverick. I don't like this forend and plan on replacing it with a proper 500 law enforcement forend on a new metal slide tube ($75 in parts). Bi-Mart also has a base 18.5" security Mossberg model 50411 with a full stock and a pistol grip for only $329. This has the proper model 500 forend.

I had the same choice and opted for the Mossberg 500 which felt more solid than the Maverick. Also the Warranty ten years vs one, and the fact that it is ALL American made was well worth the extra cost.

If you are just going to set in in the corner for piece of mind and never use it, get the Maverick 88. Look for the 20" Maverick 88 Security 8 shot and only load the tube half full so the spring won't lose tension after 20 years of sitting in the closet.

I am jealous what your WalMart carries and mine does not.

I was originally just getting it for home defense and was trying to get the maverick 20 gauge but ended up with a 500. I am now getting more interested in shooting more and maybe eventually doing some local competition stuff. I figured, order the 20 gauge which is harder to find and eventually get a 12 gauge that is carried everywhere.

I must say.....based on what I am seeing.....the resale in Michigan is much closer to true value than other places in the states.

@Frank Castle- after striking out at roughly 15 places I will try looking at Pawn shops. Never been in one so that should be an adventure. One is Detroit is actually on TV.....Hardcore Pawn.

@ generally speaking.....I posted this to gather more info and make it easier for future noobs like me to find this info easier.

I have two Mavericks in 12 gauge and one 500 in 20 gauge. I bought the 20 gauge for my recoil sensitive wife. If I could have found the 20 gauge I wanted in a Maverick, I would have bought it instead. If I'm buying another shotgun, and I can get what I want in either 500 or Maverick, I'll buy another Maverick. Take care. Tom Worthington.

I like both the 500 and Maverick. I do believe however, that the Maverick is the best bang for the buck in shotguns today. YMMV. tom. :cool:

For Price... Maverick has the 500 beat by far! However, my personal knowledge is that the 500 is better in quality! Do your best to find a Mossberg 500 USED and you really can't go wrong. With all safeguards put into consideration and you don't take a chunk of junk.. you can get a used 500 that runs like new for the same if not lower price of an 88

New re-stock at Port Huron MI Walmart has....

M88 28" all black for $199
and
M500 28" wood stock/fore for $257

Pretty hard to pass the 500's name, build, and 10 year warranty for $58+ 6% MI sales tax.

GrottoKnight said:
New re-stock at Port Huron MI Walmart has....

M88 28" all black for $199
and
M500 28" wood stock/fore for $257

Pretty hard to pass the 500's name, build, and 10 year warranty for $58+ 6% MI sales tax.
That m500 is looking pretty good. Is it blued or parkerized? This is going to be your skeet gun, right?

Yup skeet. Blued steel for either model.

Still paying on the Home D M500 20 gauge cruiser/persuader combo and can't wait until it comes in!

Getting the 12ga M500 this friday (payday) as I can't wait anymore :) I already have a black forend (thanks to ZombieHunterD) and then when I get my HD M500 I will have two stocks so I can keep one on the 12ga and put the pistol grip on the 20ga.

In other news....my wife and I were getting anxious to shoot so we picked up a Umarex XBG co2 BB pistol and plinked yesterday evening. It was a blast! Set up a little range and shot 10-30yds. $30 for it plus 15 co2 and 1500 BBs for $10 and $5. Thing shoots 150 BBs for one co2. Great accuracy and range! .............Still not my coveted Mossy :)

My wife and I have been around firearms our whole life but haven't had much to do with them for about a decade and have 4 kids.......now we developed our OWN interest on our OWN and are really excited! This Fridays M500 will be our first (beside paintball or BB) since I sold my hunting 870 when I was 19 (now 32)

I wish my wife wanted to shoot. Shes scared of guns, ive tried to slowly introduce her to guns but shes too afraid. Shes the kind that hears the big bang and wants to drop the gun..... Sounds like you two had fun, too bad you didnt get to shoot at rats or something lol.
Yeah, i prefer blued over parkerized. Waiting for the gun is hard. Waiting for parts to come in the mail can be even harder sometimes. lol
I used to paintball alot. had modded tippman 98 custom. Loved that gun.

Back