• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590 Pump Action Mag Tubes: Extensions and Springs

Re: 590A1 18.5 mag extension.

Thanks for the replies guys and/or gals.

I am looking at the choate and the S&J

Of the 2 which is best or are they about equal? Pics of them intalled?

Anything will help. I have always said mossberg should make the magtube on a 18.5 500 flush with the bbl.
Now I have the opportunity to make one with arguably the best shotgun ever made!

ETA I just checked the S&J website they are back ordered, so I guess that means the choate is the one as they were in stock. Thanks again everyone.

EBK,
S&J hardware is the best extension on the market. I have owned both, the Choate is good for the money, but you get what you pay for.. I had issues with my Choate extension while feeding. Remember this is a sample size of one. I have no experiences with the Nordic.
Here is a pic of my 18.5" 590A1 with the S&J extension.
a7f3fc18.jpg

KentuckyWindage said:
EBK,
S&J hardware is the best extension on the market. I have owned both, the Choate is good for the money, but you get what you pay for.. I had issues with my Choate extension while feeding. Remember this is a sample size of one. I have no experiences with the Nordic.
a7f3fc18.jpg

I haven't had any feeding issues with my Choate extension.

KentuckyWindage said:
EBK,
a7f3fc18.jpg

That is EXACTLY what I am looking for. Maybe I will just wait til they are back in stock.

I would wait. The S&J extension is all steel construction while the choate has a plastic end cap that bothered the crap out of me. It is the only thing holding everything in. S&J machine work is top notch, this is coming from a fellow machinist. also with the S&J the sling mount built in while the choate uses a stamped clamp mount that comes loose under recoil. Choate makes a decent extension for the money but S&J hardware is superior. They offer a discount for website members I believe it's 5%.

Re: Mossberg 590 Pump Action Mag Tubes: Extensions and Sprin

Finally ordered a S&J 2 round magazine extension, spring and follower. They were great with questions, and even though the free shipping ended they threw that in too. Parts worked great, the finish matched the 590A1 just fine and it functions as good as it looks. The cherry on top is that I can now load up over a half pound of lead in gun with an 18 1/2" barrel!

Re: Mossberg 590 Pump Action Mag Tubes: Extensions and Sprin

My a1 feeds flawlessly with any ammo I feed her. But hey its no fun leaving a component stock. Im getting a wolf spring and im contemplating between a stainless or delrin follower. What do you guys think

590A1 18.5 mag extension.

OK I got a S&J magazine extension for my 590A1 just to see what the difference is. The spring is a lot longer than the Choate one and I had a bit of trouble putting the new spring in since it is so long. Will it make my shot shells compress so I need to change them out or shoot them?

Also I lost the original follower from Mossberg so I'm using the one I got from Choate. I can only put 6 rounds in the magazine right now. I'm using the CDM Gear MTR rail for my TLR-1 light that already has a sling mount on it. I prefer not to have a sling on my HD shotgun.

I do like the quality of the S&J extension though.

You can trim the spring so you'll be able to reach full capacity.

Trim it one or two coils at a time, checking function and capacity in between until you find the sweet spot...

Yes, trim the spring just like LES wrote.

I added the S&J extension a month ago and it's as good as noted above. I can't speak for the Choate. The finish is even a close match to the original.

I recently got the S&J HARDWARE magazine extension for my 590 A1, finish was a perfect match,but in the field it came off after 3 shots of skeet/trap load ... to my total disbelief, based on what Ive read about the company,... cleaned everything, re installed it, only to have it come off after 2 shots of the same load!
I contacted the company and was told to return it, they had some in stock, and mailed it to them on 3/13/13....heard nothing until they acknowledged the receipt of it .... and then NOTHING... even after numerous e mails, and a phone call to the customer service dept.... I even asked for either a replacement or refund.... have gotten neither! My 590 a1 was a NIB purchase, only modification to the shotgun was installation of browning choke tubes to match my browning maxus, in order to hunt, shoot skeet/trap, as well as use for home defense. My confidence in the product and the company are both shot... just not the clay pigeons I intended to hit that afternoon in March!
I will keep you guys posted on progress or lack of it.. they are a Canadian based company.

Good luck.

I'm hoping you get a positive response from them soon...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
You can trim the spring so you'll be able to reach full capacity.

Trim it one or two coils at a time, checking function and capacity in between until you find the sweet spot...

I bought a new stainless steel follower from GG&G as I could not find the factory one from Mossberg. I was using the one I got from Choate:

9emety4e.jpg

I cut a few coils off the S&J spring and now I can load 7 rounds in the magazine.

I just received a plus 2 extension from S&J and although the website did not mention anything about a follower, they included a lime green magazine follower along with it.

Here's my S&J Hardware +2 extension. I have a CDM Gear MTR rail with a Streamlight TLR-1. I also have a Specter Gear 6 round buttstock shell holder:

ypumugaq.jpg

I took my 590A1 to the gun range today as I wanted fire it with my new S&J magazine extension. I pulled my 590A1 out of HD duty until I had a chance to take it to the range. I fired 70 rounds with a mix of #4 buckshot and 00 buckshot. No problems so I'm using the 590A1 for HD again.

Back