• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 waterfowl....disapointment..

lipripper

Copper BB
Hey guys, Im a life long mossberg shooter. 51 years old been shooting them since I was a teen. Have the first one I ever got, bought it used when I was 15..still banging hogs n deer with it. I will not ever own another brand shotgun...love the mossy pumps. Funny I catch a lot of heat from my buddies with the high dollar black guns that jam all the time the old mossys keep on pumping!!!

Anyway, I wanted one strictly for duck hunting. Wife picked me one up for my birthday(Aug) and I held onto it untill Nov for duck season. First thing I noticed was how much lighter it was...wow..they took some serious weight out of this gun compared to my 4 other pumps I have///835 and 500's.

Anyway, yesterday..1-20-14 with one week to go for our duck season, I had a man go down for the first time in 35 years. My new 500 waterfowl was out of commission during a hunt. :evil: Never have I had one go down on me in all these years.

The slide action FAILED.. I have only put aprox 175 shells thru the gun since nov of 2013 on opening day of duck season. Looking at the new design, they have taken the steel out of the slide action and now it just grooved plastic. Yes it a whole lot lighter...but its not as durable. Here is an attached photo... you can see how it failed...

Now..... I got on the phone with the service center and they will replace it of course no issues there....BUT...heres the kicker..... The service rep....(suggested)...that I purchase and older model slide for it instead!!!!! That tells me they know this is an issue. I felt if he was to suggest that then why wont they just replace the new one..with an older style? He said he isn't allowed to do that.

Anyway, I took a slide off one of my other 500's and got the water fowl gun back up for this last week of season. Mailing in broken parts today for replacement.

Has anyone else had this problem with the new lighter 500's? just a heads up guys, from a life long mossy man...if your getting a new one..check the style slide on it....get the older metal one if you can..

Bummer.

I'm glad that OFM CS is making it right but I really dislike the fact that they know it's an issue but continue to sell it in that configuration.

I did have something similar happen to a Blackhawk forend I installed on my 835. In my case I had some fitment issues that caused me to have to dremmel some of the polymer away to get the nut to fit. I attributed the failure to removing too much material. In my case the gun was still functional but I forend crept out over the magazine cap by a few inches.

Welcome to the forum from NY. Sorry to hear about your problem.

Keep us posted.

Back