• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590 Flex Tactical (Model 51672)

dakid6945

Copper BB
Hello everyone!

New to shotguns and Mossbergs! I recently purchased the 590 Flex Tactical. Looking for a site to get some Flex accessories (Quad Rail, Heat Shield, Sight, Forend Grip and short stock). Any site recommendation for my shotgun?

Congrats on the FLEX bro. And welcome to MO. I Got one as well.
Unfortunately there are not many aftermarket flex parts available.

Now a lot of the 590/500 parts will fit the FLEX just fine minus the detachable hand guard and the TLS stock. (now you can remove the TLS adaptor and use any buttstock you like but then it would be another 590/500 imo)
If u wanna get a different forend you will need a new forend tube, as the FLEX forend tube is specific to the detachable FLEX forend. But with the 590/500 tube you can use any forend out there that will fit the 590 or 500.
Good luck on the accessories and if u got more questions just ask.

Last edited:
Thanks Stigmata! Had to special order the newest member of the family. Hopefully she will be here Thursday as I plan to head to the range with some friends then. I have found the heat shield, pistol grip, rail mount and short stock. Now need a sight and some rounds and I will be good to go. Any recommendation on indoor range rounds as well as home defense rounds?

Got to see some pics bro of your new FLEX when u get it.

As for HD rounds I run 00 buck. You can't go wrong with that. You will definitely hit your mark in a highten situation.
Another good HD round is the PDX 1 defender by Winchester. The shot has a 1oz slug w/3 - 00 buck pellets.
Or last but not least there is the slug that will destroy any thing you hit.

On the indoor range round.....well it all depends on the range and what they allow. I've been to 4 different indoor ranges around here and all are different. One only allows slugs. Another only 00 buck and slugs. Another #4 and above. And last one will let you shoot target loads which is really unheard of....but it can happen (that one is the only indoor range I have EVER been to that allows that) - most ranges only allow slugs, as a rule of thumb, you won't have an issue with a SG shooting slugs.
But it ultimately it's up to the range you are at and What they allow.

Hope this helps any...

Last edited:
Definitely Stigmata! Cant wait to get it and post the pics!

Thanks for the suggestion on the rounds. I will definitely be getting some 00 for HD. So my friend who told me about the FLEX said that it could possibly damage the barrel shooting slugs in it for the first time. True or False?

Now I'm not a barrel expert, but If you have a smooth barrel you won't have an issue shooting slugs as some slugs are already rifled for that reason.
But from my understanding if you have a rifled barrel and shoot nothing but bird or buck shot over time it may ware down the rifling in the barrel but not sure after how long. Most SG under 24" are smooth barrels and of course there are exceptions on that. Not sure which SG now a days comes rifled through. All of my SG are smooth barrels. I got a 590 Mossberg FLEX and a 500 Mossy as well as a Remington 870.

Some one with a little more knowledge than me on the subject might chime in and explain it better.

By The Way.... I have fired a $hitload of slugs (all brands) through my tactical 590 FLEX and I have NEVER had any issues with my barrel. I clean it with the patch plugs and take it off at times for a better cleaning and run a bore snake and look down the barrel (empty of course) and I have NEVER noticed and fouling in the barrel. You will be good to go firing slugs from time to time or every time. Its all good bro....

Last edited:
Congratulations on the new gun!

No problem shooting slugs unless its through either a fixed choke barrel or a threaded choke tube, full or tighter. Being that its the tactical, it should be an open choke or cylinder bore in which case slugs will be fine. Foster type slugs are best suited for this, or they may be called rifled slugs or some will say hollow point rifled slug and I don't remember what manufacturer it is but some have the letters (RS) behind the stock number.

The sabot slugs are designed for rifled barrels. Shot, like birdshot to buckshot, will follow the rifling and spin. Centrifugal force will cause the pattern to keep opening and (depending on the distance) make a hole big enough to throw a wet hen through. And she'll be mad.

Will shot damage a rifled barrel? I don't know but lead shot will foul the rifling and I'm told its difficult to clean. It's like running the old soft lead ammo without copper jacket through a rifle or handgun. The lead builds up in the grooves. I don't know if it will damage the barrel, but it just doesn't make sense to fire anything but the sabot slug through it that it's designed for.

With me being an accountant and this being the busiest time of the year for me, I thank you and apologize for the delay on my part for replying back to your messages. Thank you for the advice.

As for my new toy, it will be delivered on Tuesday so I will post pics ASAP!!! Will take her to the range in 2 weeks as we are going to go for my best friend's bachelor party.

Im not a hunter, this is for HD. Being that I am new to shotguns, I have come here for all expertise knowledge. Thanks Rossignol! I wont be changing the barrel so it sounds like I am good to go as long as I use the right slugs.

Back