• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590 Pump Action Stock Options

For what it's worth,

I use the Hogue 12" L.O.P. on my 590a1 and the Knoxx recoil reducing stock on my 590. They both have their advantages depending on your needs.

The Hogue 12: L.O.P. - As others have stated it's hard to find a better stock to allow the shooter to square up behind the weapon. Having a comfortable control over the shotgun is a key factor in mitigating recoil. If you feel like you're having to reach for the pump, then you're already at a disadvantage. The shorter L.O.P. reduces the overall length which brings more of the weight closer in to your body making it easier to support its weight for longer periods of time. Adding a slip-on Limbsaver will add 1" to the overall length of the stock (13" on total mine) and make shooting full power 12ga loads feel like you're get'n tapped with a marshmallow. I use my 590a1 Hogue + Limbsaver set-up when I'm planning on putting a LOT of rounds through it. I broke the set-up in with 100 rounds of 2-3/4" slugs and went back the next day for some more. I couldn't believe how plush it was. The more traditional style grip does allow much easier manipulation of the action release and safety. For it's increased maneuverability, simplicity, and ease of operation, my 590a1 + Hogue set-up is my go to home defense shotgun.

Blackhawk Knoxx Recoil Reducing Stock - This stock does an AMAZING job of mitigating recoil and the adjustable L.O.P makes it highly adaptable to multiple shooters. My 590 started life as a PGO (pistol grip only) model and I upgraded to the Knoxx after getting used to the different style grip. The only downside with the Knoxx due to the pistol grip, is an awkward reach to the action release and the safety. My 590 + Knoxx is used almost exclusively for putting slugs on target at the shooting range. I mostly shoot it seated which severely limits my ability to get square behind the weapon, but the Knoxx system does an excellent job of absorbing recoil so my body doesn't have to. In this situation, the pistol grip allows for more comfortable control over the shotgun with my arm resting on the bench much like shooting a rifle.

Ok, so that was a lot more than I originally intended to post but I hope it helps.

Nicely done LES!

I dont have any experience with the Knoxx or similar stocks and am unable to comment at all. Youve done a nice job detailing the differences between the two styles!

Thanks man!

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Blackhawk Knoxx Recoil Reducing Stock...

By this you mean the SpecOps stock, right? You mentioned the pistol grip, so I assume you're not talking about the CompStock.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Ok, so that was a lot more than I originally intended to post but I hope it helps.

That helps a ton. Thank you!

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Adding a slip-on Limbsaver will add 1" to the overall length of the stock (13" on total mine) and make shooting full power 12ga loads feel like you're get'n tapped with a marshmallow.

Which slip-on Limbsaver do you have? I just searched Cheaper Than Dirt and it looks like there are a bazillion different models.

I have a 12"LOP Hogue and the Limbsaver 10546 (small) fits it perfectly. I tried it without the Hogue pad on on it and it was a little loose fiitting and the LOP was to short for me.

From the Limbsaver package I have:
Small fits: 4 1/2-4 13/16 inch x 1 1/2-1 5/8 inch wide stock. Adds 1" to LOP
Medium fits: 4 13/16-5 1/8 inch x 1 5/8-1 3/4 inch wide stock. Adds 1" to LOP
Small/Medium: 4 5/8-5 1/8 inch x 1 5/8-1 3/4 inch wide stock. Add 1/2" to LOP

I believe the medium fits a standard Mossberg 590 stock and the small best fits a 12" LOP Hogue or similar shorter stock.

I hope this helps. Double check sizes before ordering. Good Luck!

BryanForbes said:
Which slip-on Limbsaver do you have? I just searched Cheaper Than Dirt and it looks like there are a bazillion different models.

I run the SMALL slip-on, Limbsaver SKU# 10546...

Where can I get the Mossberg 590A1 adjustable stock?

I just ordered a 590A1 51663. I was really wanting the 51670 with the adjustable stock but couldn't find it anywhere. So now I'd like to find that adjustable stock and try it out to see if I even like it. But I can't seem to find who makes the one that comes from Mossberg. I know several companies make adjustable stocks for this gun but none I've found seem to be the exact on that Mossberg uses. I like the look of the factory one better than what I've found and also the angle and texture of the pistol grip seems fairly unique from what I've found. Can I get the factory adjustable stock like comes on the 51670? Who makes it?

Thanks.

I hope I haven't missed something really obvious and wasted anybody's time. I have been searching for this information myself for a while and haven't been able to find it. I couldn't find these for sale at Mossberg's online store either.

Welcome aboard and congrats on the new A1.

I've got the model 51663 myself and it's been an outstanding weapon. The factory adjustable stocks are from ATI if I remember correctly. They are one of our site sponsors and you can find them on the main page in our vendor section...

