• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590 Pump Action Stock Options

Need your advice for 590A1 new stock

Shoot me a message if u decide to sell your speedfed after getting something else.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk

Re: Need your advice for 590A1 new stock

Hi kosta

Do u have an issue with the length ?

i got one from kalkanzako dipla sta ktel ston kifiso (40 eyro)

i cut it 2 cm and mod the recoil with my dremmel

100_3620a.jpg

100_3619a.jpg

now it fits me very nice

later i ll paint the recoil with transparend nail polish to give a shiny texture and done.

Dimsot, Nice work on the stock!

of topic, I really like your avatar! I used to play DOOM all the time and still try to make that face with my eyes and eyebrows going back and forth! :D

Rossignol said:
Dimsot, Nice work on the stock!

of topic, I really like your avatar! I used to play DOOM all the time and still try to make that face with my eyes and eyebrows going back and forth! :D

Sorry for the off topic

Yes it was my favorite game ?

For me doom ,warcraft, diablo & starcraft was the best games ever in their time

Long time listener, first time caller...

I'm on the verge of buying a 590. However, I want a collapsible stock so my son and I can shoot the same gun. However, I don't want a pistol grip - too many drawbacks (especially related to the safety) and the ATI stuff feels cheap and breakable to me.

So, I'm looking for someone that makes a collapsible stock but maintains the traditional grip and can withstand a little abuse now and then (that kid could break just about anything :shock: ).

Ideas?

Thanks in advance.

EricStanley, great havin you here on MO, Welcome!!!

A collapsible stock with traditional grip... I dont know of any.

How tall are you and how tall is your son? I ask cuz I'm 5'10" and my daughter is 4'11". We shoot the same 12" LOP stock from Hogue.

I know that isnt much help, but I dont know of any other systems. You could check in the 500 section for the stocks listed there. If it works on a 500, it will work on the 590! ;)

I'm 6-2. He's... shorter... whatever the normal height is for a 14yr old, I guess. I don't know how tall he is at the moment. When we checked out 590s at the local shop he had a hard time getting his finger solidly on the trigger without getting his whole head/neck/shoulders completely out of alignment and completely straightening his trigger arm. I'm concerned that being that stretched around will cause some problems when it recoils. They had the 500 "tactical" with the pistol grip and AR style stock. With that stock collapsed he could reach the trigger no problem and his body wasn't all contorted.

But I just didn't like the pistol grip and the stock felt cheap.

I found the ATI Akita stock online. Anyone have experience with it?

The Akita? I think DHonovich on here has had one... if not I'm certain someone has.

I'm not able to do the search right now man, I'm leavin for work, but I believe there may be a review thread on it...

Eric:
The nice part of short LOP stocks is that they eliminate the need for adjustable stocks for the most part. A larger framed shooter can shoot a short LOP stock easily. I'm 6- 2and have a 37" sleeve. I very easily shoot my Hogue ShortShot without any problem. The short LOP stocks let you shoot squared up and more easily absorb recoil.
Just something to think about.

m24shooter said:
The short LOP stocks let you shoot squared up and more easily absorb recoil.

I'm 5' 10" and this is exactly why I like mine too!

This is more of a "I hope I didn't screw anything up questions"
so yesterday I went full retard and was trying to take my sf stock off not with a screw driver but by spinning it in circles... Yeah I know. Anyways I noticed a few plastic shavings on the inside and that it was not screw all the way in. Stock is secure but just want to be sure it's not messed up or anything! Thanks

If the stock went back on and the screws clamp it securely, you are probably ok. You may have weakened the threads with the removed shavings so don't over tighten them and use the screw driver in the future. You have tough weapon there but the stock is still plastic. Good luck.

Ok, guys, I need some help (and sorry if I make silly "stock options" jokes... I sat through a 401k presentation yesterday). As I posted in another thread, I'm a shotgun newb. In fact, my first time ever shooting a shotgun was about a week ago today. I recently bought a 590 model number 50660 from a friend of a friend for home defense and shooting it last Friday made me realize that the length of pull is a bit long for me at 5' 9" and will be much too long for my wife at around 5' 4". So, from my research (reading the threads here and at Shotgun World) I have a lot of choices, which I've boiled down to a few. What follows is my list and my thought process:

• Hogue 13" (perhaps 12") LOP stock - From the sounds of it, a lot of the people on this forum LOVE their Hogue 13" or 12" LOP stocks. I think every thread about stocks on this forum mentions Hogue. That speaks volumes to me.
  • Blackhawk (Knoxx) CompStock - Built on the Hogue platform, but with recoil reduction built-in. I'm familiar shooting rifles (my grandpa and I used to go out to shoot muskrat with a .22 when I was a kid), but the kick of this shotgun (especially using my home defense rounds) was kind of ridiculous. And yes, I kept it tight against my shoulder ;). I think the recoil reduction would help both me and my wife shoot this during practice and still be able to use our right arm the next day.
  • Blackhawk (Knoxx) SpecOps Adjustable - When I went out to the range last Friday, my friend brought his Benelli M4. I'd never shot a long gun with a pistol grip stock before and it felt good. I started looking into them as soon as I got home and this was what came up over and over. I'm looking at the Gen I rather than the Gen II because I read over and over that the handles snapped off the Gen II. Also, this comes with or without recoil reduction.
  • Mesa Tactical LEO Telescoping Stock Kit - The most expensive of all that are on my list. My friend's Benellii had a Mesa Tactical stock on it, so I looked at what they had to offer for 590's. I haven't read much about this kit, but my friend swears by Mesa Tactical. The kicker: the recoil reducing version is roughly $100 more than non-recoil reducing.

So, that's what I have so far. What I'm looking for is help deciding. I'd like advice from people who have used any combination of these stocks (or maybe something else they love) to weigh in on my choices. What does one do better than another? What don't you like about X that you like about Y? I know it's ultimately up to me to choose what's right for me, but it's so hard at first with so many choices! It'd be nice if I could try all of these stocks before I bought, but I guess that's not really an option :). Thanks in advance!

Hi Bryan!

I regularly advocate the Hogue! I think the 12" would be great for you both!!! I would like you to hear opinions other than my own however.

If you were to do the Hogue 12" plus the Limbsaver, your LOP would be 13" and youd have lots of recoil absorbing material there! I use the 12" Hogue on its own but I'm not particularly recoil sensitive.

I do like the idea of that comp stock, but its built with a Hogue! ;)

I will give you my dissinting opinion on the other stocks though;
I like a traditional stock, getting a cheek weld is the same as it has always been with every long gun I've ever fired with the exception of my AR.
Additionally, the controls of the Mossberg arent particularly easy to manipulate with a pistol grip stock like an adjustable AR styled stock.

Havin said that, others have used AR styled stocks with no problems manipulating controls at all so take it for what its worth.

Thanks Rossignol! I kind of feel the same way about the AR-style stocks. Especially since I just have the bead on this one and nothing fancy for sights (and I don't plan to get fancy with sights). When you say Hogue 12" + Limbsaver, do you mean a slip-on Limbsaver or one of the screw-on ones? If I remember one or two of the threads here, the slip-on is thicker than the screw-on. Anyway, maybe I just need to get out and shoot it more and try to become less "recoil sensitive", as you put it :), because trying to play guitar the next day was a challenge.

Back