• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500

I bought my Mossberg 500 this year and decided to replace my follower. I have tried everything else I can think off to remove the mag tube but unfortunately I effing can't take it off. Heat gun, rubber strap wrench, (sigh) even tried a vise grip. And yes I'm unscrewing it counter clockwise. Any other tips or ideas how I can remove this thing. Something so easy turns out to be troublesome. Thanks [emoji120]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome. Make sure you remove plastic trigger assembly. You gotta get heat up good to break down the factory loctite i think about 375 or so. Then you probably wont even need tool. Just be sure and remove all bolt and trigger assembly first.

You need to be carefull not to overheat it to the point of discoloring the finish.

When you finally get it out. Do not put more loctite on it. It will stay in place without it and will be easier to remove in the future.

Strip the gun and hold the receiver in your hand with the tube hanging down. Propane torch the half inch or so mag tube below the receiver. Heat the tube, not the receiver. When you see the puff of smoke and smell the weird smell, it's done. Takes just a few secs.

Welcome to the forum, MB!

I'd invest $15-$20 in a heat gun from Home Depot, Lowe's or Harbor Freight... Probably be in the paint department. And what they said ^^^^ remove other parts so you don't damage them. Don't worry about re-applying Loctite--the takedown screw will help hold the tube in place after you make sure it is good and hand-tight--no need for pliers or any other tool.

I've had to push them to 500F to break them loose. This is not even close to damaging finishes, annealing etc. With proper heat the mag tube will come right off, no need to force it. And as always don't crush the tube with channel locks etc.

Back