• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 vs Remington 870...

Which do you prefer?

• Mossberg 500

Votes: 55 93.2%
  • Remington 870

Votes: 4 6.8%

• Total voters
Yea I own both and always grab for the mossberg 500 first...I guess I am biased too lol...

I shot a Wingmaster as my only hunting gun for 30+ years. I found I didn't grab it as often as I used to when I left the house, and sold it to a friend for his up and coming 14 year old son. I was very happy to see it go to someone who would appreciate it as much as I used to. Then I saw what a shame Remington put on the 870 legend with the total lack of quality control in the Express model. I have since bought about 35 shotguns, and always keep 2 or 3 Mossberg pumps in the house because they just plain work. I use a 500 for my home defense shotgun, and have another with a bird and a muzzleloading barrel. Mossberg should be very proud to have led the way with being the first to offer an inline muzzleloading barrel for their 500! I do not allow an Express in my house.

Neanderthal said:
Mossberg should be very proud to have led the way with being the first to offer an inline muzzleloading barrel for their 500!

Totally agree! That is very cool, and my father in law has me considering the conversion...

I really want to give the muzzle loading Mossberg 500 a try.

I guess there is no love for the Remington 870 on this forum :twisted:

There is a reason Mossbergs are used by the military. They work in the dirt.
They work if you don't clean them. They just don't break but if they do they are easy to fix.
One tough gun. Made with the same theory as the Kalishnakov- (KISS)- before Mr.K.

ladytech777 said:
There is a reason Mossbergs are used by the military. They work in the dirt.
They work if you don't clean them. They just don't break but if they do they are easy to fix.
One tough gun. Made with the same theory as the Kalishnakov- (KISS)- before Mr.K.

Right on! ;)

I love my 500, it’s what I bought, a couple times, but on the other hand I never met a gun I didn’t like,well maybe hi point no offence :) , and do like 870’s but when it comes to pumps my hard earned money goes to O.S.M.… I want a 930 too my semi is a Winchester

My good friend has an 870. I'm really not a fan. I don't think it can handle the heavy use like our 500's. His has a wood stock and it's all chipped and shitty looking. Not from misuse, It just can't handle being banged around. The finish of the metal sucks too. It scratches easily and promotes rust. My dad has a 500, it was his first gun, it's been through hell and back, and I can tell you it looks and functions way better than my friends 870 that's about 5 years old.

P.S. I wonder why this forum is so bias? Are the results of this survey skewed?

Tough call for me. The 870 has been my go to gun for the last 20+ years. It's been though hell and back, cycled many 1000's of rounds wihout a hickup and has never let me down.

I then picked upo a used 500c, that too has operated flawlessly. I don';t have as much trigger time on is as I have my 870 but I have not has a single issue with it mechanically My 835 is still sitting in a box waiting be be refinished so I can't comment on that one, it was bought specifically as a project gun.

The ergonomics of the safety and slide release are difficult for me to perform as reliably as my brain is still wired for the 870 controls but that's an operator issue, not the equipment and I just neeed to get more practice for the Mossy controls to become automatic for me.

I'm not sure one can compare the two in terms of which one is better, both have earned a reputation for reliability. Some people let the price tag influence them as to which is a better gun but from my experience so far, I would trust my life to either one.

Yea I own both and always grab for the mossberg 500 first...I guess I am biased too lol...

I also own both i just like the mossy better. :D

I have them both and enjoy them both. my only issue with the 500 is field stripping. me (500) and my son (870) just raced and he smoked me big time. getting the fore end stock off the 870 is a cinch. you basically have to completely disassemble the 500 to get the fore end off and you need a tool to do it (punch for the pin). i'd still grab the 500 as my go to gun though

I dont see alot of quality issues with the remington 870. Sure the new ones dont have the fit and finish that I would expect out of modern manufacturing, but it works.
My biggest itch with Remington is ergonomic. My maverick has a safety where its supposed to be, there is no gate to hang a glove on when loading.

Back