#10546 as well.
Those 3" Winchester slugs didn't feel like any marshmallow to me :p
What's the proper grip on the Hogue? I hit myself in the nose and read I'm not the only one. Do you put your thumb up more on the safety? I need more ammo and more practice ASAP !!

It happens.

Try moving your thumb around until you find a position that is comfortable and works for you. I tend to align my thumb along the top of the receiver on the right side of the safety instead of wrapping it over and around the grip. This keeps it out of the way of my nose and allows for fast, easy operation of the safety button...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
...The factory adjustable stocks are from ATI if I remember correctly. They are one of our site sponsors and you can find them on the main page in our vendor section...

Thanks for the help. I went to their site and didn't see any that looked like what Mossberg is putting on at the factory. It seems the angle is different. On the factory adjustable stock it appears that the stock angles down a little. But on all the ones on the ATI web site they appear to go straight back.

For what it's worth I tried the Speedfeed III stock. Wow, was I disappointed. I'm sending it back to Brownells. First I was expecting that it was a softer rubber surface like Mossberg puts on their 930 SPX Pistol grip and this Speedfeed was the very hard plastic. But the main thing was that the magazine stock was didn't seem like it would work well at all. It was hard to load rounds into it and all too easy for them to pop out uncontrollably when removing them. Definitely not something I would want on a defense/combat gun. Also it was a very long reach from the pistol grip to the trigger.

I'm now looking at going with the Mesa Tactical stock adapter which lets one use standard AR-15 stocks.

tactical stock for 590

The stock on my 590 is too long. Would like a tactical, recoil reducing, adjustable stock. Am I asking for too much in one stock. Have gone to some sights like midway but when you read the reviews on some of the stocks like what I am interested in it is not very encouraging. Thank you.

Re: tactical stock for 590

Welcome aboard!

I run a Blackhawk SpecOps recoil reducing stock on my 590...

It's a great stock and does a great job at reducing recoil. I you can find a Gen 1 you'll be good to go, but steer clear of the Gen 2 models. They've had a ton of issues with the newer "re-designed" models. There are also several models from ATI and many folks around here use them...

Re: tactical stock for 590

On advice from this forum I changed out the stock on my 590 to the Hogue short LOP. I'm 6'2" and with a slightly different hold and stance it is perfect. Also, it has a much improved buttpad over the stock one. Good luck.

Fill me in on stocks for my 500..........

I've got this old Revelation 310 AB (IIRC). 12g. 5-rnd tube. I've got two barrels for it, an 18.5 and a 30" that's been on it once in the past 8 years.

I'm thinking about changing out the stock/forend on it, and mounting a light for use as a dedicated HD gun. I'm pretty sure it's got the longer of the two forend tubes.

I wasn't much on the idea of a pistol grip stock with the tang safety, until I fingered one up at a gun shop the other week.

So what's a good collapsible? Whats a good folder? Are the plastic/polymer/whatever folders strong enough to stand up to recoil long-term? Whats a good forend? Railed, preferably.

Re: Fill me in on stocks for my 500..........

Good morning my old friend. It's good to see you.

If you are into spending about $150, magpul is going to release a stock and forend, though I'm not a fan of it. The forend doesn't look all that bad, but I don't think they're available with any kind of rails.

I've had an Ergo aluminum railed forend on mine for several years, and it is very good. I think I paid about $65 or $70 for it when I bought it, but has been a while.

I also have an ATI plastic M4 style grip/stock on mine that I recently swapped the stock for a magpul moe. The buffer tube is plastic, but has held up to everything I have thrown at it.

The newer stocks have better (redesigned) grips that would be much of an improvement over the old one I have, but I've never had a problem with mine.

But beware of the side folding ones in that style. That big hump where the lock/release is, have been known to give the shooter a kiss occasionally.

And if you want to go all out, I like the mesa tactical high tube adapter, hogue overmolded grip, and falcon f93 stock. :).

sure, that would probably total more than you paid for the whole gun, but I like the way it looks LOL

Good morning, bud.

I was looking at the Ergo forends, and think that's probably the way I'm gonna go.

On the ATI M4-style stocks, is the grip removable? I'm a big fan of the Hogue "overmolded" grip on ARs, and would probably want to add one.

I don't know if I want a collapsible, folder, or what. The shotgun I was looking at that got me thinking about this had a pistol grip stock on it, like the old Franchi/Benelli/HK shotguns had, and I liked the feel of it. ATI makes one in their "traditional" line.

No, unfortunately the ATI grip isn't removable.

The only ones I think that allow different AR grips is Mesa Tactical (which I recommended earlier) and Cavalry Arms buttstock adapters.

Both of which are very proud of their products, if you catch my drift (they're expensive)

The ATI buffer tube is a commercial size and will accept different stocks though. That's how I swapped it out to a magpul moe instead of the old M4 style.

Back