• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590 Pump Action Mag Tubes: Extensions and Springs

Ran 200 rounds of mixed lot buck slug and bird through my 590 in a class yesterday. Re mag tub ext's and sling plates that mount between the ext and the mag tube:

A 2 shot Choate mag ext was used.
(S&J Hardware en route but not in time for the class yesterday)
It got me a true 2 rounds with buck, slug and bird. It ran fine when directly attached to the mag tube. However, I ran a wilderness products front sling plate between the tube and the ext.
BE WARNED: the gap created by the sling plate between the mag tube and the extension caused the spring to hang up on the mag tube lip and jam the hell out of the mag tube spring. Feeding was totally dependent on gravity and tilting the gun up after each ejection to feed a round out of the tube. Pulling the plate and re-attaching the ext directly to the tube cured this for the rest of the day and well over 100 rounds of mixed lot with no hiccups.

Just picked up my 590 model# 50778 7shot today and started changing out some of the parts for the aftermarket knick knacks I've been accumulating during the 10-day wait. When I went to replace the factory tube extension on the 7shot I noticed it's actually a choate mag tube extension on there already from Mossberg, but this one is literally a 1 shell extension and is not flush to the muzzle. When I loaded it up before changing the extension it was a 6+1 with 2 3/4"shells to a now 7+1 using the choate "+1 extension" mentioned in this thread. I did try it with a gg&g sling plate as well btw and the mag tube was protruding past the muzzle a little with it.

Last edited:
I know most stand by the S&J extension and from all the suggestions and vids and pics I've seen it looks like it lives up to what others have said about being a top notch extension. I was relatively surprised and at ease when I found out Mossberg uses Choate as their extensions from the factory. More then anything it was peace of mind that the parts were truly compatible enough to Mossbergs very own standards. I'd say in this realm of things that the Choate is good enough but if you want exceptional S&J would be the obvious choice.

Just wanted to leave this here..

Not really sure whereto post this, so figered here was as good as any

In light of a few complaints we have received over the last few days, I’m going to put this out there again.
Our main focus as a company is of the manufacturing of our S&J hardware products and the building and customizing of firearms for our clients.
We always ask if at all possible to buy from one of our dealers, I know this is not always possible, due to the dealers not stocking the complete line or maybe not having the items listed on the website, but it is the fastest way to get our products.
That said we will never turn away a customer, even if it is a $12 order to New Zealand or someone just needing to ask a question, we will always be there for our customers.
We are always looking for more dealers, both in Canada/USA and worldwide.
We offer a healthy mark up on very high quality products that are guaranteed for life.
We have a standing offer, that if a customer can set us up with a dealer that places a booking order, we will give you an S&J Hardware gift card for $100 CDN.
Our products are in use by military, police, and customs, correction officers all over the world as well as hunters, sports shooters and instructors.
Please feel free to contact us at any time for more details about becoming a dealer or to find a dealer near you.
S&J Hardware
sales@sjhardware.com
613 921 4041 8-5 EST
www.sjhardware.com

when I click on your "Dealers" heading on your Web Page - it go's to a dead link ......

Which + 1 Mag Extension for 590A1, 18"?

Since no one makes a + 2 mag extension for the 590A1 18" barrel that sits even with the muzzle I was wondering which + 1 mag extensions would work well? Thanks!
The Choate +1 4.25" extension sits flush with the barrel and makes the capacity 7+1 using the factory follower.

I just bought a Mossberg 590a1 model 50774. I am watching videos on doing a disassembly, and on all the videos the mag tube has a spring retainer that will not let the spring come out after you take off the mag cap. I do not have this retainer, you take the cap off and spring comes right out. This is a brand new factory gun. Is this missing? I am going to attach a picture of the gun. I appreciate any help, I am new to shotguns and so far the manual hasn't really helped as it is vague and covers several models.
iaJk9Vg.jpg

I have the 590 bead sight version. There is no spring retention clip because the +1 mag tube extension. None of the newer 7shot models have the retention clip because the extension. Not to worry about it. Most ppl leave it out anyways for faster field strip cleaning.

Yeah I was measuring for choate to make a custom one that if flush with barrel and I kinda thought that. BTW I have a thread made but wanted anyone to know if you have the new 7 shot model, you can get an extension from Choate that will not go past the barrel. Get the 4.25 stock model. This is measured from point A. on this picture.

0xPuSU6.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah I was measuring for choate to make a custom one that if flush with barrel and I kinda thought that. BTW I have a thread made but wanted anyone to know if you have the new 7 shot model, you can get an extension from Choate that will not go past the barrel. The 4 1/2 inch extension is going to stick out, you need to ask them to make you a 4 1/8 extension for the Mossberg 7 shot models of 590a1. This is measured from point A. on this picture.

0xPuSU6.jpg

Here is a picture of mine. It is one offered by Choate that is flush to the barrel minus the sling loop screw.

Last edited:
Very nice man. I just noticed that I have a tri-rail on the forearm of the shotgun. It shows that on the Mossberg website. I need to look at some attachments to put on there.

Here is a picture of mine. It is one offered by Choate that is flush to the barrel minus the sling loop screw.
71CB1690-DD28-455B-9FF5-407902F9BD6C_zpsa4uzdgby.jpg

Yeah I was measuring for choate to make a custom one that if flush with barrel and I kinda thought that. BTW I have a thread made but wanted anyone to know if you have the new 7 shot model, you can get an extension from Choate that will not go past the barrel. The 4 1/2 inch extension is going to stick out, you need to ask them to make you a 4 1/8 extension for the Mossberg 7 shot models of 590a1. This is measured from point A. on this picture.

0xPuSU6.jpg
The Choate 4.25" extension sits flush with the barrell. It makes the capacity 7+1 when used with the factory follower.
http://www.riflestock.com/store/do/product/MXT/02-04-11

Here it is on my 590:

E1D74286-D29D-48B1-96C8-56319CEC8E92_zpsddlpzvw6.jpg

The Choate 4.25" extension sits flush with the barrell. It makes the capacity 7+1 when used with the factory follower.
http://www.riflestock.com/store/do/product/MXT/02-04-11

Here it is on my 590:

E1D74286-D29D-48B1-96C8-56319CEC8E92_zpsddlpzvw6.jpg

That is strange, I was asked by Choate to measure it from point a on that picture and when I measured it at 4.25 it was sitting a little past the barrel. I wonder if I am doing something wrong. That is the 590a1 7 shot model that came with the tri-rail forend originally?

That is strange, I was asked by Choate to measure it from point a on that picture and when I measured it at 4.25 it was sitting a little past the barrel. I wonder if I am doing something wrong. That is the 590a1 7 shot model that came with the tri-rail forend originally?
No mine was the 590 7 shot (no tri rail)
http://www.mossberg.com/product/590-7-shot-50778/

Same thing tho, the 4.25" one I linked will work for you.

Here's a video of a guy with it installed. His looks off in color but mine matches perfectly:

The reason it looks a little bit off is the difference between parkerized and the matte blue. I have the same model as you do and the same extension, matches perfectly. Most ppl can't tell though.

Here's a shot of the 7 shot 590's standard Choate extension and spring alongside the 4.25" Choate extension and it's provided spring:

0045C128-668D-4608-8764-649C9A20974A_zpseo6mm9zy.jpg

I just received and installed a S+J +2 on my 20" barreled 590A1. It extends past the barrel a bit, but ... hey, I love having 11 on board for funning and gunning. Looks great and built like a tank.

Back