• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590 Shockwave 12 Gauge Shotgun Barrel Damage, Normal Ware or Damage?

tkolba

Copper BB
Hello everyone, I recently bought my first gun a mossberg 590 shockwave 12 gauge. 2 days ago I was cleaning the barrel and noticed what looks like damage in the barrel.

92943903-C6A3-4BC9-87CD-B61767A04F5C.png A37AF3DB-7185-4E7B-BD99-20929AAD8D51.png 479DDDA7-EE85-4761-B0A5-0C383844F6E6.png 6564DEB6-71DA-4982-9A7B-5EA15E0A3C12.jpeg

Theres paint missing and scratches i am going to attach pictures. I shot two rounds of magnesium or “dragons breath” shotgun shells. Also i have shot at least 100-200 rounds of steel buckshot out of it. Im not sure if this is normal wear or damage. Either way I believe it is still useable i just want to hear everyones opinions so i dont do it to any shotguns i may get in the future. Also i thought maybe it was build up but I have cleaned it throughly and nothing came off.

Don't shoot boutique rounds. Over 10k rounds through my 870 and my Mossbergs with nothing like this in the barrels. And I do not baby my guns.

Shot a couple tracers through my AK once and got corossion like I've never seen before.

Hard to tell from the pictures where the corrosion in the barrel actually is but you might want to use a bore scope to check out the damage. The area of most concern would be the chamber area because severe pitting due to corrosion can change the chamber pressure dramatically when a round is fired.

Guess the other questions is, are you absolutely certain it's magnesium? I vaguely remember someone asking about dragons breath composition when they first came out and I thought the manufacturer said they didn't use magnesium. But could be faulty memory. I'd check to make sure before trying to clean the residue.

Bottomline - Don't shoot speciality rounds in any gun.

Regards

Looks like the damage is around the end of the chamber to me.

I would suggest bore scoping the barrel. You can get a cheap USB scope off debay that plugs into your phone for $20 or so. I think the damage is probably a combination of the DB shells eroding the bore throat, removing the hardening from the factory, then steel buck finishing the job.

I never understood why someone would use DB shells other than the "novelty" of it and/or to set someone/something on fire. Here in FL, they are illegal probably more so due to the wildfire-causing potential. A Molotov cocktail would probably be better tactically, anyway. ;)

After you scope it, you might try smoothing the bore in that area with a nylon bristle brush chucked up in a drill motor and maybe a little extra-fine valve grinding compound or perhaps car polishing compound or maybe even tooth paste. I would start fine and go coarser if needed, checking with the scope along the way. Note that I've never tried "buffing" a shotgun barrel bore but a similar method is used for smoothing a rough chamber in a rifle.

I couldn't tell you what kind of service/warranty you should expect from Mossberg regarding your "issue". I would venture a guess DB shell damage would not be covered under warranty. :(

BTW, Welcome Aboard! :)

Wrap some 0000 steel wool over a wooden dowel and chuck it in a drill, soak it in CLP/gun oil and polish the chamber/bore up

12 gauge barrels benefit from bore polishing anyway and should get rid of the pits/corrosion

And sell the rest of those silly boutique rounds off while you're at it -

I can't agree ricky bobby.

The heat treament of the metal is shot.

Quite literally.

Which means that it no longer has the rating that it's supposed to have and as we all know, chamber pressures of a gun is where the pressure is the highest.

Can he get by with continuing to shoot it? Probably. For how long? Is anyones guess.

But my point I was trying to make is even if you clean the corrosion off, the metal is compromised regardless.

Oh I agree completely - dont think he will solve the problem

I just am curious to see how it looks after cleaned up? I.E. how much visible damage that it was actually done

Back