• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 5500 MK II problems

Blood_Trail

.270 WIN
A few years back, I picked up this Mossberg for $150 with both barrels: field and magnum. This gun as been my go-to gun from everything from small game to ducks. A couple weeks ago, I competed in a sporting clays event where my team took 2nd out of 34 teams. Besides the occasional jam, it perform flawlessly. They very next week, I went out of opening dove season. I was shooting the field barrel with #6 shot. The first shot didn't extract and the bolt was stuck forward. I had to use a flathead and a hammer to tap the bolt all the forward to release it and the barrel. Took it apart, cleaned it, and shot it again. Same thing. I tapped the bolt to get it unstuck. This time, I pulled the bolt home and released it, but it wasn't slamming forward like its supposed to. I called the guys at Havlin Sales and he suspects its either the buffer plate I side the receiver (I replaced it when I bought the gun) or my receiver had warped from years of shooting magnum loads.

Has anyone else had this problem? Where else should I check?

Blood_Trail said:
A few years back, I picked up this Mossberg for $150 with both barrels: field and magnum. This gun as been my go-to gun from everything from small game to ducks. A couple weeks ago, I competed in a sporting clays event where my team took 2nd out of 34 teams. Besides the occasional jam, it perform flawlessly. They very next week, I went out of opening dove season. I was shooting the field barrel with #6 shot. The first shot didn't extract and the bolt was stuck forward. I had to use a flathead and a hammer to tap the bolt all the forward to release it and the barrel. Took it apart, cleaned it, and shot it again. Same thing. I tapped the bolt to get it unstuck. This time, I pulled the bolt home and released it, but it wasn't slamming forward like its supposed to. I called the guys at Havlin Sales and he suspects its either the buffer plate I side the receiver (I replaced it when I bought the gun) or my receiver had warped from years of shooting magnum loads.

Has anyone else had this problem? Where else should I check?

The 5500 MK II is not fast closing in mine either. I was also going ask if anyone has a way to make the Mossy 5500 MK II bolt close stronger and faster? I have run few rounds thru my 5500 and NEVER any magnum loads. I just do trap using #7 Bird shot

Back