• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590 Pump Action Stock Options

The nut extends beyond sat the grip, it's just siezed up and can't budge it. I don't think it's ever been unscrewed

Re: 590A1 stock bolt

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=655

I have added virtually all stock options available to that thread and have tested a lot of them so far. Let me know if there are any you want more information about.
I am interested in a shorter stock. I have short arms and the stock, stock, has me feeling like I'm reaching for the sky. Which stock is proven? The Hogue, The Choate , 13 lop or the 12 lop?

I am interested in a shorter stock. I have short arms and the stock, stock, has me feeling like I'm reaching for the sky. Which stock is proven? The Hogue, The Choate , 13 lop or the 12 lop?

I tried the Hogue 12" LOP and I felt cramped, like my face was too close to the receiver under recoil... I have average length arms and didn't realize how much difference about 2" makes. If you notice, a wood stock, the base polymer stock and the short Hogue all had different measurements. I picked the Choate PG stock as it was adjustable and the 13.25" LOP felt the shortest for me, without any cramped feeling. Everyone is different, hard to say other than trial and error.

14and185mossy0001_zps7a34ae78.jpg

Hoguestock0001_zpsab3e7115.jpg

MossbergWoody10001_zpscceca594.jpg

Settled with the Choate without any spacers:
MossbergChoate_zps74535b96.png

I tried the Hogue 12" LOP and I felt cramped, like my face was too close to the receiver under recoil... I have average length arms and didn't realize how much difference about 2" makes. If you notice, a wood stock, the base polymer stock and the short Hogue all had different measurements. I picked the Choate PG stock as it was adjustable and the 13.25" LOP felt the shortest for me, without any cramped feeling. Everyone is different, hard to say other than trial and error.

14and185mossy0001_zps7a34ae78.jpg

Hoguestock0001_zpsab3e7115.jpg

MossbergWoody10001_zpscceca594.jpg

Settled with the Choate without any spacers:
MossbergChoate_zps74535b96.png
Does Mossberg have a youth stock? And I watched a video where a guy put one of the hogue stocks on his 590 A1 and he said the wall of the hogue was much thiner than the stock mossberg stock. Did you find that to be the case with the choate stock?

Does Mossberg have a youth stock? And I watched a video where a guy put one of the hogue stocks on his 590 A1 and he said the wall of the hogue was much thiner than the stock mossberg stock. Did you find that to be the case with the choate stock?

I don't know what you mean about the "wall" of the stock and can't really compare as I sold the polymer stock that came on my 590A1. The Choate stock at the buttpad is a little thicker than my remaining wood stock, but it's obvious that your cheekweld and weight would probably be a little different. The Choate pictured above is my favorite, only drawback is that you can't reach the safety with your thumb anymore.

I've never held a shotgun with a youth stock, but I believe a 12" LOP may be standard (meant for a teen or a woman). Of course, I haven't had one to measure exactly. A lot of guys on the Canadian gun forums are putting on the Magpul stock which is supposed to have great ergonomics, allows the thumb safety use and has spacers for sizing. Of course, I haven't tried this one either. A little on the expensive side, but I only hear good reviews.
nycLUePl.jpg

I couldn't say if the Hogue has a thinner wall or not, but the Hogue is all I've used in a long time. If you're concerned about it being a thinner wall and that being an issue, you have nothing to worry about.

OFM does make a youth stock, they also used to make a shorter stock for the 590s in wood but it was black.

I just can't see myself liking a thumbhole stock on a pump shotgun.

Sorry if it’s been covered.

I “searched” here and googled but came up empty;

Anyone know if a Mossy 500c 20Ga stock will fit a 590 receiver?

TIA

It will, but will be more narrow and thin than the receiver. Usually, it's better to use a 12 gauge receiver on a 20 gauge rather than the other way around.

Yes, if you're going to mismatch the parts, it's better to use a 12 gauge stock (500A/590) on a 20 gauge (500C) receiver because the 12 gauge will be a little wider.

While a 20 gauge stock will fit onto a 12 gauge receiver, it will be more narrow and thinner than it should be.

Back